FREE PLANTS/FISH/DRIFTWOOD in Naperville!! (taking down my tank)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 10-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
cwilson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

FREE PLANTS/FISH/DRIFTWOOD in Naperville!! (taking down my tank)

PLEASE READ entire post before replying. Thanks!

I am re-entering the reef hobby while simultaneously moving within the next month or so, and I want to use my 20H for a fuge/sump, so the entire contents of my planted tank have to go.

*NONE* OF THE EQUIPMENT IS FOR SALE* ....but I will sell you the stand once everything else is gone haha. It's flat black, been through one move and zero leaks/disasters! It's in great shape and I still have the internal self.

History

Plants and fish are mature and overall very healthy. All fish are, if memory is correct, around 3 years old. Plants are about the same age (all crypts are from 3 parent plants ). My fish load was always kept low, this has been a very quite, peaceful tank the entire time. Fish were fed newlife and hikari pellets and a variety of frozen. The plants were given Flourish Excel, Iron & Potassium initially, then just Iron and Potassium. Currently I'm am only using FlorinMulti by Brightwell.

Plants, all free!

Crypt - I have a TON of these. Big, small, new, old, etc. Dozens. Some leaves have a bit of what I refer to as "pube algae" (sorry, I dont know the name and it does look like it...), but that can be removed somewhat easily, or just cut the bad leaves. Free!! Come get them! I have a lot.

new home pending Anubias fern on lava rock- huge mature plant, a quick count showed 24 leaves big and small! Some of the older leaves have some black on them, but it doesn't spread fast and the plant is in good health. Free to a good home!

new home pending Amazon Sword- another beast, apx 16 leaves! Has a small bit of algae on a few leaves, but in good health. Roots have been undisturbed for 3 years!! NOTE: this plant has pretty much outgrown my 20H, and truth be told, I personally wouldn't put it in a 12" wide tank, there are lots of leaves on glass. But, I won't stop you hah. Free to a good home!

Fish, all free!

Bloodfin Tetra (X1)- in great health, nice bright fins! I had two up until about a year ago. I think I had two males, they did a lot of chasing each other...? He looooooves his blood worms. Free!

Black Neon Tetra (X4)- big, fat mature neons. Great color! One flickers slightly when he swims, but it isn't silly looking and hasn't been an issue. They loved frozen tubifex worms when I had them last. WILL NOT PART.

new home pending Emerald Green Cory Cat (X2) - M/F pair. Eggs showed up once about 18 months ago, nothing since though. Very happy and healthy! WILL NOT PART. These are the only fish I have ever been sentimental towards, I would really appreciate it if their new home was another nice, peaceful tank or cory enthusiast. Free to a good home!

Oto cats (X2) - these will be a huge PITA to find and catch, if you want them, just cross your fingers that we see them when you show up... Free if you're lucky!

DRIFTWOOD, for Free!

new home pending Hand-ish shaped piece of driftwood, apx 5 years old. It has spent it's entire life in that position. No base at all. Really fits the 20H well, it is roughly 16"L x 9"W x 14"H

ALSO FREE

Take my substrate! I forget what brand exactly, but it's the plant specific substrate. It's pretty dirty because I almost never siphon, but its super mature and has a bazillion roots and probably some root tabs still. Every small crypt in the tank is from a root baby. I've ripped out the front row(s) a few times and have just waited for the new plants to arrive. I have about 1.5" all around. Free, but if you want it you will have to wait until the plants and wood are gone... I'll just let you know when that is. Sorry!

I also have some random misc. sized stones that are up for the taking!

Location/Availability

I am in Naperville, very close to the Rt 59 exit on 88. *PICK UP ONLY. NO DELIVERIES OR MEET UPS* it's all free, you're coming here darn it. I can usually do weekend evenings, some weekday mornings (10-12) or weekday evenings (9 to 10). It will really depend on the day though. As of typing this, Saturday is looking pretty good.

Interested??? send replies to chriswilson 4 9 0 at gmail. I will be semi-slow to reply here, so if your serious use the email.

THANKS FOR LOOKING AND GIVING MY STUFF ANOTHER GOOD HOME!!

Last edited by cwilson; 10-04-2013 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: update list
cwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
cwilson
Algae Grower

all pics are from today. honestly that algae is a little thicker than I would want, but it's easy to tame!

Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
DragnX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can you please post pictures of your tank??
DragnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Chewal

pm sent
Chewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Beardie
Algae Grower

Sending an email...

P.S. Does the sword have any runners?

Last edited by Beardie; 10-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: More info
Beardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

PMed and e-mailed
Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 AM   #7
noch
Algae Grower

I'm def. in to drop by tomorrow and see what you got. I'll shoot you a PM.
noch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
cwilson
Algae Grower

most items have been claimed. please bother to read the post, and stop sending me PMs
Old 10-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
noch
Algae Grower

i see a few items pending but nothing says gone, in perticular the items im interested i, oto cats.
noch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
jayjigga
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Wahoo! Back to the darkside

Let's talk reef so they look at us weird...
jayjigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

I stopped by cwilsons house yesterday and picked up about 5 lbs. of crypts. Seriously there were more than 10 crypts.

Thank you so much for sharing your fish, plants, etc.
This is actually the second time I've received free plants from cwilson.

I just wanted to say I'm sure everyone who received free items really appreciates it. I know I do. If you do decide to go back to freshwater please let me know and I will share anything I have with you.

Thanks Again Chris,
Ed & Megan
Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
will5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5

Email sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

will5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
cwilson
Algae Grower

UPDATE: all gone. Thanks everyone!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
cwilson
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjigga View Post
Wahoo! Back to the darkside

Let's talk reef so they look at us weird...

OKAY!!

The 20H will become a refugium/return/3gal RO top off tank. My existing light will handle the fuge well. The display tank will be a 20L with a finnex LED or similar. Both will be on a metal stand for the 20L, with their light cycles about 6 hours apart or so. Livestock for display will ideally be 2 or 3 blue striped pipefish, with maybe one other extremely peaceful fish, and small clean up crew. Corals will be purely mushrooms and zoanthids, ideally many kinds of each. Because of the pipe's current requirements, I'll probably use a spray bar on the return to spread the flow a bit. I'm aiming for 300gph return, and using the bar to handle all the displays flow. I'm hoping the combination of skimmerless and slow steady current will make the mushrooms go absolutely berserk. If it proves to not be enough current, I have a few lower-flow maxijets collecting dust I can use.

It should be a super fun and, dare I say cheap, project
Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
trapperwolves
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wish you luck on your new project. Hope everything turns out as good as you expect.