Bathtub Pond - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
Fishumms
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Even if the raccoons get up it is to deep for them to catch anything , I have much shallower stock tans even a 50 gallon Rubbermaid , lots raccoons , opposums in area and it has never been an issue .

Wow really? I'm surprised. When I lived in Santa Monica I had a 150 gallon outdoor tank. It had two rubbermaid cans for the filter. I would catch raccoons swimming in it. Like diving down after the fish. Maybe it was because there were larger fish in there and they knew they could get them? Maybe it was because it was a clear aquarium and they could see them? Maybe it was because there were crayfishes in there and raccoons eat them in the wild? I don't know.

Also, I just don't want to encourage them to be in the yard with the dogs around. They are very active in our area. We live about 5 blocks from a stream, but I constantly see freshwater clams and snail shells everywhere in our yard. When we first moved into our house I had to literally shovel out piles of shells and poop from our shed. But they can't get in there anymore.
Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishumms View Post
Wow really? I'm surprised. When I lived in Santa Monica I had a 150 gallon outdoor tank. It had two rubbermaid cans for the filter. I would catch raccoons swimming in it. Like diving down after the fish. Maybe it was because there were larger fish in there and they knew they could get them? Maybe it was because it was a clear aquarium and they could see them? Maybe it was because there were crayfishes in there and raccoons eat them in the wild? I don't know.

Also, I just don't want to encourage them to be in the yard with the dogs around. They are very active in our area. We live about 5 blocks from a stream, but I constantly see freshwater clams and snail shells everywhere in our yard. When we first moved into our house I had to literally shovel out piles of shells and poop from our shed. But they can't get in there anymore.

"I would catch raccoons swimming in it. Like diving down after the fish. "

Oh wow , that must have been some sight.

It could be as you said that my fish are small in the shallower stocktanks and they cant get them.

I do have a large breeding pair of Demspeys in a 100 gallon stock tank but never had any problems. I have PVC in there for them to hide, don't know if that made a difference.

The only problem I have had has been from garter and water snakes getting my platies but in truth I have so many that it doesn't matter.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Fishumms
Planted Member

Well I guess diving in is a little of an embellishment. There was lots of driftwood in it and they would do that kind of pawing thing that they do. I'm pretty sure they were after the crayfish. I see them eat crays around here all the time.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
Fishumms
Planted Member

A few pics of the little progress I've made. I painted the bottom of the tub, and I have begun removing a tree stump that is in the way. I am thinking of using the little cinderblocks under the feet of the tub to keep it from sinking into the ground. I am going to put them into the ground so that just the tops are showing.

Last edited by Fishumms; 05-12-2014 at 04:04 AM..
Old 10-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am using that size block (8-8-8) under the legs of some tank stands. They can hold the weight, but I am not sure if they might not still sink through the soil the way you want to use them. I use them in their proper orientation (hole is vertical) and put a piece of concrete on top. I use the pieces that are in the same concept as the concrete blocks, made to cap a wall. They are called 8-2-16 if they are not called caps.

I would dig a larger diameter hole and partially fill it with bagged concrete, about like digging a fence post hole. But wider, and shallower. If you went a foot deep and 18" diameter then poured 4" deep concrete you could then put the 8" block on that and bury it, and know there was that much better support under the tub. The cap piece would be above grade, and easily hidden with planting, but there whenever you wanted to confirm that everything is still plumb, level and square.

Sure hate to move it to fix a problem that is easily prevented!
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
Fishumms
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I am using that size block (8-8-8) under the legs of some tank stands. They can hold the weight, but I am not sure if they might not still sink through the soil the way you want to use them. I use them in their proper orientation (hole is vertical) and put a piece of concrete on top. I use the pieces that are in the same concept as the concrete blocks, made to cap a wall. They are called 8-2-16 if they are not called caps.

I would dig a larger diameter hole and partially fill it with bagged concrete, about like digging a fence post hole. But wider, and shallower. If you went a foot deep and 18" diameter then poured 4" deep concrete you could then put the 8" block on that and bury it, and know there was that much better support under the tub. The cap piece would be above grade, and easily hidden with planting, but there whenever you wanted to confirm that everything is still plumb, level and square.

Sure hate to move it to fix a problem that is easily prevented!

Yes, it is easier to plan than to fix. I was thinking they might sink as well. I bought some of those cap blocks too. I was thinking of burying the cinders completely and putting the caps on top so they were just level with the ground. I think your idea might be better though because when it rains our whole backyard floods and gets muddy. I don't want one leg to sink and make it off level, or all of them to sink even.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #22
Fishumms
Planted Member

Finally a chance to update this thread. It has been cold here, as it has been everywhere so I didn't get much time to work on this project. Also, I've been busy with other things. Anyway, back to the bathtub.

The tub as you can see is a little off kilter, but it seems to be fine. I placed concrete blocks under each foot of the tub, and buried under them are cinder blocks to create a kind of foot print. This hopefully will keep the tub from sinking into the ground over time, and keep the feet off the ground so they don't rust.

I could not find a suitable old faucet for this tub so I just reattached the old one. It is completely clogged with rust and useless, which stinks, but it is what it is. I flipped the faucet upside down because the cap for the hole below it wouldn't fit otherwise. To plug the large hole under the faucet I was able to use a 2" PVC pipe and cap. It's not pretty, but I couldn't find the metal plate thing that goes there in real tubs. Apparently, the hole in this tub is just a little larger than normal ones.

The bottom drain was a bit of a pain. I intended to attach a spigot that I could turn on and off to let the water out and use the drain as an actual drain. Unfortunately I just couldn't get that to work. Basically, at a certain point the water weight was too much and leaks would start at the joints. Finally, with the tub full I simply took a PVC pipe cap, put some silicon caulk on it and just stuck it to the drain. I worked. It's not exactly what I wanted, but if it works it works. I will probably drain the tub again and see if I can't somehow get the spigot to work, but if I can't, the PVC cap will be the solution.

The filter is simply a pump sunk inside of a cinder block and it's output is attached to a small canister filter. I will probably figure out some media sandwich to put inside the cinder block as a permanent media, but for now I am just using some filter floss as a pre-filter for the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	276074  

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	276082  

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	276090  

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	276098  

Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 AM   #23
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I think it's kinda cool what you're using as a pond, subscribed!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #24
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

This looks so cool. Keeping an eye on updates.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #25
jrh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I think the buried tub sounds beautiful
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 AM   #26
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh View Post
I think the buried tub sounds beautiful
I want to see this thing buried. Maybe paint the inside walls with black acrylic latex or Krylon fusion paint
AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #27
Fishumms
Planted Member

I will not be burying the tub. Sorry guys. Too much work and too many creatures will be getting into it that way.

I have added some plants I was able to scrounge basically. Also added, 8 Platy fish, and a few apple snails. Currently I am soaking some driftwood in the tub, although a lot of it will be going into aquariums and not staying in the tub. Some of it will. I arranged a few cinder blocks to that the platy fish would have some places to hide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	280250  

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	280258  

Old 03-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #28
TyrannosaurusSex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
[description of elaborate bathtub pond]
Sounds neat! Got any pictures?
TyrannosaurusSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #29
Fishumms
Planted Member

Some update pics.

The 8 Platys died but it seems they must have bred because there are little tiny fish all over. The temp seems to fluctuate a bit, but it stays between 68 and 75 or these are the extremes I've seen so far. It got down to 62 when we had a hail-storm and I think that might have killed the fish. It almost killed all my plants but they seem to be bouncing back. I added some plants from my indoor tanks that were growing emersed and they seem to be adapting well. Since the Platys died I have added 8 guppies. Hopefully they will breed but not die. I am curious to see if the little fish survive. Oddly the snails have all survived
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	290881  

Name:	IMG_2188.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	290897  

Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #30
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Looking good. I like that you left some of the driftwood in place. Aside from the terracotta pots, it looks really natural. Love the duckweed.
AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote