40 Gallon long - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #31
Tvadna
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Pre-trim

September 4

Post-Trim

Left

Right

Tvadna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #32
Tvadna
Planted Member

September 5

Staurogyne Repens - Have only had to trim one long one and replant. Impressed with the horizontal spreading/growth

Persicaria Kawagoeanum - Trimmed and replanted
Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #33
Tvadna
Planted Member

Been a while since I've posted. The water sprite had grown gigantic stretching from nearly end to end of the tank and was growing out of the tank as well. It was shading everything else and the tank suffered.
The good news was that I sold it locally with a few other stems for $25. It was pulled out about a week ago and the recovery has begun.

October 8
Full tank

Right

Middle

Left
Old 10-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #34
Tvadna
Planted Member

The plastic grid that I attempted to secure the Taiwan moss too just hasn't panned out as expected. A few jostles and it separated from the grid. After seeing a bit of the moss attach itself to the DIY spray bar. I may just go that route. Has anyone tried this before? I'm guessing it won't attach very well but would look pretty good if I was able to wrap it in black thread.

The hair algae is back and this time I'm trying a slightly different technique then the peroxide nuke. Small dosages of H2O2 with only 4 hours of light/day. If it doesn't work, I may just go black out for a few days...
Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #35
Tvadna
Planted Member

Staurogyne Repens

October 13

Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #36
Tvadna
Planted Member

Default Tank battle

Tank Battle

I figured I would put my 30g long up against my 40g long and see which one people like more.

Here is how it works... Post on this thread and choose only one. Feel free to say why you like it better but you don't have to. The tank with the least votes in 1 week losses the tank battle and is destroyed.

At 4 years of age the 30g has been converted into a German ramming tank. It has been used for this purpose for the last 6 months and is equipped with an arsenal of 30 medium sized rams and is appropriately colored red with some black. It is trimmed with wood on the interior.

VOTE until the 27th!

Last edited by Tvadna; 11-19-2013 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: no reason....
Old 11-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #37
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

the 40g is my pick. It looks like my kind of wonderful madness.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #38
Tvadna
Planted Member

I forgot to post an updated picture of the 40 tank. Most of the moss was removed because it just didn't want to attach to the plastic grid.

Nov 20

Old 11-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #39
zetvi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

The 40 looks great filling in. Do you intend to keep those green algae spots? because it seems to be everywhere since the first few pics and you don't really bother. What dry fert did you buy? i'm new to dry ferts too, only started for 2 months. I experience that dosing it in a low light without co2 will cause brown algae, so co2 definately plays a role in the dry fert. I'm trying to dose more phosphate which is listed as "Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) bought from nilocg, a TPT member" in order to soften those green algae spots for otto to eat it easier. Check out mine 55 journal, i used to run a few thing like yours :P
zetvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #40
Tvadna
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetvi View Post
The 40 looks great filling in. Do you intend to keep those green algae spots? because it seems to be everywhere since the first few pics and you don't really bother. What dry fert did you buy? i'm new to dry ferts too, only started for 2 months. I experience that dosing it in a low light without co2 will cause brown algae, so co2 definately plays a role in the dry fert. I'm trying to dose more phosphate which is listed as "Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) bought from nilocg, a TPT member" in order to soften those green algae spots for otto to eat it easier. Check out mine 55 journal, i used to run a few thing like yours :P
I also bought my dry ferts from Nilocg. He is a great seller and also answered my questions about which ferts to get. I got his EI based NPK + CSM+B with GH booster package.

I'm not really concerned with the green spot algae. it comes and goes, I only scrape it from the glass with a razor attached to a handle (selling them also). I recently got striped nerite snails and they are keeping the algae at bay. My ottos don't touch it.
The one algae I rally have problems with on that tank is hair algae. The long, stringy green stuff that feels slippery when removed. I've successfully rid it from a few other tanks but can't get it out of this one.

I agree, your 55 does look similar to mine. I've never had the luck you do with the glosso. Did you DSM the glosso in your 55?
I'm seriously considering a finnex led fixture for my 30 long... I take it you've had good luck and would recommend them?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #41
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

^ I used h2o2 in the tank in my sig. It was the best treatment ever, however that was when my tank was in its early stages.

now that the treatment is done, you should lower your photoperiod, and do daily WC! I literally did 3 50% WC RIGHT after my treatment in a row. I was too anal abut the h2o2 staying in my water column.

shoot me a PM if you want more stargrass about 10-15+ cuttings , I will give you a bunch if you can cover the shipping cost of $7.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:54 AM   #42
Tvadna
Planted Member

It has been a while since I've updated. I also put the tanks on the back burner the last few months and they have suffered. My staurogyne repens died off quite a bit so I salvaged what I could and planted it in a smaller tank. The easier plants like anubias and myrio mattogrossense still flourished and to my surprise, the pogostemon erectus has done well also.
I tried the ignore approach to the blyxa japonica and that did't work either. So i've officially tried everything I can think of think of to get it going. High/low light/co2 combos, water column fertz, dirted tanks and what seemed to be the most successful was root tabs. I never got a straight answer from this forum when asking if they're a water column or root feeder. I start with baseball sized plants and they just shrink and shrink until they're the size of a quarter and then they get uprooted, float to the surface and die. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.
Until then, here are a few pics.

May 20

Pogostemon erectus

Last edited by Tvadna; 05-21-2014 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: url doesn't spell img
Old 07-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #43
Tvadna
Planted Member

It has been a while since updating so I think i'm due. I have added a few cardinals for a total of 9. I also have 4 or 5 SAE now to keep any hair algae under control. They seem to do a fairly good job as long as I skip a few flake feedings per week. The nerite snails and farlowella cat keep the glass clean to the point where I haven't had to clean glass in months. I would recommend them to anyone! Please notice the extensive growth of the Anubias on the left. It has been in the tank for a year and has really done well IMO.

Here we are pre-trim.

July 18

Post trim
July 23

Pogostemon Erectus
pre

post - trimmed and replanted tops

Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
pre - this is the second trim and it really got bushy after the first. Very impressive

post - trimmed and pulled dozens if not 100s of stems
Old 07-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #44
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awesome looking tank. Where did you get a 40g long? I want one.... Lol. Is it 4 feet long? How wide/tall?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #45
Tvadna
Planted Member

I found it on a local aquarium forum. It is the exact foot print of a 55 gallon as it sits on my old 55 gallon stand but it isn't as tall. 48" long x 13" wide. The difference is the height. A 55gallon is 21 inches tall and the 40L is 17" tall.

It's the old school version meaning the glass is really thick so it was built with out a center brace. The only down side of it is the age, it had a few scratches when I bought it. For $40 I got it and a glass top which I don't use but still think it was a good deal.