Canopy questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Subtletanks91
Suspended

PTrader: (35/100%)

Canopy questions

Another thread from me I know, too many! But this time I have a question about a canopy, well more of a beta rack. I want to build a canopy rack on the top of my 55 to put beta jars, so it would have to be able to support the wait. But so you think 20 jars equal to about 10 pounds of water can easily be supported by a 55g aquarium?

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes, but with some thoughts involved.
Glass ends and sides standing on edge are nearly impossible to crush straight down and will hold a truck! But if the load is put on in a way that tends to push the sides or ends out, big trouble!
My thoughts would be to build a shelf that does not have ANY chance of bowing down in the middle or moving sideways so that the load gets a chance to push sideways.
This doesn't mean it has to be a massive deal made out of 2X12's. What I would want is a shelf built more like a "C" channel. A strongback if you are familiar with building. With ends that will keep it from working sideways if it is bumped, etc.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Subtletanks91
Suspended

I'm not familiar with much wood work. I took wood shop and helped remodel a few apartments, but it was nothing like what I want to do this time. Do you have a link?

Old 10-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

No website for the info but really pretty simple to build with a few tools. What I had in mind was a one inch thick board of whatever width you want the shelf. Maybe a 1X6 for betta jars? To keep it from bowing down in the middle if it is not supported, run a smaller board like 1X3 placed on edge. To make it as strong as possible, I like to use glue like Elmer's carpenter glue and then a few nails or screws to hold it while it dries. This board doesn't have to be very wide top to bottom. Being on edge, it is nearly impossible to bend it even as thin as 1X2. Looking at the end, you might want to see something that looks like an "H" but with short legs? This gives you an upper edge to hold things from sliding off and a bottom edge to hold the shelf on the tank top. If you make it just slightly longer than the tank and cut a small notch at the end so the leg of the "H" can drop down inside the lip of the tank, it can't move unless you really, hit it hard enough to lift it.
What you will have is a wooden version of an "I" beam. Very strong with minimum weight.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
Subtletanks91
Suspended

I'm trying to grasp the measurements and what your saying in my head lol. So basicaly make it about the same length as the tank a little longer, put side braces and a middle brace to support the middle weight, cut a hole in the muddle brace for my light to keep the front open? Maybe I'm just confusing myself

Old 10-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Nope. Making it more difficult than needed. My word pictures are not getting it done!
Just a flat board laid left/right across the top to hold the jars. But that will not be very strong and may bow down. The way to make it strong is by adding a small like 1X2 on edge at the front and back of the first board laid on the tank. When you look at the end of these, you might see it as a wide short "H"? Maybe a capital "I" turned on side?
This will make it strong so it won't bow down. Boards glued together like this are real strong.
But then if this is laid across the tank top, there is nothing to keep it from getting moved sideways and the end falling into the tank. Not good!
To stop this cut a small notch out of the side pieces so that the front and back boards can drop down 1/8 to 1/4 inch inside the tank lip.