Fluval Spec V Journal (Rescape!) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #16
tandaina
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Pics coming, but big changes here.

So the driftwood on the right side of this tank had been sanitized with every means I could think of, including a very harsh bleach bath, before going in the tank. Yet this last week I realized that the entire underside was covered in a white hairy fungus/mold. (Underwater I don't think it would be mold, so fungus.) Nasty. I took it out, removed the moss and threw it away. And if I was facing a rescape already I figured I might as well go whole hog as the black betta sand was driving me NUTS trying to plant in.

So, siphoned off half the water into a bowl where plants and betta went to spend the day. Crazy fish spent the day playing hide and seek in the plants, very happy with his tiny apartment. Other half of the water went into a large bowl where filter media stayed wet and happy as I did NOT want to lose the beneficial bacteria.

Sand gone, replaced with Eco-Complete planted tank substrate. New drift wood (The offending drift wood and old rock came from a big box fish store. Lesson learned. I'm successfully using rocks and wood from the LFS in my 9G, so went there for a new hardscape.) Rocks placed (I have a bunch of anubis coming to live in all those great holes), rooted plants replanted. Moss and java fern glued to driftwood. Driftwood placed and then held in place with a large rock until it stops floating.

Then things got complicated. A while ago I won a VERY cheap eBay auction that included a pair of endlers and 5 cherry shrimp. It arrived out of the blue, yesterday while I was rescaping. Had totally forgotten about it, had been so long. They were supposed to be for the 9G at work, but given that tank's small filter, the 30 or so shrimp I just added to it are all the bioload I was willing to add at once.

So instead, Mr. Betta got himself a fancy new heated bowl full of crypts and java fern (for now) and the endlers (I got a bonus female, so 3) and 5 shrimp went into this tank. It is not ideal for them though, one shrimp immediately got into the sump and could not be coaxed back out. I have blocked very entrance to sump I can with coarse filter foam, but 5G is also just not great for raising a school of endlers and hopefully lots of shrimp.

My plan is to start another tank (MTS alert!) for them, and when that tank is cycled move endlers/shrimp and return betta to his former abode. Of course that requires me to catch the little boogers without ripping the tank apart.

Here's the updated scape:

photo (2) by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

So that's the drama here, will be starting a tank planning thread in the low tech forum to get advice for the endler/shrimp tank.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
tandaina
Planted Member

Tank is covered with what I think are nerite eggs. I know they won't hatch/grow in fresh water but do these guys really lay that many eggs? Got five in this tank right now and overnight there are little white oblong rice grains all over most surfaces. Blech.

In other news, the non fishy husband just walked up to this little tank and said "We should get a shark, you know one of those little ones." I told him they don't stay little, they get BIG and he said...

"Then we should get a bigger tank."

That's permission, right there! No take backs. :P
Old 10-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
tandaina
Planted Member

Default Update

Well the big piece of drift wood will not water log. Just won't do it. And I got sick and tired of the rock on top of it, so went and got a small piece of driftwood I could wedge around it, the lid and light hold that driftwood down and it in turn holds the big guy down. Looks better than the rock as well.

Fish are doing well (3 endlers) and while I thought I'd lost all the cherry shirmp to some mysterious malady, while moving stuff around today they popped out of hiding. Silly things.

Untitled by JoAndRoses, on Flickr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.