High school fish list part 2! (Pictures also!) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #16
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

U r going to have the hardest time building a large school of tetras so I would do that first.
I mean the local section on this forum. Put a wanted thread in there and I am sure people will help however they can for a school.
Cray fish maybe. Find a snail that won't reproduce on you uncontrollably for algae as well.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default High school fish list part 2! (Pictures also!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
U r going to have the hardest time building a large school of tetras so I would do that first.
I mean the local section on this forum. Put a wanted thread in there and I am sure people will help however they can for a school.
Cray fish maybe. Find a snail that won't reproduce on you uncontrollably for algae as well.
Yepp! We'll be adding the 30 neon tetras first along with the 12 kuhli loaches for the other tank and whatever goldfish we will be adding to the goldfish tank. I'll get working on a thread for my local area, but I'm not sure if anyone will respond.

Panay crayfish could I add that won't eat or kill the smaller fish?

As far as snails go, we might add some apple snails later on if the fish do not keep the algae under control, but I don't want to have the snails demolish the algae and then the Otos or loaches starve.

We will be adding fish this Thursday or friday.

-Giancarlo
Old 10-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #18
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Scratch that. We were unable to add them on Thursday or Friday, however we will be adding them on Tuesday! We will still start off with the 30 neons or if there aren't any, the butterfly loaches.

-Giancarlo
Old 10-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #19
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

We went in on Monday and there wasn't much left at the lfs that we go to. This is most likely due to the fact that they get their fish on Thursdays and there was a Columbus Day sale last week so there was almost nothing left. We ended up with only 15 neons. Decent enough to start out with. Here's some pics!

Sorry if they're sort of repetitive, neon tetras are not the most photogenic fish.

We have run into a problem, we added 15 on Monday but by the end of the week there were 13 left. They appear to be dying off and after research we found that they are not the easiest to keep fish. We will add the loaches next week instead of the other set of neons. We are considering another school of tetras as a centerpiece rather than the school of neons. A fish that has good colors other than the usual red and gray and is not super rare and difficult to find. Anyone have any suggestions? If not does anyone know why the fish would be dying?

-Giancarlo
Old 10-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #20
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Neons should not be hard as long as conditions are kept stable and they do not come from a weak stock.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #21
Luminescent
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
African butterfly is going to Have an expensive lunch (hatchets)
If the hatchets are good sized- it could work. But butterfly are slow stalking top feeders and may not be able to compete with the hatchets for food.
Luminescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #22
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminescent View Post
If the hatchets are good sized- it could work. But butterfly are slow stalking top feeders and may not be able to compete with the hatchets for food.
The hatchets at the lfs we get our from sell them at the size of a nickel. That's an ok size considering their butterfly's are small. Still though, I ruled out the butterfly because it gets big and will slowly eat the other fish that swim to the top. Plus when the tank is completely filled it and topped off it wouldn't even show so there'd be no point to it.

-Giancarlo
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #23
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Default High school fish list part 2! (Pictures also!)

I have some heavy updates , and there will be pictures!! However there is a catch. The updates will come tomorrow!!! That's right. Mostly because I can't take pictures right now because I'm not in school and it's 10 at night, but also because I want you at the edge of your seats anticipating what the updates are! Haha. We have many new fish in the tank as well as a new debate as to what the new school should be, stay tuned, it's worth it!

Here's a little something to get your mouth watering for updates haha

-Giancarlo
Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #24
Warbler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

You could try pristella tetras. Clear fish with cute yellow tipped fins. I also like Harlequin Rasboras. They're brown and black, sure, but they apparently school pretty well and look pretty snazzy as a group.
The dying neons could be that they were just from weak stock. Neons apparently have problems with their genetic availability, or something or the other. My first few groups of neons always had to have some individuals replaced, probably because of this.
Warbler is offline   Reply With Quote