6G Planted 360° Round and Tall
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

6G Planted 360° Round and Tall

This was our first tank, an
Aquarius 360° Gloview 6-Gallon Aquarium Aquarius 360° Gloview 6-Gallon Aquarium
my father sent for my daughter's 1st grade graduation; she's 7.

This is where we began in June 2013

We set up the tank in early-to-mid June with Glo-gravel, Anacharis, a plastic plant and faux coral from Petco and two Neon Tetras from a local aquarium-specialty store; the fish at Petco did not look good.

After about a month we added another Neon Tetra as the two were fin-nipping (which I suppose is normal in a small school/small tank) and my addiction for a planted tank began. The term "scape" had become very relevant to us

Over time we've upgraded both the lighting and filtration and have super-stocked the tank with plants. It's growing in nicely, and a bit overgrown too, but it's fun!

This is where we are as of posting, early October 2013

Lighting
Lighting was the first thing we upgraded, that was in late July, about a month and a half after starting the tank up and loosing a few plants.

We're using using these
3W Dolphin LED clamp-on 6500° white lights from Amazon for $26 each 3W Dolphin LED clamp-on 6500° white lights from Amazon for $26 each
. They fit up to 1/2" thick wall. I'd say these are medium to high output depending on height from substrate. I have not PAR metered it yet. We get good growht

That's the original filter that came with the Aquarium kit... noisy little sucker but it did work and it aerated wonderfully.

Filter
Even though the internal power filter that came with our tank was doing a good job keeping the water clean, it was loud and splattered water at every water level we tried it. So it's gone.

Now we're using an
Azoo Palm filter from amazon.com Azoo Palm filter from amazon.com
and set it up with http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3630 and two grades of foam, the Azoo black foam and AquaClear 30 Foam cut to size. I seeded these in our grow bucket with an excess plants and old filter media from our 6-gallon tank's original filter. This has been running since August 8th, right after the tank finished cycling.

Had to rescape this tank! Plans included swapping heaters, swapping substrate, and a complete, planned planting with a bunch of stems, crypts and driftwood. I really liked this piece of wood for this tank from the moment i saw it at Mark's Tropical Fish in Studio City, CA. I immediately saw it positioned sloping downward in the center and flanked with plants, leaving the entire front perimeter open

Labor Day weekend 2013, that became a reality and our first scape was born

Since then we've done quite a bit...

Here's a brief photo antholgy of the evolution of our first and most challenging tank so far

June 14, 2013

July 6, 2013

July 25, 2013

July 27, 2013

August 3, 2013

August 19, 2013

September 18, 2013

There is so much more I want to do with this tank, and eventually it will become our betta silo tank. The Azoo 150 filter can be tamed and with a wake-barrier of floating plants he might actually like it; he is in a 1 Gallon bowl on the window sill for now, anything will be better!

We love, and hate this tank. It's difficult to work in, requires draining half way+ to comfortably get to the bottom.
I wish I'd used a different substrate, EC is not nutrient rich at all, but it has a high CEC, though we are not dosing macros yet like we should. Or perhaps we'll go PPS-Pro.

Time will tell
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

Default October Update

Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Regenesis
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I really like the the tank!

Regenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenesis View Post
I really like the the tank!
Thanks
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

Default December Update

Snapped this pic today

Since the last update I added some Bacopa and created a floating airline ring to manage the floating plants, leaving an opening in the middle for light

The Bacopa emerging out of the tank is an added bonus
Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

The Bacopa is awesome! I really like the growth out of the tank with the surrounding duckweed (I think that what it is) floating plants. It has a pond theme that is very relaxing to look at.

Ever thought of adding some dwarf african frogs?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
The Bacopa is awesome! I really like the growth out of the tank with the surrounding duckweed (I think that what it is) floating plants. It has a pond theme that is very relaxing to look at.

Ever thought of adding some dwarf african frogs?
Thanks for the kind words

The bacopa was an afterthought, not part of the original design. I won a huge/tall portion at auction (SCAPE club meeting) and just started throwing it in tanks. I have some in our riparium too in trellis rafts. I love that it emerges, though I just trimmed it down this morning, it was starting to hang over from it's own weight and it is unsupported in the tank. Bacopa moneri is a good emergent plant and could be a ladder for critters... caution is required to find our CPO dried up on the deck, she likes to climb around.

The floaters are Salvinia minima and Pistia stratiotes (dwarf water lettuce) and I found the neon tetras were much more comfortable with some surface cover vs. wide open, but the floaters would cover the surface in a week if left unattended, and blocked light to plants below - I had to find a way to have both - and I like the look of the floaters too.

Frogs, not sure I want to go there... I certainty don't want to hear croaking, this tank is in my daughter's bedroom!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

Quick update: the neons are too big for this tank. One oto disappeared and the other is withering.
I'm gonna move the fish out, pull some bacopa and put in a Hygrophilia corymbosa, then move our betta in

Sent via Tapatalk. Please pardon typos or brevity
Old 01-09-2014, 03:04 AM   #9
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

Default Not sure what to do with this tank...

I am bored with this tank. Not much going on with it, and I'm not sure where to go with it next…plus, it's a PITA to maintain due to it's depth and diameter.

The otos seemed disinterested with the GSA and up and died.
Neons are too big for it, and I can't easily net them without wrecking the tank
Our CPO seems to be doing well but keeps going around in circles
The tank is too deep for anything to grow on the substrate with the current LED
The DW has developed 100s of white dots, some sort of fungus
The floaters are a pain to manage and keep dropping root stems which I have to tweezer or suck out
The moss and bacopa are growing well, as is the anubias and java fern, but not much else grows well in here

Maybe I'll start throwing neo culls in there and watch an aquatic version of the hunger games…

I'm looking for ideas for what to do with this tank. I have a few ideas but I'd love to hear from the more creative and experienced here.