Brian's ADA 60P (Ver. 2.5) + Ecoxotic E-Series (Starts Pg 34) - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #76
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
Tank is looking great, Brian! And I got my haul of of tools from GLA as well, very impressed.
I'm kinda PO'd that I'd ordered a couple Fluval tools just a week before the GLA prices dropped so much as I really prefer the GLA.
Thanks, Jack! I'm glad you were able to snatch up these fine tools and enjoy them as I do. This is coming from a guy who used to use scissors from the dollar store, tiny tweezers for planting, and an old credit card for spreading substrate...lol

I feel so spoiled with these tools!

Old 10-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #77
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalmackdaddy View Post
Nice tools bro!
I got a set as well, except all of mine are straight and not curved because they ran out :/
I am satisfied with the quality, but I could never imagine paying $20-40 dollars for any of these.
Well at least you got some.. but TBH, knowing how nice these are now, if I didn't have these tools, I'd probably buy 1 or 2 at full price (glad I didn't though). I mean, the ADA tools look to be about the same, but when you compare their prices to GLA, GLA at full price was a steal.

Look at ADA, it's mind boggling.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...&cPath=76_6_40
Old 10-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #78
tropicalmackdaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Well at least you got some.. but TBH, knowing how nice these are now, if I didn't have these tools, I'd probably buy 1 or 2 at full price (glad I didn't though). I mean, the ADA tools look to be about the same, but when you compare their prices to GLA, GLA at full price was a steal.

Look at ADA, it's mind boggling.

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...&cPath=76_6_40
I wish I could convince poeple to buy $170 scissors....They should come with a pedestal
Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #79
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just went on the website to get some but they are out basically
Quote:
GLA Tools Arrived Today!

So after "accidentally" discovering the blow out sale of GLA's high quality aquascaping tools, I couldn't resist the opportunity to treat myself to some NICE TOOLS! I must say, Orlando over at GLA is a great guy to talk to and the customer service he provided was second to none.

Anyway, these tools are phenomenal. I can't imagine how GLA can improve on these... but, according to Orlando, they are coming out with a whole new line that is going to improve on an already excellent product. Either way, they are the best aquascaping tools I've owned and I'm stoked I got them at an excellent price! Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to trimming up the overgrown HC in the 60F (just the tedious clean up sucks!)

Thanks GLA!

parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #80
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Current-USA Single Ramp Timer!

Look what I just got!

I think I'm going to have one Sat+ ramp Up 1 hour before the 2nd light turns on (that's on a basic timer), then ramp down 1 hour after the 2nd light turns off... Should be interesting! Once I stock this tank with fish, this should definitely minimize them getting spooked out with lights turning on/off abruptly.

It's not as cool as the Pro Timer but it was available now and cheaper!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #81
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Current-USA Single Ramp Timer!

Look what I just got!

I think I'm going to have one Sat+ ramp Up 1 hour before the 2nd light turns on (that's on a basic timer), then ramp down 1 hour after the 2nd light turns off... Should be interesting! Once I stock this tank with fish, this should definitely minimize them getting spooked out with lights turning on/off abruptly.

It's not as cool as the Pro Timer but it was available now and cheaper!

Nice!

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Will you be getting the pro ramp timer when it comes out as well?
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #82
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

I'm not sure... I'm pretty happy with the setup now. I'll consider the pro when I learn more about it. Hopefully who ever wins it in the Current contest posts a review or something so it would give me a better idea if it's worth it for my needs.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #83
arrie

PTrader: (0/0%)

hows the stand holding up to the weight of the tank? love the idea
arrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #84
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrie View Post
hows the stand holding up to the weight of the tank? love the idea
So far so good... seems very solid. I researched it before I decide to get one for the 60p. There were others before me that used it so that made me feel comfortable enough to go for it.

Check out this other 60p build thread by talontsiawd... He gave a pretty good review on the Ikea Besta. Also starting at post #22, he shows that he even drilled holes in the sides of it for his hoses. If his tank + stand are holding strong with those holes, then I would say its fairly a safe bet that it would do fine. Just be cautious about not getting the stand wet... wipe off any water immediately as it will begin to warp the laminate.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=436833&page=2

Although, I only drilled one hole in the bottom back for the electrical and co2 line.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #85
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

A dimmer timer for LEDs? You're making it tough on my wallet. Any word on the new planted version of the Satellite? If I remember correctly, there was talk on a higher output version with planted tanks in mind.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #86
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
A dimmer timer for LEDs? You're making it tough on my wallet. Any word on the new planted version of the Satellite? If I remember correctly, there was talk on a higher output version with planted tanks in mind.
I havent heard anything yet either, everyone was saying october. He is making it tough on my wallet too, I just picked up one of these ramp timers last night. He is also the reason I bought a couple GLA tools.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #87
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
I'm finally getting my ADA 60P Build underway.... exciting!

I'm trying to keep the build (for now) nice but semi-budget friendly with the potential for upgrades in the future. Also with the 'budget friendly' angle in mind, I want to experiment in trying something a little different than the norm. I'm going a little new-school and old-school mixed in with a little taboo in the world of "ADA" yada yada yada... I'm going to put on a black background and use black equipment to be stealthy, and at the same time, allowing things to "pop" more in color -- allowing my lighting choice to really shine! Colorful with contrast is what I'm going for. But in the living room as the "main tank," this is a welcomed addition -- no doubt.

Perhaps, later I will upgrade to the full-on glassware and all -- as with everything, it's subject to change and things evolve. With that said, here we go!
Here are the particulars:

Tank+Stand:
  • ADA 60-P (17g = 24in X 12in X 14in)
  • Ikea Besta

Lighting:
  • Current-USA Satellite LED+ (x2)
  • Current Single Ramp Timer (coming soon)
  • RGB LED mood lighting strip (behind the tank)

Filtration:
  • Fluval C2 HOB
  • SunSun 301 w/ surface skimmer (more on this later)
**Might upgrade to a Fluval 206 + Lily Pipes early next year (or earlier if I hate the HOB idea)**

Substrate:
  • Brian's "Special" Blend (more on this later)
  • Sand (possibly Caribsea supernaturals 'white' sand)

Hardscape:
  • ADA-style DW (not sure what it is... I'll post pics)
  • Yamaya Stone
  • Seiryu Stone

Plants: (subject to change)
  • Collectoritis Style for now! TBD

Fauna:
  • TBD

CO2 / Ferts:
  • PPS-Pro "dry ferts" from GLA
  • Aquatek Paintball Setup
  • Glut (occasional)
Okay... got that out of the way! Here are some pics and some more text!

With the RGB mood lighting strips I removed from my 12g. Wasn't sure what else to do with them so I put them behind the tank for fun. Notice how my HOB's almost disappear with the black background? Well, at least for me it does!

So I have these Do!Aqua pipes on hand, and I was really tempting myself with a Fluval 206 purchase. But then I remembered I have a Fluval C2 being unused in my closet so I decided to save some money and go with the C2. I'll just keep the glassware on hoarding status for a later time.

And the lighting! Current-USA Satellite LED+ fixtures (X2). I should be getting around 72+ PAR with these at the 12" distance from light to sub. Let's see what I can grow (hopefully not just algae):

On the tank:

-------------------------------------------------------
FTS: Updated 9/30/13 (still waiting on UG to replace the HC in the foreground)

More to come... stay tuned!
:thanks:
HOW CAN YOU AFFORD ALL THESE NEW TOYS!?! haha god i love your setup. How do you like the surface skimmer?
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #88
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I just know it's suppose to come out soon, before the end of the year. But you never know, they could still be working out kinks or what not. Kevin (Current) hasn't been active this month in the forum. Wonder where he went? There's some threads laying idle in the sponsor forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
I havent heard anything yet either, everyone was saying october. He is making it tough on my wallet too, I just picked up one of these ramp timers last night. He is also the reason I bought a couple GLA tools.
Sorry about that! At least I try to find the 'deals' and what's economical... how are you liking those tools though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermino View Post
haha god i love your setup. How do you like the surface skimmer?
Thanks!

The skimmer is cool... It makes some sink-draining noise occasionally. I just have to clear the strainer attachment from any debris like floating HC then it's quiet again. The top of the tank is crystal w/out any sign of surface scum.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #89
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

I'll let you in on a secret, HC Cuba loves medium LED lights.

Shhhhhhh...
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #90
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I'll let you in on a secret, HC Cuba loves medium LED lights.

Shhhhhhh...

Haha... well I guess I'm lucky then because it so happens I have medium LED lights! LOL

I just got some UG in so I'm going to move the HC into a tighter section and figure out this UG.

On another note, got a very interestingly shaped Drop Checker from HK the other day! I saw it on eBay and just had to have it! It's beautiful, especially for the price!

My tank is looking semi-crappy right now... I have stringy brown diatoms or rhizo on everything. It's nothing new, it's to be expected in a newly setup tank. Just playing the waiting game now.