Dwarf chain loach
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
Vin
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dwarf chain loach

Hi everyone,

So I saw some dwarf chain loaches at my LFS and brought home 5 for my asian themed 33 g tank.

Now I understand they need time to settle but I'm worried about them a bit. They are really shy and hide a lot. I am also not 100% sure they are eating the flake food. I see them rummaging in the bottom sometimes. I have been putting some sinking pellets close to night time thinking they might be less shy.
I alternate between flakes, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp and veggie pellets.

Anyone ever had trouble feeding these guys? And will they ever overcome their shyness? Right now I have to be still in front of the tank for a long time before I can count all five and sometimes I just cant.

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Loachutus
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Anyone ever had trouble feeding these guys? And will they ever overcome their shyness? Right now I have to be still in front of the tank for a long time before I can count all five and sometimes I just cant.
No, but I've always had botias and/or dithers in the tank already. They should overcome their shyness. Mine swim out in the evening (feeding time), whenever I approach their tank. Do you have any other fish in the tank? Lots of cover like plants, driftwood, etc.?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Vin
Planted Member

15 harlequin rasboras and a pair of pearl gouramis. There is enough hiding space that if they all want to hide I can probly not find them (the loaches). You can see pictures of the tank in the journal in my signature to give you an idea.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I had a very similar set up- Pearl Gourami, Harleys, Sids...
And the sids do get better at coming out, but I also had to spend time looking to count them all. Lots of hiding places!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Vin
Planted Member

Thank you for your answer.

So what I understand is that nothing abnormal is going on. Guess I needed a bit of reassuring since its my first time with loaches. And the sids are relatively rare and pricey compared to anything I have had before
Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Sids have always been one of the most active and inquisitive fish I've owned as soon as they settle in...the bigger the group, the better I have noticed. I have also never had problems with them eating just about any type of food I've tried...flake, pellets, algae wafers, frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp, etc. They move all over searching for food, unlike the prototypical bottom dweller. I've certainly seen them nudge their way to the top of the tank during feeding time.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I'm very much considering getting a group for my 20 long if I can get over the price...I miss the group I used to have before I took a leave of absence from the hobby.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Vin
Planted Member

I wish I could have made the group bigger but I feel my tank is pretty crowded right as it is with 2 pearls 15 harlequins and 5 sids in a 33g. Or else I would have gone for 9 or more easily. But yeah the price.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Vin
Planted Member

So I saw 1 or 2 eat some flakes. I saw 2 or 3 eat some of the sinking pellets and they seem less shy day by day. I ' m happy !
Old 10-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
mark546
Algae Grower

If you toss a hand full of pond, bladder, mts, or ramshorn snails in there they will love you. Just look for empty shells.

First time I had loaches I wanted MTS to stir the gravel. I would toss 20-100 of them in at a time. After the second day I would be unable to find a single snail.
mark546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Vin
Planted Member

Hi everyone !

I'm actually looking for some pond snails right now. Can't seem to find any surprisingly.

Anyways, I have another question about these loaches. Is it possible that they will spar in between (I'm guessing males) themselves? Like I saw two individuals go at it for like 15 minutes theirs colours change while they do this and it looks pretty violent. I imagine its two individuals sparring ? Might actually not be males I guess since I read somewhere that the alpha loach is usually a female.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Roth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Hi everyone !

I'm actually looking for some pond snails right now. Can't seem to find any surprisingly.

Anyways, I have another question about these loaches. Is it possible that they will spar in between (I'm guessing males) themselves? Like I saw two individuals go at it for like 15 minutes theirs colours change while they do this and it looks pretty violent. I imagine its two individuals sparring ? Might actually not be males I guess since I read somewhere that the alpha loach is usually a female.
Yes, that behavior is normal. A couple of my larger dwarf chain loaches will sometimes "spar" like this too. They usually "grey out" while doing this, that is losing the color and definition between the their black and white coloration. As far as I can tell, it's strictly a show of dominance to establish their pecking order.

I've never seen it become so violent that I've been worried. It's really just some pushing and posturing, never seen them take nips at each other. My panda garra's do a similar thing as well.

Edit:

Forgot to add, my dwarf chain loaches are extremely active during the day time, they are not nocturnal like many loaches. They are actually quite an enjoyable fish for this reason. A very beautiful, active, schooling loach with a small size so many aquariums can accommodate them. My group of 13 of them are always out and about my aquarium. The biggest draw back is their price. If you can find them for $10 or less each, consider it a bargain.
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Vin
Planted Member

Got mine for 9,99 each, yay bargain !
Old 10-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #13
rininger85
Planted Member

I'm not sure how much difference there is between the chain loach and clown loaches, but I added a clown loach to my tank and it hangs out with my cory cats, so its usually pretty active =) also loves sucking the goo out of snails... I have empty shells all over now (but that was why I bought it was to take care of all the snails that have been reproducing in my tank)
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote