Cerges' Reactor - DIY Inline CO2 Reactor - Page 42
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #616
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

For what you want, place a gate valve on the bypass line. If you want to be sure, but a gate valve on both sides. The idea of having a BV before and after the cerges is nice for cleaning but not needed. That said, I highly doubt you need to restrict the system with a simple cannister. What are you running? Back in the day I had one on a 2028 and it was not enough flow.
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #617
geesantoz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy View Post
For what you want, place a gate valve on the bypass line. If you want to be sure, but a gate valve on both sides. The idea of having a BV before and after the cerges is nice for cleaning but not needed. That said, I highly doubt you need to restrict the system with a simple cannister. What are you running? Back in the day I had one on a 2028 and it was not enough flow.
I have a 75G with 2217 and ISTA MAX MIX (LARGE) at the moment and i see the micro bubble all over the place. I don't like the performance of ISTA as well as i need to crank up the CO2 BPS higher (uncountable from BC). So looking for more efficient way to dissolve co2 into the water.

At the moment, the flow for 2217 seems not enough to give proper circulation that i need ( I use a koralia to help this out ). But this does not mean that cerges will not produce micro bubble. Reducing the 2217 output flow is not an option in my case.
To add another stronger canister filter or a second canister filter as suggested by m00se may be an option, but i try to defer it as a last option (still need to channel the money to other tanks).

I really hope that i can use this bypass method for now. I am planning to use a 10" canister due to tight space i have.
geesantoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #618
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

You could always grab one of these bad boys for $55 shipped:

http://goo.gl/M0pR4a

They move a lot of water and you can modify the sponges in them to your heart's content. There are threads here and elsewhere to do it and since it's not your primary filter you could even get creative with the canister contents. Just a thought.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #619
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I really doubt you'll need a bypass line with only a 2217.
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #620
geesantoz
Algae Grower

I just receive my canister for 10" ... unfortunately it come with 1/2" port ... will this work ?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #621
geesantoz
Algae Grower

Thumbs up Cerges 20" with 2217

JUST TO UPDATE:
I receive the 20" canister last weekend and has been using it for couple of days. The added air release button is a requirement for 20" as i will not be able to turn it upside down inside the stand.

I add the bypass line with valve, and leave the one to the cerges line without valve as limited on space to manouver the tubing.

with 2217, I don't seem a need to open the valve on bypass line (or use the bypass line at all) as i really see less/unnoticeable micro bubble return into the tank. Perhaps later if i use bigger filter flow (or if the bubble noticeable after filter maintenance), i might use the bypass line valve. So i decide to leave the valve as it is.

Name:  Cerges-with-bypass.JPG
Views: 597
Size:  27.4 KB

Performance wise compared to ISTA max mix large, is much better.
I can push more CO2 faster (my fish showed a little stress with the cerges in place, so i backed out on BPS) and giving a rest to the solenoid to operate less time (monitored through PH controller).
The DC (4dKH+Bromo) showing YELLOW at 6.1/6.2 mark on PH controller within an hour or less (using ISTA, i have to turned on 2 hour prior light on -- and not even got the YELLOW).

I will monitor for a while using the cerges setup to see if i need further improvement to dissolve CO2.

Thanks Guys for the advice ... !!!
This thread is really helpful ...

Last edited by geesantoz; 11-08-2013 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: add picture
Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #622
meisterluv
Algae Grower

so um I'm a visual learner and want to make this reactor. is there a place where the original pictures have been stashed?
meisterluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #623
mwuf15
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

if anyone is interested, I have three 90 deg nylon elbows (3/4" x 5/8" barb) left from a cerges build.

meisterluv: if you google images for cerges reactor you can get an idea of how it is put together.
mwuf15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #624
meisterluv
Algae Grower

What is the needle piece called?

meisterluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #625
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

A hose barb
Old 12-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #626
Highlander
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I am getting ready to set up my first high tech tank and bought a 20" filter as recommended here on the thread:
http://www.discountfilterstore.com/w...lear-pr20.html
It will be powered by a fluval 406 on a 40B. My question is, what is the consensus on how to deliver the co2? Should I drill the top or use a tee? If a tee then barb up or down? I guess I am planning on putting a ball valve before and after the reactor as well. Thanks
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #627
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
I am getting ready to set up my first high tech tank and bought a 20" filter as recommended here on the thread:
http://www.discountfilterstore.com/w...lear-pr20.html
It will be powered by a fluval 406 on a 40B. My question is, what is the consensus on how to deliver the co2? Should I drill the top or use a tee? If a tee then barb up or down? I guess I am planning on putting a ball valve before and after the reactor as well. Thanks
I just got 2 of these WHFs 1 big an 1 small an both are drilled at the top where I guess either a relief valve of some sort was, an CO2 hose was inserted so the CO2 is delivered into the chamber an mixes with the water an as the water exits goes to the tank already mixed with CO2. I haven't put the system together yet but this is what I get from the info I read on this build.
newbieplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #628
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

That's where the bleed off valve used to be and I don't recommend you remove it on a new one. Yes you can interference fit vinyl hose through the hole and yes it will work that way without trouble. You *really* want that valve to be able to purge air out of the unit though. My setup has a separate pump/spray bar and I put the CO2 on the output of the pump with a T to a nipple to CO2 then to the WHF. You could do that too with the output of the canister. That's what I recommend.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #629
Highlander
Planted Member

Thanks, I was hoping you would reply Moose. I intend to keep the relief valve because I want the the ability to purge the air without having to turn the whole thing upside down. Honestly I would like to try and avoid using a separate pump and spray bar. I would like as little as possible in the tank. I will try and just use the Fluval 406 to see if that works, if not then I would probably get a separate pump. So in me leaving the relief valve, could I drill a hole into the head unit and the co2 line in there or is using a tee better?
Old 12-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #630
Highlander
Planted Member

Also, if I were to run a separate pump for the reactor, what would you recommend for a 40B? I was looking at a mag 2. I would also like the option to put a uv sterilizer inline with the mag pump if needed in the future along with the reactor. The fluval 406 already has a high turnover rate for a 40 gallon. Do you mind posting or sending me a pic of the set up (inside the tank, not the stand). I just want to see if I think it is too cluttered for my preferences. Lol. Now that I start thinking about it, I think a separate pump is the way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.