Stocking advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
DanielP86
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Stocking advice

Hi all

This is my first thread as I am currently setting up my first ever planted tank. I have had a few tanks before so understand the basics of fish keeping but neevr tried live plants (well not successfully) so hopefully this will change that. I am looking for some advice on my stocking choice as I am trying to make this tank as low maintenance as possible, weekly small water changes and some fert dosing being the most I want to do.

The tank
40 gallon
2x 38W Daylight T8 bulbs (6500K)
Black sand fluorite substrate
Fluval 305 filter
Air stone
Maintained at 24 celsius

Plants
Drfitwood aquarium with mainly anubis, crypts, java fern and java moss with some for of floating plant canopy is the plan. Will be very heavily planted to a jungle/nature style.

Fauna
10x Zebra Danio (existing stock)
10x Fork tailed rainbows
6x corydoras panda
6x Oto
? x Red Cherry Shrimp

I am hoping that with heavy cover enough of the shrimplets will survive to keep the population up. Also the fish will be fed daphnia frequently from a continuous colony to hopefully fulfill their hunting lust.

Are there any glaring issues I have overlooked with this?

Also I have the filter fully cycled already from the tanks current setup as a plastic plant jungle. Would I be able to use some of the mulm from the current setup to cycle the new fluorite substrate? I will definitely be using a good proportion of old tank water to kick start the process as the tank will have to cycle with the danios in it (it is their current home!)

Cheers all
Dan
DanielP86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi Dan, I think the set up is good. If you want some fast growing plants go with some stem plants and you can propagate them so you get a nice cover of background plants especially if you want a jungle theme. I would get some floating plants there great for taking extra nutrients out of the water so algae wont grow.

For the stocking of the tank I would be careful getting rainbows and danios as the rainbows can turn aggressive quickly but there usually ok. I know you want a low maintained tank. Plecos can be messy but i have found bulldog or rubber lipped plecos are small and are good at cleaning and don't make so much mess as a bristlenose. I have a bulldog pleco and Bristlenose and i can tell you that Bulldogs look so much nicer and much more efficient at cleaning and look exotic and interesting. i have 10 Otos and they like to live together so i would get maybe 8 rather than 6 as it makes them more confident. i would not advice on getting cherry shrimp as they might get eaten or not get any food a you have a few bottom feeders any way on the list. If you want something nice looking i would get Ram cichlids. I have a pair of Bolivian rams which are fairly hardy but german blue rams looking really nice. I have had not had any otos or bulldog plecos eating plants so they wont do any damage to you plants.

Good luck
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
DanielP86
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsedude View Post
Hi Dan, I think the set up is good. If you want some fast growing plants go with some stem plants and you can propagate them so you get a nice cover of background plants especially if you want a jungle theme. I would get some floating plants there great for taking extra nutrients out of the water so algae wont grow.

For the stocking of the tank I would be careful getting rainbows and danios as the rainbows can turn aggressive quickly but there usually ok. I know you want a low maintained tank. Plecos can be messy but i have found bulldog or rubber lipped plecos are small and are good at cleaning and don't make so much mess as a bristlenose. I have a bulldog pleco and Bristlenose and i can tell you that Bulldogs look so much nicer and much more efficient at cleaning and look exotic and interesting. i have 10 Otos and they like to live together so i would get maybe 8 rather than 6 as it makes them more confident. i would not advice on getting cherry shrimp as they might get eaten or not get any food a you have a few bottom feeders any way on the list. If you want something nice looking i would get Ram cichlids. I have a pair of Bolivian rams which are fairly hardy but german blue rams looking really nice. I have had not had any otos or bulldog plecos eating plants so they wont do any damage to you plants.

Good luck
Many thanks, heres hoping the first foray into planted goes well!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I second the advice on not getting shrimp. Danios would probably tear them apart if they're hungry enough.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
DanielP86
Algae Grower

okie dokie, will not add the shrimp although I may try adding a good load of them when the tank is really established and see if enough can hide away to get a colony going.

With regards to the threadfin rainbows I am contemplating either them or gertrudaes, does anyone have any experience over these species and particularly which one is easiest to breed?!

Dan
Old 10-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
JustJen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Can't help you on what's easiest to breed, but I've kept both threadfins and gertrudes and enjoyed both for totally different reasons. Gertrudes are great little fish, but they ARE little. IMO, they'd be totally "lost" in a 40g tank with larger fish like the zebra danios. They "shine" best in nano tanks where they can be seen. A group of threadfins would fit the tank size much better, imo.

I've never had or heard of a forktail (assume you're talking furcatas) rainbow getting aggressive or territorial. I've heard that of some of the larger rainbows, but not the little guys. They're still little (I use them in nano tanks) but bigger than the gertrudes, so I think "the look" would still be ok if you had a sizeable group of them. Otherwise, I'd stick to the threadfins on a tank that size. I think any of the blue-eyed rainbows are going to have to somewhat "compete" as far as aesthetics with the danios because they are of similar shape and color but the danios are larger.
JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
silva_unt
Algae Grower

I had 5 Checkered Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia Splendida Inornata) in my last setup. They grew to around 4-5". They are pretty food competitive and a bit aggressive, or maybe it was just rough play . They ignored my Emerald Eye Rasboras though and welcomed some Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish.

Never intended on having these guys... they hatched from hidden eggs in the Java Moss i bought from my LFS It was fun playing the guessing game as they grew.
Had them for about 2 years, never saw any babies.

Good luck on your setup!
silva_unt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
DanielP86
Algae Grower

Cheers for the information guys, really helps.