How long do I wait for thee?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

PTrader: (15/100%)
Lightbulb

How long do I wait for thee?

Some of you might have seen my thread a while back about, my experience With columnaris. I pretty much have 7 fish out of a total of 30. I have 4 CPDS and 3 Ottos, that survived the outbreak. I am starting over. I now have an empty 29 gallon tank, That is currently drying out, then followed by bleach, not to mention I nuked the tank with an entire substrate with a bottle of Peroxide. I hope this has or will kill anything lurking below. Few things I need help with.

Will Bleach kill Columnaris? I hope, or I am in trouble?

Should I replant and then Start again with CPDS?

Should I try Rams? I am still uneasy because I know these guys can be
sensitive. Also how Many? Will they kill each other?

Any other suggestions? Do you think a Pair of Angels or Single Angel?

How long should I watch the last 7 survivors before I know they are ok to go back in the main tank? If they go back. (I have 2 Q tanks, one large storage bin and a 5 gallon. Lesson learned QT and DIP EVERYTHING)

I could use this as a chance to get something as a Baby and Upgrade in December because I will be moving into a Larger place.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also Be on the Look out for a ROAK once I hit 500!!
Oceangirl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I wouldn't use bleach, it'll stick around to much even after a good cleaning, but yes bleach kills 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all microorganisms, good and bad.

Just use white vinegar and water mix, clean a few times, scrubbing the whole tank well. As for substrate, I'd say just start over with new stuff to avoid any issues or worry.

Rams, one pair for a 29 gallon would be enough. You can get a few and let them pair off, and take the extras back to the LFS. But most likely once they paired they'll harass the others into death. So you can either get a 'pair' from a breeder/aquabid, or make the deal with the LFS to return the extras.

I wouldn't suggest angels in there, its not much space, but more that its not much water to displace the poop/food they use. Rams a very good choice. You can still plant with them, they love plants. You can get easy plants in the crypt/sword line that will also transfer well when you upgrade. I've never seen mine use caves, but I've heard they like them, so keep that in mind.

As for QT time.... Play it safe, keep watching it for a while. I'm not expert on what you had, but I would always veer on the safe side.
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

I love my bleach, kills everything, and All you need a good couple rinses and then double down on Prime and its gone. The main thing is to make sure everybody is good. If I sun/Air dry the tank will that kill it also? I want to make sure its gone. If not, I could always turn it into a shrimp only tank. Shrimp can't get Columnaris!!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I see no reason not to bleach if you're starting from scratch. Bleach soak, then several fresh water rinses and then a very heavy dose of de-chlorinator. Air dry, ready to go.
SunSun Pimp #86
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

That is what I was thinking, but sometimes you need to know from someone who has been down that road :P
Old 10-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

You do not need to use de-chlor if you do not want to. Use it if it makes you feel safer. After using bleach and a few rinses just let air dry. Bleach naturally evaporates especially in sun light.
flukekiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
mark546
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

In my battles with BBA I have bleached tank decorations and driftwood multiple times. I just treat the entire volume with dechlor and all is well.
mark546 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

I plan on sun drying, can you sun dry in winter? Its florida.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

In actuality the sun is actually stronger in the winter

Last edited by flukekiller; 10-08-2013 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: baaad typo
flukekiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.