Lighting my 10 gallon aqurium - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

one thing to consider when making your decision is bulb replacements... T5HO its common to replace your bulbs twice a year (every 6 months), at $20 per bulb that's $80-160 a year for a 4 bulb fixture - you could probably just use 2 bulbs at a time then in 6 months switch to the other 2 bulbs then 6 months later replace 2 bulbs to keep it at the $80 a year cost), with LED's you're looking at 50,000+ hours of use or more (they rate them at 50,000 hours but most say they last forever... I consider 50,000 hours to be the life expectancy = about 10 or 11 years before I have to replace the fixture). So $140 every 10 years for the LED fixture or $870 every 10 years for T5HO / replacement bulbs... obviously its easier to spend the $70 now and smaller amounts when you replace bulbs, but overall its more expensive - not to mention T5HO uses more electricity than LED's so power bill is more... but it is your decision in the end, I had people trying to talk me in to more expensive lights but went against their advise for what would fit my pocketbook so I know where you're coming from =)
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Are you going to use the marine bulbs?
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I don't think it hurts to use the marine bulbs from what I've read... might not have optimum coloring for red plants and such, but shouldn't effect PAR. I'm running marine bulbs on my 55, figured once its time to replace them I'll replace them with the correct bulbs... but it is something else to consider when buying the fixture is that your color spectrum is for marine, although from what I've read the color spectrum has little to do with success in plants as long as they have a full spectrum to get the reds/blues they need.

I'm by no means an expert, just my understanding from my own research on the subject... correct me if I'm wrong..
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Here is the set up I was talking about
Italionstallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium, gallon, lighting, ten