CO2 improvement due to research on this board.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
mark546
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 improvement due to research on this board.

So I spent some time searching to improve my co2 set-up. I noticed I was getting alot of algae build-up even though my drop checker was bright lime green.

I am using the Aquatek mini on a 24oz co2 tank on my 55g.

First problem I noticed is even though I found several source saying silicone tubing is fine for co2 someone on here posted a chart listed the various types of tubing and how much co2 is lost through them and silicone was one of the highest. Easily fixed by a trip to home depot. Replaced the tubing with Polyethylene tubing. $3 dollars for a 25 foot roll.

My method of dispersion was ridiculously inefficient for a 55g. I was using a boyu ceramic diffuser. Easily fixed again. I went to an UP Aqua atomizer plumbed in to one of my canisters. $20 dollar fix

Third problem the cheap bubble counter that comes with the Aquatek regulators leaks and the check valves dont work. Easily fixed again. Replaced with a brass jbj regulator mounted bubble counter. No leaks and looks better. $15 dollar fix.

Fourth problem: This was a huge one. My drop checkers indicator fluid was expired. Not to mention the ista fluid is prediluted. I already had 4DKH fluid and had ph fluid in my master kit. Replaced the fluid in the drop checker and it stayed bright blue.... Free fix.

Keep in mind my bubble counter was staying lime green with 2 bps. Now I am using 6-7 bps and it barely turns aqua (adjusting it as we speak).

I am much happier and figured I would post this as it fixed 80 percent of my co2 problems.

My co2 system is almost completely working now and I am very happy. Also there is no more unnecessary equipment in my tank now.
mark546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
jonathan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Congrats !!!

Just curious. How long does 24oz CO2 last on 55g @ 6+bps ?
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
mark546
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is my first tank of co2 so im not much help. Ive had it for around a 3 weeks running at 2-3 bps and its still at 900psi I run it 8 hours a day.
mark546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
CrazyCory
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Nice fixes. Where did you get UP Aqua atomizer for $20?
CrazyCory is offline   Reply With Quote