Need help with a school fish list :) (pictures!) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #16
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Also my rule is less is more, what I mean is id rather have a larger school of one type of fish then a small school of many different fish, just my opinion

Old 09-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Piranhas are a pansy fish... Just sayin... they are rather skittish, so I guess in the end that's really the opposite of what you'd be looking for. I wouldnt exactly put them in the pricey fish group, I mean they demand more than a danio obviously, but are fairly long lived and a bit misunderstood.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
JustJen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Agree with the other poster, I personally think it's a better look to have bigger schools of one type of fish vs. several different small schools. Based on my personal preferences, here's what I'd do:

cherry barb x12
dwarf gourami x2
kuhli loach x12
rainbow shark x1 (watch this one as some can get agressive)
silver hatchetfish x8
phantom tetra x10

So basically, nix the serpaes and the red eyes, and beef up your cherry barbs, phantoms, and hatchets. That will still give you interest at different levels, and give you different body shapes to create more interest, but keep it from being too "cluttered".
JustJen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #19
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Haha the tank has lids! They'll be fine. And thanks for the recommendation list! Ill talk it over with my teacher and I like your list much better than mine. Variety Is good but too much gets confusing!

-Giancarlo
Old 09-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #20
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

I like the list, though two DGs may or may not work out in the end. Keep us updated!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #21
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Default Need help with a school fish list :) (pictures!)

Will do! Because of sports and things like that, we will be unable a to fill the tank with fish until about the end of October. Or maybe next week if there is time to get the fish!

-Giancarlo
Old 09-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #22
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Make sure with you only having 2 years left of school that these are fish that are easy enough for someone else to take over and properly care for. Probably plan on this year or next training a younger student to take over the job.
Kat12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
Probably plan on this year or next training a younger student to take over the job.
That's what my worry is, before me the tanks had been abandoned and filthy. Me and another friend, who is unfortunately my age, cleaned out everything. And it was a mess. The gravel had skeletons of fish in them, the glass was filthy, it was a lot of work. Fortunately, I didn't have much to do with the palatine tank since I don't think there were fish in that one. I plan on training on of the incoming freshmen to take care of the tanks, that way they can keep on going for the next few years after I graduate. I shall have an apprentice!

-Giancarlo
Old 10-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #24
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Good news! We will try to get the kuhli loaches in the tank at this upcoming week
Also please take a second to help out on the 90 gallon stocking list we are working on!
Located here
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=450785

-Giancarlo
Old 10-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #25
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

We could get any fish on Thursday or Friday, however we will begin on Tuesday with the 12 kuhli loaches! Cannot wait!

-Giancarlo
Old 10-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #26
got me a guppy
Algae Grower

I had a rainbow shark...unfortunately though I did not have a lid at the time and after looking for him In the tank for a half hour, I found him on the floor.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #27
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

They jump??

Don't worry, the tanks all have glass covers

-Giancarlo
Old 10-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #28
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish22 View Post
They jump??
The only fish that don't jump are dead fish.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #29
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
The only fish that don't jump are dead fish.
Flying sharks... Wonderful...

-Giancarlo
Old 10-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #30
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Update! Well, not on this tank... Unfortunately the lfs we went to gets their fish Thursday, we went in on a Tuesday and right after a big sale which mean no kuhli loaches :/ we'll go in this upcoming week though! Meanwhile here's an update on the tank to the right of it, a tank that we keep for goldfish. Meanwhile, we got neon tetras for the other tank but that's another story and it goes in the other thread.

Here are updates for the 50 gallon. We got 2 Orlando goldfish and with them two Bristlenose , one albino one regular. Here are some blurry poorly taken pics!

On another note, in the goldfish tank we have found that the water is constantly cloudy. Constantly as in all the time. From the outside this looks normal, but it worries me as to the water. We haven't lost a fish in that tank

In the 50 gallon (the other one, the one that the kuhli loaches are going to go into. There is a bunch of red algae growing in it, and I have read that Chinese algae eaters are the only fish that eat it, so we plan to out two or three in the tank. Would that affect the stocking list in a negative way? Would they fight?

-Giancarlo