Link between BBA and Eco-Complete?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
kdv9tb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Link between BBA and Eco-Complete?

I have a question for the plant genius' that know much more than me.. Is there a link between BBA and Eco-Complete (EC)? I know all my tanks that I have used EC, I have a BBA problem. Other tanks, that use just inert sand I have no problems. The only variable is the EC.

Now if there is a link, can you explain what it is, and why EC would increase the chances of BBA forming?
kdv9tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

most likely its just that the eco complete is giving off nutrients vs the no nutrients that an inert sand has.
its not likely that the eco complete is the carrier, its more likely just that where you've had it, the BBA was given a better chance to thrive. make sense?
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestle_ View Post
most likely its just that the eco complete is giving off nutrients vs the no nutrients that an inert sand has.
its not likely that the eco complete is the carrier, its more likely just that where you've had it, the BBA was given a better chance to thrive. make sense?
Eco-Complete doesn't have nutrients. It's pretty much inert except for the liquid micro mix that's included in the bag it's shipped in.

Most people will tell you that bba is caused by fluctuations in CO2 levels. Others will say it's directly linked to organic load. Whatever the case, you need to give more info about your tank so we can figure out what's wrong. Eco-complete itself doesn't cause bba but something else in your tank might.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I fought bba with EC , never saw it whit sand gravel size #1-#3 mix. Had to crank up my co2 a little more and use h202 best way for it to work is shut every thing off for a hour or 2 and the next day it will start to die off
http://www.gpodio.com/h2o2.asp
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote