Prego Cory Cat?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Prego Cory Cat?

Over the course of the last week I've noticed my larger of my two Julii corys get quite plump.
Like really plump. Im pretty sure I got super lucky and have a pair (lucky considering I only have 2) and she is laiden with eggs.

My questions for you guys are.... am I right? Is she prego?

My other fish will eat the eggs, correct? In that tank I have a Betta, and several Endlers/Guppies & one Mystery snail.

If they will eat the eggs, which Im thinking yes, how do I go about harvesting them if Im lucky enough to find them 1st?

Are there certain areas Corys favor when egg laying? The glass, diriftwood, underside of leafs?

I was thinking about putting them in my cherry shrimp setup, as Ive read theyre great egg tenders. You guys agree? If not what would you do?
I have a Finnex breeder box as well, just worried in there they wouldn't get the current/airation/stimulation they needed.

Thanks for any help... I know I asked a lot of question.

She IS much bigger than him, its very obvious when they play swimming up along the glass and such, just doesn't seem to show it at well in the pic. But hey.. they're clear! For just having my cell phone camera I think that's saying a LOT with how hyper these guys are, lol.

Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

First she would be gravid, not pregnant, Pregnant refers to live birth.

Yes, your other fish would eat the eggs up the moment they are discovered, I've found that they tend to lay on smooth flat surfaces, scrapping them off and moving them to a cycled empty tank would be your best bet to save them.

Granted that is if shes gravid. The best bet is to get a downwards shot of the cory. A shot from the top down.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (40/100%)

Break a clay pot in half or get a piece of slate so they can lay the eggs and all you have to do is remove them and put them in another tank and keep water movement on them, or put your other fish in a breeder box or several. I would do the latter breeder box are cheap and useful for all sorts of things.

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very pretty Cory's.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

My cories always tend to lay the eggs on the glass, all over the tank. We saved and successfully hatched on batch but the ones after we have just let the eggs be snacks since we have plenty of albino cories now. I would love to save some peppered, bronze or pygmy eggs though. Yours hands down I would save if you see them.

Changing the water with slightly (just a little) lower temps sometimes brings on breeding or when it is raining/storming outside. We had rain the other day, temps dropped and the cories spawned like crazy all day.

When you save the eggs keep them in water, don't let them hit air. So a cup or something you can put into the tank and lightly roll the eggs off the glass and into the bowl or cup. The eggs are sticky so they will stick the side of the bowl and then move them to the tank you want them to go into and put the bowl under water and lightly roll them onto the tank wall. Shrimp will keep the fungus off the eggs, might look like they are eating them but they are just tending the eggs. If you put them on the wall right near or above the sponge filter, it will give them plenty of flow until they hatch.

Good luck!
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info everyone

Ok so before I can properly try my hand at rearing any eggs I need to go pickup an airstone. I have a spare air pump, but alas no airstones.I might even just go ahead and buy another cheap tank to cycle to put em in, the eggs that is. Bare bottom and all that good stuff.

Then Ill try to induce them spawning and keep an eye for the eggs! Now I know to look on the glass and such. Thanks as well Peachii for letting me know they can't touch air. I had no idea!

Also grats on your cory babies! Ill def let you guys know if I end up hatching some!
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

my cory cats have laid eggs twice now, the first time I wasn't sure if they were cory eggs and what to do, by the time I figured it out the eggs had been eaten (all but one anyways, I didn't know at the time, but it somehow managed to hatch and I got one fry out of that first batch). The first batch was on the glass, the second batch was on the glass in a couple different places and on the under side of my java ferns...

I took all of the eggs I could out of the tank and put them in a plastic container with an airstone in it until they hatched, then I moved them from there to a small betta bowl, finally decided I didn't want to keep up water changes in the bowl so now they are living inside a large fish net that is partially in my main tank that way they are in the same tank water, just in the net protected from the other fish because they are still TINY even though they are a couple weeks old now... they are still smaller than my guppy fry are when first born! I've got probably about 20 cory cat fry that hatched doing it this way! Just waiting for them to get bigger to be able to turn them loose and not have to worry about them being eaten by my guppies or mollies...
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hah, I soooo would have had to name the single eggie that hatched Nemo. Wouldnt have been able to help myself.

What kind of cory babies do you have right now?
Grats btw!
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
rininger85
Planted Member

I'm not sure what kind of corys they are... I bought the original 3 at Petsmart, and I'm not sure if they had the specific name on them... if they did its just been too long ago that I don't remember... they are mostly just a grayish brown, no fancy markings or anything... although the first fry is kind of orangish with some different stripes on him, so not sure how that happened unless maybe he'll change as he matures... I'll try to get some pics tonight.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
rininger85
Planted Member

looking at petsmarts website they only list 2 different kind of corys, peppered corys and green corys so going to guess they are probably peppered corys
Old 10-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rininger85 View Post
looking at petsmarts website they only list 2 different kind of corys, peppered corys and green corys so going to guess they are probably peppered corys

These are not peppers. Petsmart carries a lot more then what their website says they do.

These are sold as Jullis but they are false julii cory cats.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
These are not peppers. Petsmart carries a lot more then what their website says they do.

These are sold as Jullis but they are false julii cory cats.
Do you think mine are False Juliis? I've been wondering about this for quiet a while now.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #13
rininger85
Planted Member

my corys don't look anything like what was on their website or the above pics... mine are pretty plain... google pics mine look like whats being called bronze corys... not real descriptive markings, kind of plain, but they are really active so fun to watch in the tank =)
Old 10-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

My cories usually lay their eggs on the leaves of my amazon plant and then I am able to just pull off a leaf or two and transfer to a critter keeper to hatch them.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3<*))))>< View Post
Do you think mine are False Juliis? I've been wondering about this for quiet a while now.
They are False Juliis