CO2 regulator came with manual on/off valve. Ok to leave on?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
youknowho
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

CO2 regulator came with manual on/off valve. Ok to leave on?

I got a reg that came with a manual on/off valve w/circular knob, is it ok to leave on? The knob doesn't want to turn in either direction, even with a decent amount of force. To take this valve off I'd have to remove the low pressure gauge, which looks like it has thread sealant and is really in there.

So can I leave this manual valve on or do I need to bite the bullet and get it off the reg?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Nunster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What brand of valve is this? Or if you can post a pic would help. It might be a pre set pressure valve set up.
Nunster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I bought a very high quality medical reg that cam with a valve but I did not find it handy to fit my other parts so removed it. Had it fit the connections better, I might have left it with no qualms. Assuming it will likely pass gas of enough volume, it will do nothing else if you leave it open. The decision for me might get down to how hard to remove vs. if it fits the space?
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
youknowho
Planted Member

That's what I was thinking - as long as the valve is working fine and fits my post body I was going to leave it. It does seem strange that the knob doesn't turn at all, is it pressure activated?

Here's a picture of what the valve looks like:

Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

You can remove it without taking the gauge off. Just take the knob off the shut off valve. All you have to do is undo the nut and unscrew the knob till it comes out. The you can remove the valve body.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Withoutknowing the history, I might want to do a little more checking if I could before going too far. That looks like a vlave which should just turn. Possible that it is just stuck and needs a little grunt to get it moving but then there might alos be another thought. Used reg? I might want to hook it to a tank and see it work before going too far with the other details. My thinking may be way off, so not to worry, just test some. Some regs get something really bad run into them so that it sticks the valve as well as the reg internals. You may back the bonnet off and find all is well, just the bonnet too tight!
You may know the history and know this is false but just a thought before you wrestle with one problem which could turn out to be the small item????
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
youknowho
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
You can remove it without taking the gauge off. Just take the knob off the shut off valve. All you have to do is undo the nut and unscrew the knob till it comes out. The you can remove the valve body.
Perfect, got it off! Thanks. Now if I could just get the rest of the piece off. It looks like there's tape on the threads but that sucker is in there. It doesn't help that you have to approach it at a 45 degree angle, pretty hard to get some real force behind it.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowho View Post
Perfect, got it off! Thanks. Now if I could just get the rest of the piece off. It looks like there's tape on the threads but that sucker is in there. It doesn't help that you have to approach it at a 45 degree angle, pretty hard to get some real force behind it.
A properly sized crescent wrench (the longer the better) should provide the necessary torque you require to remove the piece.

A bench vise will help too.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
youknowho
Planted Member

I was able to put the valve in a bench vise and turn the reg to get it out. Yes! Thanks for the suggestions.

Tags
co2, regulator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.