How to propogate anacharis properly?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Zer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How to propogate anacharis properly?

So I am trying to grow a stand of the stuff in a 10 gallon tank. Only problem is that I am starting with 1 or two stems from another tank. At what point is it safe to break off and plant the little "child" plant that grows off the side? Also, it always seems like the parent greatly suffers in health during this process and might not be alive? For example, very short leaves and just a stem. Doesn't look very good at all...is it possible to keep a stem after it reproduces?

Sorry if the answers to these questions are obvious, but I am new to the hobby and have done some searching around the forums without too much luck.

Zer
Zer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
cnoon

Bump. I'd like to know the proper way to propogate anacharis
cnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
g8wayg8r
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The plant needs lots of light to look like the plastic ones at the pet shop. Most cuttings that look like that are probably grown on or near the surface outside. I've only seen it look like that, flowing at the surface of creeks in Florida. It was a nice source of free plants as a kid.

I've never had much success keeping submerged parent plant. Clip the new growth off and the better parts of the parant and replant both. Keep lots of room between the replanted pieces (in other words, don't bunch the bunch plant). My new growth always had thinner, longer leaves and smaller stalks at 4 W/gal that the parent plant. Still, it can be very attractive grown submerged with given the space to get what little light you may be able to provide for it.

This message is always under construction: 75-gallon tank; 2, Eheim 2026 filters - one twice broken; Tek Light with 4, 54W T5s (6000K) ; Sand on top of 4:1 sand:clay mixture; Milwaukee CO2 controller; PlantGuild vortex CO2 reactor; pH = 6.6, kH=70mg/l, GH=120mg/l; EI; Flourish excel on 50% weekly water change: AGA Member.
g8wayg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Werdna
Algae Grower

Default Chop it

Just chop it somewhere along the stem and stick 'er in the dirt! It will grow some roots in a few days if everything else is right.
Werdna is offline   Reply With Quote