Neolamprologhus multifasciatus
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Neolamprologhus multifasciatus

Anyone ever kept them? I see a little info out there, but not to much. And on top of that they're super hard to find for sale.
I have a 55 that I might setup for them because they sound cool, look cool, and would be a big change from my south america set up in my 90 and my 46 gallon shrimp tank.

thoughts? experiences? pro's/con's? know a good breeder?
help me out here!
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have never kept them but I see them all the time at the auctions here in Colorado. If you have a local club try contacting them. These fish are pretty prolific from what I can tell.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Luminescent
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestle_ View Post
Anyone ever kept them? I see a little info out there, but not to much. And on top of that they're super hard to find for sale.
I have a 55 that I might setup for them because they sound cool, look cool, and would be a big change from my south america set up in my 90 and my 46 gallon shrimp tank.

thoughts? experiences? pro's/con's? know a good breeder?
help me out here!
I have bred brichardi but not the multi. Why don't you do Lamprologus brichardi? Probably easier to get.

Main thing with brics was making sure they had plenty of shells around and a nice, soft deeper substrate. I would imagine it would be the same with multi's.

I kept my hardness and ph up with the addition of a cup of salt water tank coral sand per 20gal.
Luminescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
scokaw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

I've kept and spawned them years ago. They are really cool. Be sure to include lots of shells, at least 2-3 per fish, the more the better. The males will try to gather as much as the can, even stealing them from each other.

Sand is highly recommended. A lot of the time they will bury the shells with only the opening exposed.

They are fairly easy to spawn.

Can't help you with finding some. Check your local fish clubs. Once in a while i've seen them on aquabid.

Personally, i prefer the Similis. Those extra stripes on the head add a little something extra. But they are even harder to find.

Good luck.
scokaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
GnoixuoS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Multies are great. They are very prolific at breeding, just make sure you have plenty of shells. Sand is great too but multies love to dig. They'll probably dig all the way to the bottom of the tank. They'll steal light shells from each other but have a harder time moving around heavier shells. There's a forum dedicated to shellies, just google 'shelldwellers'
GnoixuoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
aprildawn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

i had a multi tank for over a year. they are really cool to watch. started with 7 & ended up with about 40.
aprildawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
Nestle_
Planted Member

I've put the word out locally that I'm looking for some, but I highly doubt that I'll find a local breeder. I might get lucky and one of the good LFS might get some in.

I'm in Iowa, we have to much corn to have all these tanks for multi's hell there are only a few people who even shrimp tanks from what I can tell.
There is another auction coming up in a week or two that I'm going to try and find some, but I don't have my hopes high.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Wannaberooted
Green is good

PTrader: (0/0%)

Here's a nice article. http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwate...ll-article.htm
Old 10-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I bought a colony from my LFS a few years ago. A wonderful fish. They have 2-3 babies at a time and raise them in their shells. They seem to be very tolerant of other fish's babies and don't eat them. I housed them in purple Florida barnacle clusters that I bought on [Ebay Link Removed] They need shells, pipes or nooks to live in and like their water hard like other rift lake fish. Very easy to keep, but they are intolerant of cold. I lost my colony when we lost power a few years ago during a winter storm. They died during 3 days of 55F.
Zapins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #10
Nestle_
Planted Member

damn that sucks!
I may not get away with setting up the 55 for them, and may just get a small colony for a 20 tall that I did a rocky background for. Might help it look good instead of just sand and shells lol
Was even thinking about creating little spots for something like anubius to grow out of and up the wall.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

One of my favorite fish species...quite possibly the easiest things to breed outside of livebearers.

If you ever make it up to the Twin Cities, there are some shops that have them in stock as well as a lot of local breeders around the area. A bit out of your way though for fish...see them relatively often on aquabid and other vendors online. Cichlid-specific forums are another good place to look.