Considering moving. Questions for people in/around Houston
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Texas

Old 09-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Considering moving. Questions for people in/around Houston

Hey everyone

So my husband and I are looking to move to the Houston/Katy area in the next year. There will no longer be much left for us in Oregon, and there seems to be a lot of job openings for my husbands career field there. So with that being said, I have some questions:

Weather: How often does it rain, Do you ever get snow, and whats the humidity like? Aka is 100 degrees bearable, or super humid? I have heard Texas is tornado country. Is that true? I have dealt with earth quakes, but never tornadoes.

There are very few activities where we live. We are a younger couple (24) and would basically be moving to Texas knowing no one. We have been anti-social where we live for the most part, but that is due to living way out in the woods, and when we move we would like to start fresh.

Probably the most important question of all: Do you have good stores for plants and fish?

Also, if we were to live within Houston, what areas do you recommend?

Thank you!
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Howdy,

Weather is gonna be night and day to what you are used to. Humidity is the worst around here, makes everything 10 degrees hotter sometime. It is rough getting used to, but once acclimated its not too bad. Hardly ever get snow around the Houston area, and when it does its best to stay inside due to no one knowing how to drive or handle it. Rain fluctuates, I think the biggest thing is being in an area where the chances of a hurricane hitting are increased. Yes we do get tornadoes in this area sometimes. Dont think Houston has gotten hit by one though in a really really long time.
The weather though is really not that scarey all the time. It hardly ever gets really cold in the winter, but the summers are usually scorchers.

The Houston area has tons of things to do or within driving range at least. Not sure what activites y'all are into, but I'm sure there is something to fit the bill in the area haha.

There are plenty of decent fish stores in the area, just check out this list that a fellow member has put together of fish stores in Texas.

Now really cant tell you what areas are the best around Houston, since I grew up south of that area and now live over an hour away from Houston. Heard Katy area is nice and have family that lives in the Richmond area and they really enjoy those. More or less depends on you and hope someone else can give you a better answer.

Hope I haven't scared you about Texas any. Its really a great place if you like nature cuz you can pretty much see everything from dessert to swamps and everything in between in one state.

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
astex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ditto to most everything said above.

The worst thing not mentioned is probably the traffic. It's a bear, it's miserable, and picking where you live based on how bad the drive to where you might work is a reasonable consideration here. I'm lucky, I work in Galveston, so my drive is bearable, but DH has to cross Houston for his job (he works 3rd shift) and gets caught in the am traffic. Usually takes forever for him to get home.

Downtown and the medical center have decent bus service from the most common suburbs, and if I had to go downtown that would be my preference. Otherwise, you drive. Make friends with a gas friendly car (although our gas prices are usually some of the lowest in the nation).

There are lots of suburbs/small towns and where you want to live can also be based on your sports/hobbies. Sailing/boating is great down here, as is fishing. You have all the nightlife you could want if you're into that, dance clubs, culture (Opera/symphony/Broadway), museums, etc..... It is also possible to live in the middle of nowhere and be within a reasonable drive of work. Huge hint, check out flood maps for housing. Unless you live on the the coast, most chance of damage is from flooding from rain with poor street drainage. Get flood insurance, even if you buy in the 500 year flood plain, it's worth the cost.

Check out the houstonfishbox for a local community of fish people. Most will tell you the south/ SW side of Houston has the best fish shops. I can make an afternoon fish shop tour and hit at least 5 good ones easy.

North Texas/Dallas gets most of the tornadoes, although we get a few every now and then, they're not the big ones. Biggest risk of tornadoes is usually those associated with the stray hurricane.

I've lived in either College Station or Houston since the 4th grade and still am not used to the humidity. You either love it, or learn to run between air conditioned spaces for 8 months out of the year. Most of summer is like stepping into a sauna when you go outside, sweat doesn't evaporate (air is too moist), and breathing some mornings feels like drowning. Coastal areas have nice breezes that make it marginally better, but hot is hot. I live for the 3 months of fall/winter/spring where outside is gorgeous weather.

HTH...
astex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
HSA1255
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

The humidity is crazy as mentioned above, and people here are not use to severe cold it is worth repeating that the majority do not know how to drive in icy conditions. The weather that we will cancel school for would make you laugh, but it seldom happens here so it's understandable. If your husband gets a job in the Houston area I would look close by so that his commute will not be too bad. My husband and I use to live in a town home over by the Houston zoo, and we loved biking along the bayou and there are plenty of parks, etc to find throughout the Houston area. I grew up North of Houston, Spring area... have lots of info on The Woodlands and surrounding areas if you want more details on the North side. Still, you should consider your options within a range of your husbands employment, because spending up to two hours on the drive home is non-sense. Perhaps rent first, then determine where to settle down. Right now we live in the conroe/magnolia area in a new neighborhood that we really enjoy. We have a huge yard and there are several young families like ours, which is what was important for us. We have young kids and wanted the space that our city location did not offer. We go out on bike rides, fishing, boating, nature trails, dirt bike tracks, to pumpkin farms and xmas tree farms, and several local farms that let you pick the type of berries they grow, then you go home and make blackberry muffins, cobbler, smoothies... and still you have tons to freeze. My husband is an avid fly fisherman and I have a jeep and love to find places to play in the the dirt... so there is a lot to do. Now I will admit I am envious of places that have lower humidity and mountains... but we take vacations and head to the mountains for cooler weather and different activities, so it balances out. I don't mind answering specific questions if you would like to message me. The right location for you really depends on your priorities, and interests. In general if you go outside the city you can get a better deal on a house, larger yard, more square footage at a better price. The cost of living here is nice compared to many other large cities and as mentioned above our gas prices are not too bad, b/c many of the processing plants are nearby. I know some people in the Katy area, it is nice as well and is close to the city too. You will have plenty of aquarium stores to visit where ever you go so I'd narrow down which area around/in Houston you are looking at and then go from there.
HSA1255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
fishyjoe24
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

it will be death in the summer if you have leather, a black car, or a car with no ac. Texas snow is a wish come true if we get any been a few years since I've seen snow. rain we get rain not really that bad, but then again I have all wheel drive. Dallas has a good area, austin keep austin weird. houston is okay south side is the bad area. if you are more in to country woods, and area for the kids/dogs to run around then katy in my opinion is the better bet.

fishyjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
tandaina
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Houston is hot and humid. Miserable. Even those of us who live more central Texas find Houston oppressive. Traffic is horrific, hurricanes more of an issue there than tornadoes.

I have lived in Austin and loved it, though heat was killer, now in Waco, still hot as blazes. I have been in Texas 6 years and am jut done. If I need see another Texas summer it'll be too soon. State politics are horrible, educational system is... Well the folks who care pay for private school. I'm ready to move on. Texas has been good to husband and I but we've sorta reached the limit with te good ole boy culture and the heat, te blessed HEAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
tandaina is offline   Reply With Quote