4.5 DIY Cube planted November 9th 2013
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
terrapedes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

4.5 DIY Cube planted November 9th 2013

Just sent in an order for glass for a cube I want to build! I've never made a tank before

specs: 25x25x30 cm somewhere around 5g I think. I also want to have it a little taller than the sides, so that after I put in the substrate the space that is left over is close to the width of the tank.

I'm probably going to have a lid made from acrylic (PMMA), something simple with a space cut out for the filter.

I'm going to order a Azoo mignon 60 filter after the weekend, and probably going to be without heater, my place is usually around 72F (20-23C) so that's ok. I've been looking for black sand in the LFS with out success, and then it hit me, duh all the beaches here are black sand!!! So I'll be collecting some sand soon, before it gets to cold

Lighting will be in the form of an IKEA work lamp with a CFL bulb.

Flora will be cuttings from my "big" tank,

Possible candidates:
Anubias Barteri Nana Petite, attached to a small piece of driftwood or a locally sourced lava rock.
Hygrophila Polysperma Rosanervig
Hygrophila Polysperma
Ludwigia Repens
Hemiantus micranthemoides
Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia
Cryptogyne something or the other

Fauna... maybe a betta or some tiny fishes I really want to get some Sundanio Axelrodi, but I probably won't:/ We'll just see what my favorite fish guy has for me when it is ready and cycled.

Anyways I just had to share!

Last edited by terrapedes; 11-21-2013 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: because reasons
terrapedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I'm excited to see this progress. Looks really well planned.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looking forward to seeing more updates on this build! I have been considering making a tank but wasn't sure how it prices out compared to buying something similar already made.
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
terrapedes
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by difrent7 View Post
Looking forward to seeing more updates on this build! I have been considering making a tank but wasn't sure how it prices out compared to buying something similar already made.

Well if I were in the States I could probably build it very cheap, and get a cheap filter. I'm very envious of your cheap filters >.<

The average price here for a nano tank is 165$, I found one for less but I also found one that was more. I'm not even going to tell you about the import taxes and handling fee that I have to pay if I order stuff from abroad. Every time hear you guys talk about prices I hear Cartman (from South Park) saying "you bastrard" in my head OK no more complaining!!!

The glass is 9000ISK (74$) with polished edges, I'm going to ask for unpolished edges so it should be less than that, I'll know how much less tomorrow.

peace
Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
xev11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Good luck with the project. I've been to Iceland and really enjoyed it. Great scenery, history, food, and locals. I went during the volcano eruptions a few years ago and had a few adventures.
Nikon Pimp #41
xev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
twkoch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

subscribed!
twkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Chizpa305
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I did a very good plastic lid for my 5 gal aquarium once. But I ended up removing it because it bent a little from the heat of the light. It also accumulated droplets of condensed water and made it look a little ugly.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
terrapedes
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post
I did a very good plastic lid for my 5 gal aquarium once. But I ended up removing it because it bent a little from the heat of the light. It also accumulated droplets of condensed water and made it look a little ugly.
I haven't decided if I want to have a lid made, at the moment it's out of my budget.

I changed my mind a little from what I had planed, I ordered all glass panels in 6mm (1/4 inch) and also changed the size so I could glue it together with the bottom on the inside instead of glueing the sides on top of the bottom, in my opinion that looks better.
Glass will hopefully arrive on Wednesday, the plan is to silicone it together when I get it on Wednesday. I'll keep you all posted
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

looks like a fun project. Building tanks is fun!

Doing a floating bottom isn't recommended unless you have some sort of frame to hold the glass. Its just not as strong. It will work but not recommended. I just recently rebuilt a 10g tank and did a flat bottom and it looks pretty slick IMO
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

can't wait to see this project come along
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
terrapedes
Algae Grower

Default Finally!

Finally found some time to stick this thing together! You'll have to excuse the sideways picture.

As I was putting silicone on the glass the gun broke so I had some problems, and there is silicone all over the glass, I'll need to use a glass scraper to clean it up That thing was brand new too!

Here is the filter, pre filters, Seachem Matrix, and Flourish that I ordered. I have already cut off the bottom of the sponges in the filter and put some Matrix in it. The filter media is going to go into my established tank to seed.
I also have a 25w heater I found in a LFS, it's from Flamingo and is about 8" long and has adjustable heat. The link is to the heater.

Now all I have to get is the sand, black beach sand, sieve it to get rid of bigger particulates, rinse it and boil it. I already went to a lava field and collected some small lava stones and I also found a small piece of driftwood.

But before any of this goes into the tank I have to wait 2 days and test it for leaks.
Wish me luck
Old 11-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
terrapedes
Algae Grower

Default planted!

Front view

finally planted, ended up using old gravel that I had with Tetra Crypto root tabs. I'll probably end up taking out the lava rocks and replace it with dw, if I ever find a nice piece, and attaching anubias petite to it, I'm just waiting for it to grow out a little bit more in my "big" tank before I take cuttings.

Side view

Top view

Flora
Alternanthera Reineckii
Ludwigia Repens
Hygrophylia Polysperma rosanervig
Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae
Lemna Minor
Pistia Stratiotes

Fauna
one pond snail that snuck in (no I did not notice it!!!)
once my baby mystery snails grow a little bit bigger I'll put a few in (temporarily), I'm afraid of crushing them now they are so tiny.
Meet Pollux, he is moving in once it is cycled.

The filter is waiting for a transformer (??) bought it from the states where there is 120V we have 220V here.
The heater will be but in later today to speed things up growing wise, also thinking of putting in an airstone along with some cory eggs, there is a storm and they have gone spawning crazy! I only have 3 peppered and 3 schwartzii that could be responsible, I think it's the peppered
P.s I also have 8 pygmy cory, I love cories!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Nice job on the tank!
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
terrapedes
Algae Grower

Thanks I can't wait for it to grow in!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #15
terrapedes
Algae Grower

Default 10 days

Ten days! Some growth, not that much...I always forget to put in the fertilizer. I saved some cory eggs from my big tank and put them in there, probably will not work. But I'm finally seeing the fry in the egg, they are starting to show through the shell

Can you see the cory eggs??