55 Planted Community/Discus Nature Aquarium. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #31
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

The discus really love to hide in the corner, hopefully they get warmed up to the tank soon. Im gonna add a red/white or gold/yellow
jcgilmore2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #32
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/92%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
discus need pristine water quality to grow having poor water quality will stunt them
This is true that's why I was asking. I just thought you might know something that I don't. I don't see 20-25% twice as week as being anywhere close to enough water changes for a bb tank, more like 50-75% every day but maybe with a planted tank you can get away with less because the plants eat up the nitrates?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #33
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Its not I just dont have time with my work schedule

samsung galaxy s3
Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #34
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Im not worried about them growing large, I like them around 4". My water quality stays good, I do large WCs weekly for the dosing but I'm gonna stick with that unless the fish get sick or something.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #35
Wolf19
Planted Member

...how have your shrimp survived the discus?

Aside from that question - GREAT tank progression.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #36
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

I believe that have eaten quite a few, but I dont see it happen. I think they hunt them at night. Im in the process of moving as many of the bigger and nice colored ones to my 20L and hopefully get some really nice ones in there.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #37
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Unhappy UPDATE - NEW FISH and WOOD

Have 4 discus now.. and added 2 Electric Blue Gold Head Rams that I love.. they are such cool little fish.

Tank is doing well but still have a hair algae issue in the grass that I keep getting conflicting advice on..

HELPPP...SHOULD I UP OR LOWER MY EI DOSING?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newdiscus.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	225169  

Name:	newrams.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	225177  

Name:	10-21.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	225185  

Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #38
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Default November

Little tank update..

Name:	55 11-2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	231849

Seems to be going well. No one has given any advice on the hair algae in the grass though, so still dealing with it.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #39
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgilmore2 View Post
Little tank update..
Attachment 231849

Seems to be going well. No one has given any advice on the hair algae in the grass though, so still dealing with it.
Beautiful tank! If you have hair algae problems start adding a little Metricide directly to the algae and then blast it with a syringe filled with hydrogen peroxide a couple times a day for 2 days. It will start bubbling and die shortly there after
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #40
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

First of all nice job on this, especially with a 55 as they aren't easy to scape. I know from experience. Good decision taking that wood on the left out. The dude was spot on with killing the algae. I don't want to insult your intelligence but you pretty new to forum so I just wanted to say flourish excel is basically the same thing as metricide on metricide is way more concentrated, just something to keep in mind. Over dosing it too much or too much direct exposure to plants will kill them in most cases. Peroxide does a number on most algae and hair is one of them. Its also safer than excel in larger quantities.

As far as the cause of the algae, it might be the dosing but if everything else is doing well its probably not that. Maybe it needs more co2 to balance your lighting. Or what I would try along with peroxide and some excel is changing your lighting. Maybe the bulbs are old, maybe its too close, or maybe you need to try. cutting back your photo period. Idk what your specs are on all those but I run a split photoperiod to help keep algae out and it seems to work well.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #41
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Great looking tank. You did a great job on the video as well. I would caution you on adding too many more fish.
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #42
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
First of all nice job on this, especially with a 55 as they aren't easy to scape. I know from experience. Good decision taking that wood on the left out. The dude was spot on with killing the algae. I don't want to insult your intelligence but you pretty new to forum so I just wanted to say flourish excel is basically the same thing as metricide on metricide is way more concentrated, just something to keep in mind. Over dosing it too much or too much direct exposure to plants will kill them in most cases. Peroxide does a number on most algae and hair is one of them. Its also safer than excel in larger quantities.

As far as the cause of the algae, it might be the dosing but if everything else is doing well its probably not that. Maybe it needs more co2 to balance your lighting. Or what I would try along with peroxide and some excel is changing your lighting. Maybe the bulbs are old, maybe its too close, or maybe you need to try. cutting back your photo period. Idk what your specs are on all those but I run a split photoperiod to help keep algae out and it seems to work well.

Thanks a ton for the advice guys!

I'm nervous about h202 somehow hurting the discus or killing the grass... Should they be ok?

I have recently bumped my co2 up and it stays at around lime green/yellow so its pretty high. In regards to lighting, all but 1 bulb is less than 2 months old and the oldest is around 6. I also keep my 4x39w fixture about 10" off the top of the tank so shouldn't be too much light.

I'm trying to determine if it might be too much fertz or not enough. I was thinking the 40-60 guidelines might be too much with the bio load of the tank so I cut back but haven't seen any big reduction in the algae. They are like green cotton balls in the grass and pulling the clumps out weekly is a pain in the butt.... Ive also set up a power head to increase flow through there but hasn't helped much since the grass is so thick.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #43
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
Great looking tank. You did a great job on the video as well. I would caution you on adding too many more fish.
Thanks! I've been thinking of that since I started adding discus. I'm actually looking to cut back and remove the 13 harlequins, Its just a matter of catching them and finding somewhere to put them. I had room in my 20L but had to take in 2 angels and 3 candy canes from my girlfriends tank so thats out now. I really don't want to sell them but I might have to!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #44
exv152
Wannabe Guru

Very nice tank, and healthy plant growth. Four discus is not ideal for this species of fish. Someone is going to get picked, that's the nature of these fish (they pick on the weakest one in the pecking order), and it eventually dies. Ideally you want to do 6-8 minimum, but the tank is too small for that. You don't usually see discus in anything smaller than a 75g.

One piece of advice from having kept discus myself, a UV sterilizer can be your best friend. These fish are very prone to disease causing pathogens.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #45
jcgilmore2
Planted Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Very nice tank, and healthy plant growth. Four discus is not ideal for this species of fish. Someone is going to get picked, that's the nature of these fish (they pick on the weakest one in the pecking order), and it eventually dies. Ideally you want to do 6-8 minimum, but the tank is too small for that. You don't usually see discus in anything smaller than a 75g.

One piece of advice from having kept discus myself, a UV sterilizer can be your best friend. These fish are very prone to disease causing pathogens.
Thanks for the advice! I'm upgrading soon, but from all the research I did before I got them 55g was the smallest you want to go but since it is a long and tall tank they do well keeping around 6. Occasionally they pick on the smallest but its not bad at all, maybe I'm lucky. I'm getting rid of the other fish and adding another discus or 2 soon. They should be fine n here since they aren't anywhere near full grown. I don't want more than 6 and I'm not OCD about doing water changes to get them big so they will be fine for a few months since they are small until I get into a new house and get a bigger tank. Then maybe I'll get around 10... It will be a good day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.