Tetra Fat and Missing Fins
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Fiala06
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tetra Fat and Missing Fins

So I just noticed this today. I have about 8 neon tetras and 1 of them is fat and missing fins.

All my fish are healthy, beautiful fins, etc. I have about 20+ fish in a 55 gallon. (smaller fish)

Neons Tetras
Back tetras
Black Tip Phantoms
Coreys
BN Pleco
Ghost Shrimp

What would cause this? I put him/her in a breeder box in case if was from the other fish but all my fish have been together for about a year now... no issues.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

From the look of his fins and tail someone is nipping him up. I can't say what is causing it. Perhaps the fatness is from disease and the other tetras are chasing him away from the school to prevent disease spread. My best guess, whatever it is worth.
jeepguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

my full grown neons are that size, and they're not diseased.
it could be the ghost shrimp honestly, a lot of the time 'ghost' shrimp are red claw macro's who will grab fish while they're sleeping, esp if they are hungry.
the other tetras could be doing it also, without a 'predator' in the tank I've noticed that neons are very very very mean to each other, but as soon as say a betta/angelfish or other large fish comes in, they are instantly schooling and not attacking each other.
just food for thought.
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Fiala06
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
From the look of his fins and tail someone is nipping him up. I can't say what is causing it. Perhaps the fatness is from disease and the other tetras are chasing him away from the school to prevent disease spread. My best guess, whatever it is worth.
Yeah that was kinda my guess. Figured after I get home from my bike ride, I would move him over to my 10 gallon for awhile hoping he heels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestle_ View Post
my full grown neons are that size, and they're not diseased.
it could be the ghost shrimp honestly, a lot of the time 'ghost' shrimp are red claw macro's who will grab fish while they're sleeping, esp if they are hungry.
the other tetras could be doing it also, without a 'predator' in the tank I've noticed that neons are very very very mean to each other, but as soon as say a betta/angelfish or other large fish comes in, they are instantly schooling and not attacking each other.
just food for thought.
I did have a beta up until about a month ago. He was kinda mean to the other fish so I gave him away. I do know that this wasn't there before I removed him.

I have some API Pimafix laying around. Would that help his fins regrow/heal? Figured if it would hurt to try I'd also feed him mashed peas hoping hes just bloated..
Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I would put him in a separate QT tank, keep the water quality impeccable. Methylene blue dip would help too. A tiny bit of crushed peas is a good idea.
jeepguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Fiala06
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
I would put him in a separate QT tank, keep the water quality impeccable. Methylene blue dip would help too. A tiny bit of crushed peas is a good idea.
Thanks just moved him into my 10 gallon QT tank. Now the waiting game.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
Imaginary1226
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Look down on him from above the tank, are the scales sticking out? Fish with dropsy tend to have torn fins and be bloated. Unfortunately if it's dropsy you can't do anything about it, for it is only a symptom of many potential problems. Most likely an organ is failing. if you aren't sure use a magnifying glass from above.
Imaginary1226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.