Not so new anymore, planted 45 tall. With better..ish pictures - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #16
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Thanks! Like everything I've done in this tank that looks good, it was completely on accident and just happened
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

That last picture is awesome, love the way the dirted substrate looks. Curious though, What kind of equipment are you running? Filters, Lights stuff like that?
tattooedfool83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
thelub

Thanks. Keep in mind that substrate looks a little different because it has sand and peat moss mixed together.

Equipment:
Tanks: 45g tall
Substrate: Sphagnum peat moss mixed with PFS with a PFS cap.
Filter: Old marineland HOB filter with MarinePure ceramic bio balls courtesy of SouthernOak Aquatics
Lighting: Lowes T12 shop light with 2 Phillips 6500k plant life bulbs.

And thats about it. I put in some API root tabs when I set the aquarium up and occasionally dose API leaf zone liquid ferts.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
thelub

Well its time for a long overdue update on my jungle. After 6+ months in this tank, I can say the depth of the sphagnum substrate is too much. 90% of my stems have rotted out of the dirt for some reason and the depth is all I can point my finger to what is causing the problem.

Also, I don't think I would suggest sphagnum as a substrate. I guess that's why it is commonly suggested NOT to use it. Plants (err more like weeds) grew like crazy in it, but I just cannot keep the stuff under the sand cap. I'm constantly fishing out floating bits of moss and wood. My pre-filters are clogged on a bi-weekly basis. The moss would work will in conjunction with another substance, but it by itself is a mess. And forget about replanting.

The only thing that is doing good right now are the floaters and the pothos that is in my HOB. Its putting out a new leaf on what seems a daily basis, but its probably more like weekly.

My fish are thriving though. Angels are constantly spawning (or attempting to if they can ever get their fertilization technique down) and the 2 pairs of rams look to be joining the fun soon. My corys occasionally spawn as well.

My tank looks like such garbage right now I don't even want to post a FTS at the moment.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
thelub

Old 10-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
RipG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Really sorry to see this go this way. I've had this deterioration in mine before, too, and it has made me weary. I have been experimenting with a few plants in a 10-gal tank to see what my problems might have been. First, I have created root balls for some plants and left bare aquarium for others. I have been adding liquid fertilizer along with Flourish Excel for CO2 in small to greater amounts, and I have gone from 14 hours of light down to 4 hours. After a few weeks I'm beginning to believe that my biggest mistake of all was too much lighting. With 4 hours of light the plants were doing great, so I'm gradually increasing light now to see much is perfect. Up to 6 hours now and they seem to be doing much better than ever before. All these years I kept thinking more light was better and now I'm finding out that I had been overdoing it a lot.

Last edited by RipG; 10-06-2013 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: grammar
RipG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #22
thelub

Thanks for the kind words. I almost gave up, but I was just given a bunch of new plants (like those swords) and it seems to have revived it a little (visually at least). Every time I poke the dirt it smells like rotton eggs, which is how I've come to the conclusion that its too deep. All aquarium substrate smells to an extent, but this is pretty bad.

I'm quite sure that the depth of the dirt is what is causing my issues and as soon as I move all this to my 80 it will turn around.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #23
thelub

Just recently I've added a powerhead with a sponge that is adding some much needed movement. Its also doing wonders for clearing out floaters. Clarity is 100% better. I didn't realize exactly how bad it was until I added the sponge.

I also got rid of the mat of stems that were floating on top and blocking a lot of light. I was keeping them for replanting later, but they were doing more harm than good. Besides, I needed a change and those plants weren't included in my future plans.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #24
thelub

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.