Paintball Co2 Venting Problems
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Orneryoctopus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Paintball Co2 Venting Problems

Hi everyone.

Today I purchased a Titan Controls Co2 Regulator.

For space issues I decided to purchase a 20oz Paintball Co2 tank.
I then of course purchased an adapter to connect the paintball tank to the regulator. The Co-2-Go to be specific.

The problem I'm having is that when I screw everything together, all of the co2 will start venting out of the hole of the adapter.

A few curious things I've been able to replicate.
When I screw it on initially, I will get pressure readings, but as soon as I open up the flow valve, it will instantly start venting through the adapter again. But I can only replicate that if I completely separate the tank from the adapter and try and screw it back together.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Orneryoctopus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Are you putting the crush washer between the adapter and the regulator? Does your paintball tank have a clear oring on the end of it? Are there any weird burrs on the inside threads of the adapter that could be interfering with the paintball oring? Post pictures if you can, it will help.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Orneryoctopus
Algae Grower

There is definitely an O ring on the Paintball canister. And the Crush ring is between the regulator and the adapter.

Here are pictures as well.

http://imgur.com/a/HaMOo

Thank you again. I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Simple and common mistake. Take off that pipe tape on the adapter. The seal is made by the crush washer alone. Tighten that adapter on to your regulator pretty tight, not like lugnut on a car tight but maybe half of that. The crush washer needs to get deformed in order to seal.

Edit: half the torque of a lug nut might be a little much, I found a safety pdf that calls out 20 ft/lbs for a cga320, with a max torque of 30 ft/lbs.

Last edited by xmas_one; 10-08-2013 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: torque specs added
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

Depending on the adapter, it can have a vent for when you unscrew the tank. (the theory is as you unseal the tank the pin seals the bulk of the co2 and the excess left in the system vents from the hole.) The o-ring is seal above that hole (in theory). I've had some cheap co2 adapters where the feature that depress the pin is too long and the vent location be incorrect.
SBPyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Orneryoctopus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Simple and common mistake. Take off that pipe tape on the adapter. The seal is made by the crush washer alone. Tighten that adapter on to your regulator pretty tight, not like lugnut on a car tight but maybe half of that. The crush washer needs to get deformed in order to seal.

Edit: half the torque of a lug nut might be a little much, I found a safety pdf that calls out 20 ft/lbs for a cga320, with a max torque of 30 ft/lbs.
So, ive taken the tape off. Used two wrenches for leverage to tighten the adapter to the regulator and still the same problem. Granted I'm not very strong. 120lbs of pure scrawny here. So I'll keep trying.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (104/100%)

Check to see if the oring on the paintball tank is torn or cracked. Also, make sure you're getting it screwed on all the way.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Orneryoctopus
Algae Grower

I think I fixed it. Replaced the regulator washer with a Nylon one and a new O-ring on the Co2 tank seemed to do the trick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.