Has anyone ever tried this - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice Tank fplata, I love the whole rimless look. One day...

I was only asking because before I put dirt in my tank I only had gravel with no real plants. I would be limited on the amount of time I can gravel vac for because I didn't want to change out too much water at once. I've also never had a planted tank till a few weeks ago, so I'm new to the game. didn't realize most people didn't vacuum out there gravel.

I still think it could be beneficial to have though, because there might be cases when you could use it.

flight50 - Ya, I think skimming the surface could be one of the benefits, just to pick up loose stuff along the bottom. The reason why I was asking about having the water be pumped back into the tank is so that you can clean for as long as you want without having to stop.

Thanks for the input though.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

In high tech thanks its common to do 50% water changes multiple times a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cleaning or not cleaning a planted tank is a debate. There are some that do it, but there are others that won't do it at all.

There's the belief that organic residue accumulates with time forming the recipe for an algal bloom. I don't agree with this belief but others swear it fixed the algae problem. So, from this point on, you will have to choose a side
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
etk300ex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

In my 55 I vacuum half the substrate each week which is about 20 gallons. That is more than enough. Don't be too clean!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:34 AM   #20
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoveringmypath View Post
The reason why I was asking about having the water be pumped back into the tank is so that you can clean for as long as you want without having to stop.

Thanks for the input though.
I understand the intent. But with regular tank maintenance, you won't really have to do a lot at once all the time. Clean concentrated areas first and graze thru the rest. Once you reach the point of water you want removed, stop and repeat on the next water change. If there is loads of debris build up, there is an issue some where. Plants are deprived of nutrients or light. Lower plants that are shadowed, loose their lower leaves. Plants that don't get the proper nutrient uptake, will shed it leaves. You don't have to clean the entire substrate in one tank cleaning. Its does no harm to leave some behind.

The cleaning substrate topic is definitely a debate. I clean mine due to my bottom feeders. I love my cories and will do anything I can to make sure they don't live in crude. Poor water conditions at the substrate level will erode their barbels. Its not sharp substrate like most claim with even having experience with it. I have keep cories with flourite for more than 10 years with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk300ex View Post
In my 55 I vacuum half the substrate each week which is about 20 gallons. That is more than enough. Don't be too clean!
+1. I vacuum more concentrated areas first. Then move around with the available volume of water I have left before my % of water I want remove is reached. Water level drops pretty fast when your in the groove of cleaning. Go ahead and stop once you reach the % you want remove and pick up where you left off at a later date.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #21
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight50 View Post
I understand the intent. But with regular tank maintenance, you won't really have to do a lot at once all the time. Clean concentrated areas first and graze thru the rest.
I guess you have a point here. I think the key lesson is to do regular water changes.

I think I like the idea of the device that allows you to clean the bottom of the tank for as long as you want. In the end, I think I wouldn't use it as often as I thought I would.

Tags
clean, filter, gravel, pump, water