Will I Be Able To Successfully Grow These Plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
chrispena33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Will I Be Able To Successfully Grow These Plants?

Hey guys! So I think I'm just about ready to start planting my first tank. I have a 60 gallon tank with a Fluval C4 filter using a Current Sat+ LED light with Eco-complete (fine) as my substrate. I would love to be able to get a nice DHG Belem carpet going with some Blyxa and a moss nano tree. With my setup, do you think I would be successful? What ferts do these specific plants need?

Like I said, this is my first plant tank. I may be reaching a little bit with my asperations, so I'm going to need all the help I can get from the community.

Thanks in advance, guys and gals.

-Chris
chrispena33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

You should have no problems with Blyxa and moss. DHG is questionable.

Eco complete is inert substrate: using root tabs (in moderation) is a good idea. With that light over a 60g I would start with 1/3 to 1/2 of EI recommend fertilization dosage and see how it goes.

Check for the fertilization regime in the sticky in the Fertilizer section of the forum.

v3
Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
chrispena33
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
You should have no problems with Blyxa and moss. DHG is questionable.

Eco complete is inert substrate: using root tabs (in moderation) is a good idea. With that light over a 60g I would start with 1/3 to 1/2 of EI recommend fertilization dosage and see how it goes.

Check for the fertilization regime in the sticky in the Fertilizer section of the forum.

v3
Thanks for the reply. I was planning on doing a dry start with the DHG. Do you think if I did that it would be alright?

This may be a dumb question, but are O+ capsules different than root tabs?

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Root tabs is a generic name. Several companies manufacture them for freshwater aquaria. What counts is their plant fertilizer content. O+ seem to be the best balanced while being the cheapest.

v3
Old 10-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
chrispena33
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Root tabs is a generic name. Several companies manufacture them for freshwater aquaria. What counts is their plant fertilizer content. O+ seem to be the best balanced while being the cheapest.

v3
Thanks, OVT!

I feel a lot better about ordering O+ from Nilocg yesterday. Do you think that I should add any other ferts once I flood the tank? I hear people talk about Excel or Flourish.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
WendyF
Algae Grower

I use osmocote + & I really like it
I also dose excel daily as I don't have pressurized co2 & have noticed a real difference in BBA which never really took over, just annoyed me with small amounts of its presence
I used to use flourish daily also but have switched to the EI micro/macro package I just received from nicolg. I am hoping for good things...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispena33 View Post
Thanks, OVT!

I feel a lot better about ordering O+ from Nilocg yesterday. Do you think that I should add any other ferts once I flood the tank? I hear people talk about Excel or Flourish.