Only using flourish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Only using flourish

Could I only use flourish and hikari shrimp cuisine (which I would use to feed shrimp) to keep my plants growing well in a low tech tank with eco complete substrate? Some plants I will be using: bacopa carolina, flame moss, and Hygrophila corymbosa. Thanks.
7970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
roland6543
Algae Grower

I'm not 100% sure without looking it up, but I don't think flourish complete contains the macros you'll need

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free
roland6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Canuck
Algae Grower

IMO, it's difficult to provide a one size fits all answer to this type of question. Is this an established tank? What kind of nutrient reservoir exists? If this is a newer tank or one that is kept sparkly clean, you probably don't have a large amount of available nutrients in the system. I'd suggest with an "older" tank, you can get away with lighter or possibly no macro ferts. If this were a really new or clean system, I'd feel more comfortable with some level of fertilization. What kind of plant mass do you plan to have? And how much light (how fast will your plants grow)? A heavily planted tank growing at even a slow pace can chew through more nutrients than livestock can provide. Lets call heavily planted 75% of the substrate or more. Lightly planted probably won't benefit from more macros. Let's call lightly planted 25%-30% or less. If you are going here, I definitely recommend going with the least amount of light you can use to keep your plants alive. In between these 2 extremes is really where the answer is vague. I'd suggest you would be better off using ferts but without working with the tank, I couldn't say they would be absolutely necessary.

Wishing I had a pithy quote
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Algae Grower

Hmm.. it's a new tank. Thanks for the long answer Canuck. I think I'm just going to add root tabs and just look for any deficiencies that may occur.
7970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (39/100%)

So using flourish comp doesn't provide any macros or micros? What would you need to dose as well. Sorry for hijacking, but in use the same in my 55... Flourish comp, API leaf zone(to get rid of what I have left of it what a waste of money) and flourish iron.

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
So using flourish comp doesn't provide any macros or micros? What would you need to dose as well. Sorry for hijacking, but in use the same in my 55... Flourish comp, API leaf zone(to get rid of what I have left of it what a waste of money) and flourish iron.
As Roland notes above, Flourish Comp is basically a micro. Looks like you've got micros, and certainly iron, covered.

Right from the web page:

Quote:
Flourish™ is a comprehensive plant supplement for the natural freshwater aquarium. It contains a rich assortment of important micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients. These include calcium, magnesium, iron and other important elements that have been shown to be beneficial to aquatic plants. View a chart of Flourish™ constituents and signs of their deficiency. For macro element (NPK) fertilization, use Flourish Nitrogen™, Flourish Phosphorus™ or Flourish Potassium™ as needed.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Most fish food (and I would assume shrimp food) will supply a certain amount of N, P and micros. Not very high in K, Fe or Ca.

If you have a small shrimp population, then you may not be adding enough nutrients for the plants that way.
How is the NO3 running? If it consistently reads in the single digits, but does not hit zero, then you may not need to add N, P or most micros. I would start by adding K and Fe; and Ca if the GH is under 3 degrees.

The Flourish product line includes most of these as separate items, so you can customize the dose of each using Flourish Potassium and Flourish Iron. GH booster will add Ca, and Mg, and often adds K, so read the label.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote