The Buce Crypt Mountain Pics 03-18-2014 - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #76
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

That cordata rosenivarg is probably the best looking crypt I have ever seen and it has pink!! It just went up to the very top of my list (bumped down nurii a spot), going to have to chatter non-stop to the boyfriend about it until he lets me get one. -completely just fell in love-
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #77
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
That cordata rosenivarg is probably the best looking crypt I have ever seen and it has pink!! It just went up to the very top of my list (bumped down nurii a spot), going to have to chatter non-stop to the boyfriend about it until he lets me get one. -completely just fell in love-
Its my girlfriend's favorite too haha, you're not alone. If I have any babies in the next couple of months, I'll let you know!!
pianofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #78
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank was in for a major cleaning today. I've been having problems with brown hair algae the past couple of weeks. I've since upped my co2, did the algae one two punch and started dosing excel for the next week to nip it all in the butt.

Before pic:

After pic:

And here are some tank pics. Everything is growing in pretty well!. Just gotta get this last bit of algae under control.

FTS

Left

Right

Loach on Moss

DaBucey Driftwood Island

Lots of healthy growth on my "True Dwarf Sag"

Buce Lamandau Purple

Buce Brownie Red

Erio Sulawesi+ Cryptocoryne Flamingo stub

This is a slowly reviving Cryptocoryne Flamingo, It just started to get a brighter green !!!!!

Cryptocoryne Affinis "Metallic Red"

You can see the baby plantlets forming from the shoots

Crypt Cordata Rosanervig going strong, with Clinopodium Brownei in the background, went through the submersed transition flawlessly.

Buce Bukit Betung

Buce Golden Bell - I split it up into all the baby plantlets and got about 6 new plants from the mother plant.

Erio Sulawesi

The one surviving node of Elatine Hydropiper!

Fish protecting the begining of the hydropiper carpet

What do you think??
Joshua
Old 09-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #79
austin.b
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

wow! Ive been following since the beginning and just wanted to say your tank looks awesome!

I do have a question though, whats the current pH?
Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #80
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.b View Post
wow! Ive been following since the beginning and just wanted to say your tank looks awesome!

I do have a question though, whats the current pH?
Thanks man, its definitely coming along. I still can't wait for the day when my fissidens will completely fill out haha.

My ph without co2 is 7.4-.5 outta the tap. I'm not sure how much of a dip I get when my co2 is on however.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #81
austin.b
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Thanks man, its definitely coming along. I still can't wait for the day when my fissidens will completely fill out haha.

My ph without co2 is 7.4-.5 outta the tap. I'm not sure how much of a dip I get when my co2 is on however.
That might be a little while, but the co2 will definitely help you out! lol definitely looking forward to the fissidens.

Oh wow, thats great. I cant wait to pickup some erios now, hopefully they'll look as great as yours!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #82
Ebi
Aquatic RASTA Farmer

PTrader: (120/100%)

Crypt Cordata Rosanervig...

You're one leaf ahead of me, but I have a new leaf shooting out so i'll be tied soon :p

Im glad im not the only one who believes we have the true strain that keeps its pink veins

How is your Cordata doing?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #83
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.b View Post
That might be a little while, but the co2 will definitely help you out! lol definitely looking forward to the fissidens.

Oh wow, thats great. I cant wait to pickup some erios now, hopefully they'll look as great as yours!
Fissidens is doing much better I must say.
Good luck with the erios, theyre real interesting plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
Crypt Cordata Rosanervig...

You're one leaf ahead of me, but I have a new leaf shooting out so i'll be tied soon :p

Im glad im not the only one who believes we have the true strain that keeps its pink veins

How is your Cordata doing?

My cordata is doing great! I currently have 2 strains of it in the tank. One is doing bleh, but they one you are refering to is doing great. Its still retained its pink veins, however, the most recent leaf that just came out is a bit duller than the rest. We will see. Its only put out like 2 leaves since it was planted, so it could still just be settling in. I do believe that the strain I have is a strong one.

Here's two of the most recent pics. Pre trim and post trim. Oh yeah and I removed the Ballansae and added more stem plants.

Pre Trim

Post Trim

Ballansae when I took it out. 4 feet long lol.

Also added 7 BN plecos. Tank looks loads better.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #84
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (93/100%)

Love the tank
hedge_fund is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #85
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow, it's so much better than before even
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #86
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Love the tank
Thanks Hedge,
Its like a mini slice of yours haha. I wish I had all that depth to play with. Must be fun
But I agree, I'm loving this tank too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Wow, it's so much better than before even
Thanks Bserve! I think so as well.

I thought that the Ballansae was a beautiful plant, however, it was a real eyesore in person. It took all of the attention away from the crypts and buces down below.

Also as I've been struggling with gobs of filementous diatoms over the past few weeks, I decided to,
1. Monitor my co2 more closely-> resulted in noticeably more pearling

When I took out my Ballansae, the koralia powerhead was no longer needed, so:
2. Decreased my flow without the powerhead-> resulted in more relaxed fish and an increase in plant growth.
3. Added Cherry shrimp, dario hysignon, and 7 BN plecos - 6 longfin browns and 1 short fin L-144. -> resulted in a lot more activity, and a noticeably cleaner tank at the end of the week!

So in short, fingers crossed that tank maintenance due to diatoms will now be decreased.

Also thinking about selling off all of my true dwarf sag and replacing it with Elatine Hydropiper. I like the grass, but its a bit too tall for the area I want carpetted. Guess I'll need to do another for sale add.

Fissidens has finally started growing much more lush! Thank you lil shrimps!
Also added several new species of stem plants to the tank.

Ludwigia Palustris 'red'
Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum'
Persicaria 'Sao Paulo'
Ludwigia Senegalensis
Ludwigia glandulosa
Rotala bangladesh
Rotala 'Mini Butterfly'
Alternanthera reineckii var. Ocipus
Murdania sp. red

I realize that's alot, but I want to try and see which ones I like the best and then consolidate later... maybe?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #87
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Made quite a few changes to the tank recently.
I've condensed my plant list a good bit and done a big trim recently, so it'll be at least another week before I post new pics, but I'll describe a few of the more recent changes.
I sold my A. Reineckii var. Ocipus (just didn't like my harder water) also sold Murdania sp. red (beautiful plant, but my tank's not big enough to be able to appreciate it.

So instead, I moved all the stems around alot. Going for a slightly Dutchish look. I have the Driftwood Island still as the main focus, but I've grouped my stems into denser clumps, which helps the tank to look a little more well thought out and also further focuses the attention on the island.

I'll go ahead and describe the tank as if I had photo's to make sense of them.
Back left corner I have a big clump of Rotala Bangladesh, in front of that in another clump I have "True" Rotala Indica (aka ammania sp bonsai), and in front of that I have Rotala mini pearl type II . I figured these smaller stems would help the appearance of depth in my tank by allowing more number of stems in smaller spaces. I ended up pulling out all of my Crypt Pontederiifolia on the front left so that I could make room for the R. type II. It will also allow me to better showcase my Cryptocoryne Ferruguinea in the front once it grows in more.

Behind the island. I will have a nice bush of Persicaria 'Kawagoeanum' and 'Sau Paulo'. Next to this will be Rotala mini butterfly which will taper to the right side leading to a nice bush of Clinopodium Brownei, with A. Reneickii 'Variagated' at the very right back corner.

So basically all of the background and the left side of the tank will be composed of stems. Before my trim this past week, things really did look quite nice and lush. I've reduced my lighting period down to about 8 hours until things start to bounce back and then I'll slowly increase it back up.

And guess what ya'll? Fissidens has FINALLY adapted to my tank and grown in! It is lush and fluffy and exactly what I wanted it to be. I'll probably have to trim it soon. I just wish I could get rid of the occasional tuft of BBA without killing the fissidens.

I've also started an experiment with my Cryptocoryne Affinis "Metallic Red".
After selling some of my trimmins, I purchased one of those glass planter orbs that attach to the side of the tank. Yesterday I put a nice layer of Mineralized Topsoil, peat, grohumate and grosoil root tabs, dolomite, muriate of potash, and clay into the bottom of it and capped with some sand and planted a single Cryptocoryne Affinis "Metallic Red". My experiment is that I would like to see I can slowly adapt it putting out leaves at the surface and hopefully encourage it to flower. and perhaps adapt to Louisiana normal air eventually and just have the roots under water. We will see. Right now the plant is about 2-3 inches under the surface of the water. I will slowly move it up as it establishes itself in the planter.

I'm pretty sure that's just about everything. Overall, I"m quite pleased with all of my plants, and now having gotten everything the way I want it, I'm just going to hunker down with the plants I have and focus on growing them really really well. Essentially, instead of pushing to see how many and what kind of varieties I can have; i'll push to see just how good I can get the ones that I have to grow, in both lushness and quickness. It'll give me a good chance to stay disciplined in the hobby and a better chance to work on my patience. I think I may even stop foraying the for sale adds in the forums just so I'm not tempted.

I'll post pics once things grow in a little better.
Thanks for reading,
Joshua
Old 11-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #88
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Really like the tank. I have a question. Of the crypts that you originally listed and there were (A LOT, LOL) which varieties would do best in low light, with root tabs? Your tank is a great inspiration to me, but I don't want to go high tech on my 25 gal.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #89
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

I've got the update pics!
Please read my above post for description on recent events!

Left side

Right Side

P. Kawag, P. Sau Paulo, and R. Mini butterly in that order

Erio Parkeri and Cinereum

My Elatine Hyrdopiper is spreading!

Replaced The C. Pontederiifolia with Rotala mini pearl type II

Going for a more bushy look with it but needs more time. Eventually the triple layered tier will fill in better. You can see the beginnings in this pic.

Shrimp Model

It's quite fluffy

Buce Browneii red flowering.

Now some of you may have noticed a nice little purple intrusion amidst my crypt Nurii.

Look closer:

You betcha! Its a genuine Cryptocoryne Nurii spathe! First spathe I've ever gotten from a crypt!! Hurrah!

Thanks for looking!
Joshua
Old 11-30-2013, 04:42 AM   #90
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Really like the tank. I have a question. Of the crypts that you originally listed and there were (A LOT, LOL) which varieties would do best in low light, with root tabs? Your tank is a great inspiration to me, but I don't want to go high tech on my 25 gal.

Thanks for the comments Scotty my man. I started off with quite a bit, but i've since consolidated down a little bit as my interests peaked towards stems a little more. However, as far as crypts go, I'd reccomend any type of Crypt Wendtii in lowtech. Another good option is Crypt Nurii. Both of these are medium to large leaved crypts. Smaller nice ones for lowtech are Crypt lutea, Crypt lucens, and Crypt parva. These are cool bushy stringy ones, very intense greens. You can also try crypt spiralis in the background of a lowtech tank. Soo many choices to try from hehe

Hope this helps, ask any other questions you may have, I'm happy to help!
Joshua

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.