120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137 - Page 137
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #2041
DaveFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
A bit more growth for the pennywort (1 week will be plenty) and then some filling in for the rear right corner, then a little trim, and this should be at the apex. I'll clean up the front edge and cut the foreground plants back about 1" to match up and provide a nice clean line without plants pressing against the front glass.

How are you plants sooo colorful? What is your secret. What are your lights? I cannot handle how colorful the plants are. I have never seen plants soo vibrant.
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #2042
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (260/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
How are you plants sooo colorful? What is your secret. What are your lights? I cannot handle how colorful the plants are. I have never seen plants soo vibrant.
I dip them in paint.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #2043
Positron
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Would it be safe to use a latex or do I have to stick with water based paint?
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #2044
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Would it be safe to use a latex or do I have to stick with water based paint?
Latex if you want stocking to remain constant, non-latex if you want your fish to breed.

Joking aside I recently added the red UVL bulb that Tom has (listed somewhere earlier in this thread) and have been messing around with other light bulbs. While 6700k bulbs grow things just fine, I have been able to get much better colors out of my plants just by swapping the bulbs around. I don't know that they are growing any better, but I do like the way it makes them look.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #2045
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
Latex if you want stocking to remain constant, non-latex if you want your fish to breed.

Joking aside I recently added the red UVL bulb that Tom has (listed somewhere earlier in this thread) and have been messing around with other light bulbs. While 6700k bulbs grow things just fine, I have been able to get much better colors out of my plants just by swapping the bulbs around. I don't know that they are growing any better, but I do like the way it makes them look.
I have seen the same thing in my tank since adding the UVL red sun bulb. It took some time getting used to but I really like the way it makes the plants look if used with a combination of different spectrum bulbs.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #2046
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

If you have many bulb fixtures, then you can play around, but if you have only 2 bulbs, then a red will make the tank look too weird, freaky etc.

The light in the tank looks good, but the light fixture still messes with you.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #2047
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^I should add that I only have the red bulb on when all four are on. I tried the red sun with just one 10k and then with just one 6700k and while I could probably get used to the appearance, it was clearly an unnatural shade. With four it balances out nicely.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #2048
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
^I should add that I only have the red bulb on when all four are on. I tried the red sun with just one 10k and then with just one 6700k and while I could probably get used to the appearance, it was clearly an unnatural shade. With four it balances out nicely.
I could not handle anymore than 1:3 other bulbs colors for the red sun, it's a wicked red.

But makes the plants reflect back to our eyes a lot of red, the Coralife colormax t5's also did a lot of that, but they are weak in the overall PAR, while a white GE starcoat is really high, but will not reflect as much red color.

I likely have spent 1000$ on T5 bulbs playing around.
Not so much PAR readings, rather, specific to plant and and my own eye's aesthetics and perceptions. Which ultimately is what the questions about lighting really boil down to: grows the plants well(most bulbs do this) and the rest is just aesthetics.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #2049
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Im irrationally jealous of your tank

what are those lovely orange plants?
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #2050
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I could not handle anymore than 1:3 other bulbs colors for the red sun, it's a wicked red.

But makes the plants reflect back to our eyes a lot of red, the Coralife colormax t5's also did a lot of that, but they are weak in the overall PAR, while a white GE starcoat is really high, but will not reflect as much red color.

I likely have spent 1000$ on T5 bulbs playing around.
Not so much PAR readings, rather, specific to plant and and my own eye's aesthetics and perceptions. Which ultimately is what the questions about lighting really boil down to: grows the plants well(most bulbs do this) and the rest is just aesthetics.
Convenient that you just mentioned that. I was asking an online retailer today about the Red Sun bulb as they carried the shorter lengths but not the 54W. They said it has been discontinued, or will be soon. Assuming there is any truth in that, are there any decent alternatives? I don't really want to order a case of them, but it really does look nice.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #2051
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Do you use or recommend a PAR reader?
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #2052
Wolf19
Planted Member

This may have been asked already, but Tom - do you use GE bulbs for this set up?
Wolf19 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #2053
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

I'll likely redo/scape the tank in the next month or two.
Don't worry, it'll still have most of the same plants/colors etc.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #2054
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

You know Tom, if you just tried a bit, that a top 10 IAPLC tank. Pic # 2 looks majestic, toss on some moss (IAPLC love moss) and you got a killer tank.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #2055
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
You know Tom, if you just tried a bit, that a top 10 IAPLC tank. Pic # 2 looks majestic, toss on some moss (IAPLC love moss) and you got a killer tank.
I doubt that, maybe back in 2001. Today, way down there. Maybe top 200 if I was lucky.
I just reduced the gamma a tad and then cropped and resized the images, they are pretty much just point and shoot pics, not special photoshoot, no flash, no black or white boards, no filtering the water or doing several large water changes back to back etc.
Debating if I'll even bother. I approach this more like an open house, than photoshoot. But I will get around to a decent photo shoot sometime this week maybe. Video etc.

I have no interest or desire to enter contest, never "did it" for me. Same with Judging contest. My tank, hard work and intellectual property becomes ADA's basically and then they use that to promote their company. I do not need "promotion", so it a very very one sided affair and then to be knocked way down below the top 100-200 is perhaps more than likely. So......

Anyhow, I've made more $ off the tank selling plants and farming than any IAPLC prize money could possibly offer. And unlike a contest, that is money in the bank. I know many of the top folks really focus very strongly on such contest, some come back year after year, but many do not unfortunately. The AGA contest is the only one I really support. Many of the ADA entries are in that contest also. Likewise, that contest has gotten really competitive. But the AGA is a non profit and is the oldest on line contest in the world.

I can enter as a show case aquarium, a non competitive entry for that.

There's plenty of moss in the tank, you just do no see it from a distance or the views. Sure, I can easily add more Fissidens, Xmas etc real quick, but....they are weedy.

Last edited by plantbrain; 10-09-2013 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: photoshoot
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.