2 Ottoes died since i started using co2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
Orca2013
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

2 Ottoes died since i started using co2

I lost 2 Otocinclus affinis in just 3 days period
I started using co2. 1.7 bps in 25g Hevy planted tank (Is this too much?)
People in pet shop told me that i dont need aeration any more since I have a lots of plants. They told me I dont need it at night too so I turned it off.
they told me to turn on co2 1h before lights are on and turn it off 2h before lights are off, but i was turning off co2 1h before lights.
I have no surface agitation
Is this the reason why my Ottoes died.
No fish has gasped for air.

Do I need aeration at night?

Sorry for some bad English.
Tnx
Orca2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
levian
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I can't really help you, but in my experience, Otocinclus death is common during the first few weeks following their introduction into your tank.

I have about 12 Otocinclus in my heavily planted tank (w/ CO2), and they all seem well so far (It's been about 2 months).. I do have constant surface agitation, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I also turn my CO2 off 1 hour before lights are off
levian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Yes. I think u need some sort of surface agitation. Oto come from high current high ocean level areas. You don't need to make bubbles with the agitation. You just want to see some slight rippling to create oxygen transfer.
Do yourself a favor and don't rely solely on lfs info. While there are a few out there that know what they are talking about, most just make stuff up to make the sale. Better off asking a question here then asking an lfs employee.(sorry to those who work at an lfs and are actually knowledgable)
Also, levian is also correct. Otos do die in the first week or two commonly.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Orca2013
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
Yes. I think u need some sort of surface agitation. Oto come from high current high ocean level areas. You don't need to make bubbles with the agitation. You just want to see some slight rippling to create oxygen transfer.
Do yourself a favor and don't rely solely on lfs info. While there are a few out there that know what they are talking about, most just make stuff up to make the sale. Better off asking a question here then asking an lfs employee.(sorry to those who work at an lfs and are actually knowledgable)
Also, levian is also correct. Otos do die in the first week or two commonly.
I do have pump 120g/h but its pumping below surfaice of the water and its creating strong current

Quote:
Originally Posted by levian View Post
I can't really help you, but in my experience, Otocinclus death is common during the first few weeks following their introduction into your tank.

I have about 12 Otocinclus in my heavily planted tank (w/ CO2), and they all seem well so far (It's been about 2 months).. I do have constant surface agitation, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I also turn my CO2 off 1 hour before lights are off
What is the size of your tank?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-05-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 10-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
levian
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca2013 View Post
I do have pump 120g/h but its pumping below surfaice of the water and its creating strong current
Oh it's actually the same as what I do (using a Fluval 306 though). Strong current/ripples, but no bubbles.

I have a 70 gal tank in which I used to have 18 otocinclus, but 6 of them died during the first two weeks when I introduced them into my tank. Note that I did a 1-2 hours drip acclimation (my lfs water PH was close to 7.8, and mine was near 6.0) while CO2 was still running.

You might want to use a drop checker. (helps to know if you have too much CO2 or not)... But usually, people would recommend looking at your fish (if they're gasping for air) and your plants health.

Maybe you started injecting CO2 too fast? Otocinclus are pretty fragile fish... but it seems they become hardy after a month in your tank

Last edited by levian; 10-05-2013 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: typo
levian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"I do have pump 120g/h but its pumping below surfaice of the water and its creating strong current"

Does this mean it is moving water at the surface creating a slight ripple?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Orca2013
Algae Grower

Quote:
"I do have pump 120g/h but its pumping below surfaice of the water and its creating strong current"

Does this mean it is moving water at the surface creating a slight ripple?
Mah, its just waving a bit.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

does it help if you feed the oxygen pump into the powerhead pump? about to buy some otos myself and would hate to see them die..also have a heavily planted tank with co2 running.
kurosuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosuto View Post
does it help if you feed the oxygen pump into the powerhead pump? about to buy some otos myself and would hate to see them die..also have a heavily planted tank with co2 running.
I have co2 in my tank and the Otos are fine. Just make sure u have some surface agitation to break up the surface film to get oxygen to ur water.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have 3bps and my checker are yellow and my otos are fine. Fat bellies.

I have no surface movement instead of a skimmer. Open top.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by concepts88 View Post
I have 3bps and my checker are yellow and my otos are fine. Fat bellies.

I have no surface movement instead of a skimmer. Open top.
From the look of ur tanks I would say u are quite experienced with co2 and heavily planted. Ur plants are probably producing a lot of the oxygen are they not. Correct me if I m wrong. I don't get offended. I'm from New Jersey. For someone asking question about co2 killing their fish or questions about Otos who is still dialing in their tanks, do u not think it better advise to make sure they r getting proper surface agitation in case their plants are not producing most of their oxygen.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
From the look of ur tanks I would say u are quite experienced with co2 and heavily planted. Ur plants are probably producing a lot of the oxygen are they not. Correct me if I m wrong. I don't get offended. I'm from New Jersey. For someone asking question about co2 killing their fish or questions about Otos who is still dialing in their tanks, do u not think it better advise to make sure they r getting proper surface agitation in case their plants are not producing most of their oxygen.
That may be true, but it doesnt matter if he is doing 1 bps per 3 seconds and I am doing 3bps per second, and if he is heavily planted or less, or I am more. But if our drop checker is yellow in both instances, then we are generally are in the same range, correct?

If he doesnt have surface agitation, he should adjust his co2 flow output instead of adjusting for surface agitation which is unpredictable because the water level may rise and lower with the pumps.

Lastly, I believe most otos die from starvation more than anything else.

My point was that I was in the yellow zone and my otos are happy, and I usually just dump my otos in from Petsmart into the tank without any co-2 acclimation into a tank which is in the yellow.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fair enough. I understand what u r saying concepts88. I would still prefer to have some agitation to prevent an accidentally gassing on my own tank, but that's my opinion.
You have some beautiful tanks btw.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #14
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)

I always have an airstone to counter the co2. Better safe than sorry
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 AM   #15
jonathan
Planted Member

You need to balance surface agitation with CO2

Why ?

Well, the benefit is that you can have a much higher C02 concentration without killing your fish.

Without surface agitation or skimmer, you risk having too little CO2 for plants, and too much CO2 for fish.

Tom Barr has the perfect explanation but I don't know where I read it.
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nts