New Top Fin internal spray bar filters.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Mr.Betta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Top Fin internal spray bar filters.

My girlfriend and I were at our local petsmart today and found these new power filters from Top Fin that I had never seen before. I think they are pretty new because I can't even find them on the internet right now so there is no link for me to add to this post but they seem to be pretty good little filters. They come in three sizes 10 gallon, 20 gallon, and 40 gallon. They are very affordable and the best part about them is that they come with reusable filter sponges and the largest filter has a compartment for bio media. The sponges also have a hollowed out section with a removable plug that can be filled with carbon or any other media of your choosing and they have an adjustable flow control lever. I bought two of them to test out since I been looking for a more quiet solution to my current HOB filters and I will post some more feedback after I have tested them out some. I hope they are reliable as I know many people here have been looking for affordable spray bar filter systems.

Here are a few pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0044.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	218785  

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0043.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	218793  

Mr.Betta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Subtletanks91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

I have been thinking about getting one, but I have no use for it lol. I have to many filters already, I need to off hand some of them. I like the topfin square glass replica of the aqueon evolve tanks because it comes with this filter so there is no wasted space for a useless wet dry filter, let us know how they work for you!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Mr.Betta
Algae Grower

UPDATE:

Well I'm somewhat disappointed in both of these filters. The smaller filter developed a bad rattling sound after only one hour of use. I let it run for couple of days to see if it would resolve itself but it never did so I returned it. The small filter also seems to have virtually no filter bypass which is good and is shrimp safe but the spray bar has a rather weak connection to the body of the unit and can be easily knocked off during tank maintenance. Overall I would rate this filter as slightly above average if you can find one that runs quietly and can place the spray bar in a location so it won't get bumped easily.

The larger filter system has remained quiet in operation so far but it takes up a considerable amount of space in my 29 gallon tank and would probably look unsightly to most aquarist. Also of note I took the larger filter apart to inspect the filters and bio node things and I have noted that this filter system has significant bypass due to the sponge filters not fitting tightly inside the blue-ish cartridge thing. I found small bits of plant material had made its way into the bio node chamber which I find pretty much unacceptable. I am about to return this filter as I type this post. I would not recommend the larger filter as it has to much water bypass though a custom cut sponge may help solve this problem and because of its large size.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
iTnntree

I was trying to find some info on this filter glade other people are posting on it now.. I bought the 10gallon one it's not bad has a small noise with the motor fan just sounds like it's a little loose, I'm not sure it might just be that way, you only hear it if your right next to the filter. I was able to cut the foam in half and put bio max on the top of the sponge, it's very customizable if you just mess around with it. The water flow is good I have it on low and it's still pretty strong, the spray bar is pretty good so far so overall I think it's great for the price
iTnntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Mr.Betta
Algae Grower

I really liked the small filter too but mine was just too noisy. I know its luck of the draw sometimes when buying power filters and some are super loud while others are really quiet. I'm thinking of purchasing a new small one to see if I have better luck because I really like how compact it is and the customizable/reusable filters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.