Fish list for a 75g - feed-back please - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
cowfish007
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you, everyone, for the feedback.

Fish list round 3

20 cardinal tetras
7 Glass catfish
1 bristlenose plecos
2 German Blue Ram (M/F pair)
1 Pearl Gouramis
1 Apistogramma cacatuoides (Double red)?
3-5 male guppies
6 or 7 Albino Corys
A bunch of amano shrimp and nerite snails.

What do you think about adding some pencilfish or gudgeons to the mix?
cowfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Here's something a little off the wall for you - albeit a significant departure from what you've been planning, but a 75 gal would make a perfect set-up for discus: ( those are Royal Ruby Reds with the Cardinal Tetras btw)

This is a 75 gallon tank:
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...ubyreds010.jpg

As well as Cardinals, you could also keep Glass Catfish, Cories, BNP's, GBR's and Amano shrimp with them - all good tank-mates for discus.
And you can't get a better centerpiece fish than discus, imho.

Last edited by discuspaul; 10-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Addition
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
cowfish007
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Here's something a little off the wall for you - albeit a significant departure from what you've been planning, but a 75 gal would make a perfect set-up for discus: ( those are Royal Ruby Reds with the Cardinal Tetras btw)
Thought about Discus, but was concerned that the higher water temp would be too much for some of the other fish and the plants.

Last edited by cowfish007; 10-09-2013 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Discus are without equal, but I think Rainbows are getting seriously overlooked. They are stunning and easier to car for than Discus. They also develop the brilliant Neon orange stripe on their head and along the dorsal fun when they are displaying

Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfish007 View Post
Thought about discuss, but was concerned that the higher water temp would be too much for some of the other fish and the plants.
I've kept discus for many years - almost always in planted tanks @ 83-84 F and never had any trouble growing plants at that temp - all one needs to do is select those plants that do well in the higher temps - and there's quite a long list of them. Did you have a look at my pic above ? That'll give you some idea of how plants can fare. That tank had been set up for months when I took the pic.
As for other species of fish that are compatible discus tank-mates, many do well at discus temps including all of those I've listed above, as I've kept all of those with discus.
I believe I read mention of your planning to maintain, or were maintaining, temp @ 78-80 - so 83 is not a great deal higher, & perfect for discus.
And for those of you who may think otherwise, discus are hardy fish and not at all difficult to keep. You just need to make sure you're getting quality, healthy stock from a recognized reliable supplier source, and give them a little extra care & attention. What good aquarist doesn't want to do that, to keep their fish healthy & thriving ?

Should you decide to consider giving it a try, cowfish, I for one would be glad to help you out every step of the way.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #21
cowfish007
Algae Grower

Rainbows were initially part of my list, but I REALLY want a school of cardinal tetras and, based on what others stated and what I've read, the rainbows would be too much competition during feedings.

I love Discus, but they do limit the types of plants due to the needed temps and I have a certain look I want for the display which includes DHG and cambos.... but the discus are tempting

aaaaghhh!!! Decisions decisions.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #22
Dr Fishbait
Algae Grower

Sorry for starting all this trouble about rainbows being so aggressive at feeding. With as many small fish you wanted in addition to rainbows I was concerned that you would end up in the same delima I found myself in. I ended up grossly over feeding my tank to make sure all we're fed. And we all know where the leads.
Dr Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
cowfish007
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Fishbait View Post
Sorry for starting all this trouble about rainbows being so aggressive at feeding. With as many small fish you wanted in addition to rainbows I was concerned that you would end up in the same delima I found myself in. I ended up grossly over feeding my tank to make sure all we're fed. And we all know where the leads.
No trouble and I appreciate the info. I'd rather find out now than have to chase them around with a net because all the other fish are starving.

Since the main focus of this tank is going to be plants/aquascape I've decided not worry about the fish as much.

LL
20 Cardinal Tetras
7 Glass catfish
m/f pair of Blue German rams (if I can find a female anywhere)
5 male guppies
1 Pearl Gouramis
7 Cordys
1 Bristlenose pleco

I may add others later on such as a pair of apistos or Baddis baddis.