LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0 - Page 248
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #3706
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
I'm setting up a nano, and I'm looking around for some small manzanita and any ADA stones, especially seiryu stones. Im in downtown manhattan, but I'm very willing to travel in search of good prices!

good luck with the stones. I would try to pick some up via the forums here. I've searched long and hard in nyc for "ada stones" and came up short. The only small success I had was going from flower shop to flower shop in chinatown and I found one store that had a shoebox of leftover broken ryouh stones that they used for their bonsai displays. I made a deal with the store owner. I ended up giving him a dollar per stone and he seemed happy with it. If they don't have bonsais in the shop then keep looking. the flower district sometimes has some cool wood pieces, but nothing ada like for stones.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #3707
Cokers
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
@ cokers, I saw a quantity of healthy looking bamboo shrimp at the the petco in union square when I was there the other day. You should check it out!
Hey, thanks man. I'll be sure to check it out this weekend!

5.5 Gallon College Tank
Cokers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #3708
Cokers
Planted Member

Dang it, bought a bamboo shrimp yesterday from petco and found it dead this morning.

5.5 Gallon College Tank
Old 10-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #3709
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

I had a petco bamboo shrimp for 9 months until it suddenly died. Acclimation and an established environment are key for these guys.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #3710
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Not sure if anyone is familiar but there is a fish shop at Avenue U and East 13th. They have some nicer looking guppies and some interesting fish. Got a bunch of pygmy cories from them. However, please check your fish after buying. The owner apparently switched one of our guppies(that we chose) from the plastic container, and gave us one that had a bad case of fin rot. Came home and isolated right away but already we're seeing damage being done. Other than that, the store seems interesting enough(except for the switch).
kurosuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #3711
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Tomco, on bay parkway..not really anything of significance there, they seem to specialize in bigger size- like TSN, a tank full of like 30 of them hah... rtc x tsn I think also. Jardinis, really really nice looking. Did find a catfish i was unfamiliar with, the crystal eyed catfish..gorgeous! also a tank full of pea puffers, were lotttttttttss of them. $5 or so
VivaDaWolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #3712
Cokers
Planted Member

I think my problem was that I didn't acclimate his slow enough, although I'm sure the 4 hours of being bumped up and down in the bag didn't help.

5.5 Gallon College Tank
Old 10-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #3713
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
Tomco, on bay parkway..not really anything of significance there, they seem to specialize in bigger size- like TSN, a tank full of like 30 of them hah... rtc x tsn I think also. Jardinis, really really nice looking. Did find a catfish i was unfamiliar with, the crystal eyed catfish..gorgeous! also a tank full of pea puffers, were lotttttttttss of them. $5 or so
Is that the place on 64th and BPwy?
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #3714
furnfins
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodOnMyRod View Post
I went there at their old location about 5 or 6 years ago. From what i recall they had all types of custom made tanks and will make tanks to your specs. As far as livestock they had everything from common to rare and everything looked healthy, but the prices were astronomical. I never went back again because i would never pay the prices they had on their fish. Could be different now. If i am in the area i will stop by their new shop and let you know, but from what I saw in the past I would not go out of my way to go there unless your pockets are deep.

- Ruben
Figures something had to be, it looked really nice. I guess they had high rent. I wouldn't mind making a trip especially if there is other LFS's in the area.
furnfins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #3715
ivan.f
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

House of Fish & Pets - Jamaica has a nice selection of Betta's and also Pygmy Cories for $2.69 healthy and active.

Sidenote: Anyone who has been to Pacific lately know if there are any female Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario) there?
ivan.f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #3716
the_deeb
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
Woah, sounds like some serious monster fish. Haven't seen a crystal eyed catfish in years. Hemibagrus wyckii: probably one of the most aggressive catfish out there.
the_deeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #3717
Cokers
Planted Member

Oh and another thing of note:
When I went to the Union Square Petco, they have these massive crabs called Thai Devil Crab. Holy $&*! were they big, easily 5 inches across and with these powerful looking claws. And of course, stupid Petco put them in with these longfinned goldfish...

5.5 Gallon College Tank
Old 10-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #3718
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Pacific usually sells scarlet badis? I'm really close in ordering some from Jinkz but if pacific has it, I might just get it there...
kurosuto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #3719
ivan.f
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosuto View Post
Pacific usually sells scarlet badis? I'm really close in ordering some from Jinkz but if pacific has it, I might just get it there...
I have read a few people saw them there. If you want I have 3 Males.. ( I think.. but if I can find 1 female for sure I can give you a male as a trade. If you're up for it.)
ivan.f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #3720
Ckobusk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Giant Fancy Goldfish

Hi guys, if you see huge fancy goldfish ( Oranda, Ranchu, Lionhead, telescope, pearl scale ) not comet kind goldfish in any pet store please let me know. Huge fan of them. Thanks.
Ckobusk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.