Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share. - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > The Planted Tank FAQ

Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #211
frenchie1001
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

At a guess, your over dosing co2 and the plants can't use it so the algea is jumping on it
frenchie1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #212
aroos_tpt
Algae Grower

Can CO2 be overdosed? Wouldn't it kill the fish first?
aroos_tpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #213
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroos_tpt View Post
Can CO2 be overdosed? Wouldn't it kill the fish first?
Yea it happened to me on my 20gal. I didn't have the NV set right or I thought it was set right but 5HRS later everything dead 15-20 neon tetras, 2 glow tetras, 2 Siamese algae eaters, my 3 Cory's were weak and so was my yoyo loach. A lot of death that morning. When it's to high (CO2) you will see the fish gasp for air at the top of the water in the tank then after they will be floating upside down. If it ever happens to anyone n u catch it in time put an air stone connected to a air pump and get as much air as u can in the tank and either shut the CO2 off or turn it down.

Last edited by newbieplanter; 10-14-2013 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Add
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #214
aroos_tpt
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear about your losses :-(
My fish are doing pretty good tho. No gasping, or weird behavior. So I think my CO2 isn't yet at killing levels.
However, my bobble counter is going crazy with too many bobbles to count. And the inline diffuser fills tank with lots of mini bobbles.
I am wondering if it's normal. Maybe for 80 gal tank it is how much is needed.
What you think?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #215
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroos_tpt View Post
Sorry to hear about your losses :-(
My fish are doing pretty good tho. No gasping, or weird behavior. So I think my CO2 isn't yet at killing levels.
However, my bobble counter is going crazy with too many bobbles to count. And the inline diffuser fills tank with lots of mini bobbles.
I am wondering if it's normal. Maybe for 80 gal tank it is how much is needed.
What you think?
Yea I don't even run a bubble counter on my custom 70 just have 2 drop checkers an they stay light green with no problem from the fish n my plants are over grown right now I cant seem to get rid of my duckweed and ricca that's floating everywhere ill toss a bunch and its back in a week lol u should see the apongeton I just took out 24" long with a ton of plantlets.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #216
aroos_tpt
Algae Grower

Yeah, mine also grows huge and very fast too.

So I almost doubled the CO2 dose today. All fish still doing fine. Shrimps went close to the surface tho - that maybe a sign.
Will give it a week and see what happens.
Whole tank looks like filled with soda water - don't really like that much bobbles - maybe I should ditch the inline diffuser.
The idea was it would be more efficient and better dissolve CO2 - therefore I would need pump in less. But it doesn't seem to make much difference :-(
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #217
Scorpion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
*Note: These model numbers are for solenoids with a 1/8" female NPT ports on either side. If you wish to have different port sizes, I can forward you the PDF with the appropriate information.
Care to share that pdf you offer?

Thanks
EPC Member #27
Scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #218
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Care to share that pdf you offer?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure they are on the respective manufacturer pages, but if you want a specific one, PM me which one you want, and I will dig through my files.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #219
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

If there are no fish then can you overdose c02?
tattooedfool83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #220
Takeshi
Algae Grower

So I recently set up a paintball CO2 with an ASA valve and a Watts LFA 41 needle valve...does anyone know why I'm unable to control the bubble flow with the needle valve? I've already killed 3 fish...possibly due to the fact that it either gives me like 10 bubbles per second or no bubbles per second...
Takeshi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #221
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeshi View Post
So I recently set up a paintball CO2 with an ASA valve and a Watts LFA 41 needle valve...does anyone know why I'm unable to control the bubble flow with the needle valve? I've already killed 3 fish...possibly due to the fact that it either gives me like 10 bubbles per second or no bubbles per second...
It's the needle valve those are no good it's so hard to get the precision u need for 1-3BPS u can get it but its hard the easy way is take the diffuser off an put the end of the hose in water not tank water till u get the amt of bps u want then put the diffuser on and put in the tank.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #222
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
If there are no fish then can you overdose c02?
No, but at some point, the CO2 you are injecting will just be wasted.

Quote:
The needle valve (really, more of a flow valve) will not help control the CO2 flow rate to the level that we require in our hobby. I would suggest you get a needle/metering valve that is capable of reducing the flow to much lower levels.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #223
Takeshi
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
No, but at some point, the CO2 you are injecting will just be wasted.

The needle valve (really, more of a flow valve) will not help control the CO2 flow rate to the level that we require in our hobby. I would suggest you get a needle/metering valve that is capable of reducing the flow to much lower levels.
I should have just read the pages before this....sorry about this over-asked question LOL. WellI think I''ve learned the hard way...I've already killed off a few of my fish... Thanks!
Takeshi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #224
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I should have just read the pages before this....sorry about this over-asked question LOL. WellI think I''ve learned the hard way...I've already killed off a few of my fish... Thanks!
If its still too high (co2 levels ) in tha tank what u can do is run an air pump with a stone for a little bit. That's only if u see the fish swimming at the top of the water once it's low enough they will start to swim lower in the tank.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 AM   #225
D90
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm having a problem with my vts 253a. I'm not sure why but the blow off valve opened and blasted gas out really loud. My delivery pressure maxed out the smaller gauge so it must have been higher than 30 psi. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot? Also, how do I close the blowoff valve after it's blown open?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
D90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.