peavs 65 gallon journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #1
peavs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

peavs 65 gallon journal

Hey everyone.
Im gonna make a journal for my 65 gallon planted community aquarium. I purchased the tank from a guy who was tearing down his fish room. The dimensions are 48"x18"x18". It is drilled in the top corners of the back glass and has bulkheads already installed.The tank hadn't been used in a little while. So I decided to reseal it. The whole process didn't take too long to complete considering it was my first time doing it. It didn't come with a stand either. So I decided I was going to build one. I've built a couple before. I used 2x4's for the construction and trimmed it with 1x4's,1x6's & wainscoting. There are 2 doors on the stand as well. They are made out of 1x4's & wainscoting.

For the equipment.
Lighting is gonna be provided by 2 dual 4' t12 shop lights with the aquarium & plant bulbs and daylight bulbs from home depot. If I feel that I want/need a bit more lighting I also have a Hagen Glo T5HO Remote 2X24W or 2X39W 24 to 36 Inch Ballast Kit. Just need to get some 36" reflectors.

Filtration will be provided by an ac70, ac50 & an xp1. The reason for three different style filters is because I already have the ac50 & xp1 of running on other tanks. I will be using the bulkhead fitting as the intake and outlet for the xp1.

Heating will be provided by a 200 watt heater for now. I would like to upgrade to the hydor inline 250 watt heater.

Plants, fish, decor
This aquarium will be a somewhat heavily planted aquarium with driftwood and rocks through out. I will be using all the plants I currently have. Im going with pool filter sand for the substrate. I like the way it looks and I've had the best results with it thus far.
Here's the list of plants I have.

Anubias nana gold var.
fissidens zippelianus
philippine java fern
Xmas moss
Weeping moss
Cabomba
Hygrophylia polysperma
Amazon sword
Dwarf sag

I have 4 pcs of driftwood the I will be using throughout the scale. I have collected them all for different tanks i have/ had running. Im hoping they will all work well together. Most of my rocks are just basic river rocks ranging in size from small to softball size.

Im going to be stocking my tank with all the fish I currently have in all my tanks. I would like to modify it a little bit.

Fish:
2 - angelfish m&f pair
1 - opaline gourami
2 - albino bristlenose pleco
1 - orange marble sailfin pleco
7 - otos
1 - panda cory
3 - pepper cories
2 - cardinal tetras

I was thinking of getting my school of cardinal tetras up to about 18 or so and get the pepper cories up to about 6-8.

I am wondering if derimming the tank will cause any issues? I had to remove the old one to reveal the tank. It came off in 4 sections.

All criticism and thoughts welcome. I'm still in the setup stages at the moment. I will post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks
Peavs
peavs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
wrm130
Planted Member

I just wanted to comment on the moss. Negatively sorry:-( be aware that trimmings go everywhere and then grow. Big pain in the butt. You'll have mosses growing in other mosses and all over the place.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
peavs
Algae Grower

Im not too concerned if the mosses grow together. I am planning on making one of the pieces of driftwood look like a tree. Thats why I've got the Xmas and weeping moss. Hopefully they will grow together nicely and fill in like a tree. As for trimming im not going to trim too often. I like the more natural look. Thanks for the heads up though. I've only ever had Java moss in my tanks.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
peavs
Algae Grower

Heres a couple pics of the stand assembled with a coat of primer and a pic of the aquarium. I've still have to clean the back and paint it black.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

That's a nice stand!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
peavs
Algae Grower

Thanks. This is the first stand that Im actually following through on. I've always gotten too impatient on my other stand builds.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
peavs
Algae Grower

Quick update. I haven't gotten much done on the stand. I've been filling the nail holes with wood filler and painting what I can. Im planning to have the tank completely cleaned and the back painted by the end of the weekend.
Just wondering if I would be safe to run my tank without a top rim? The tank measures 48"x18"x18" its 3/8" thick glass.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
peavs
Algae Grower

My little helpers

Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
peavs
Algae Grower

I am near completion on the stand. I have to wire my lights and finish a couple plumbing parts on the tank. I have started with my hard scape and figured I would post some updated pics. I have another piece of moaning to put in as well as some more river stones.

My moss tree
Old 11-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I would be carful without a rim on there. Do a test fill out side for a couple days at least. There is an old thread around here somewhere about a guy who derimmed his 75 and all went well but I don't recall how thick the glass was. The brace on my 55 broke not too long ago and there was some serious bowing but that is another three inches taller. Maybe you could get some glass cut for euro bracing or even just a glass center brace to stop the bowing. If you don't fill it all the way up it probably will be fine though, not sure how you feel about that, some people hate it when the water isn't about to spill over the edge.

Good job on your stand by the way and good luck
Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
peavs
Algae Grower

The rim that came with the tank was 4 pieces just siliconed in place. I think they were more cosmetic then anything. The glass is 3/8" think. So from what I've read I should be good without a rim on it. I may still put a glass brace in the center though.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #12
peavs
Algae Grower

Figured I should do an update on my progress. I took down the 65 and put my 75 in its place. The front glass on the 65 had to many little scratches that I didn't notice until I had it almost filled and the lights turned on. Thankfully I didn't have any of my fish in it. Im hoping to have all my fish transferred over by the end of today. Im also scrapping my initial filter ideas due to the fact that the ac50's and ac70 are unable to fit over the rim on my 75. So my plan is to run my xp1 and run an xp3 as well. Ill post pics when I get a chance.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #13
peavs
Algae Grower

Here's a couple recent pics of the tank. All the fish seem to be getting along good so far. I'm thinking of rehoming one of my albino plecos and the sailfin pleco. The plants are doing good as well.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
peavs
Algae Grower

Here are a couple updated pics of my tank. I've recently added 3 bunches of hygro rose, a dwarf star lily and a kleiner bar sword. I think the hygro was mislabeled. If someone could confirm this that would be very helpful. It is just behind the driftwood on the right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.