Help with fertilizing a 75 gallon low-tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Help with fertilizing a 75 gallon low-tech

I've had my 75 gallon setup since 8/6 and my plants aren't really growing all that much as I hoped for... I have a lot of supposed fast growing 'easy' plants. I have some tiger lotus bulbs in there that are going crazy as well as some wisteria. But I haven't noticed any growth on my Echinodorus uruguayensis just leaves slowly turning yellow and withering away. I have some italian val that hasn't grown much either. But I think the main reason is, is because I'm not fertilizing anything to the tank. I'm dosing 5ml of Excel every week but I feel like that isn't enough.
My water change schedule is 10-15 gallons every Sunday.

As it stands there are no fish but 5 Amano Shrimp and about 50 RCS. Mainly a shrimp tank for now until I can figure out the plants, then add fish.

Substrate: Eco Complete- Good 2.5-3 inches throughout

Lighting- Home Depot Diamond plate dual T8 with 2 6500k bulbs

I read up a little on EI dosing but I don't know how to calculate the numbers.

I'll upload a picture of the tank so you get what I mean.
AlecFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I use root tabs in my 75 gallon and dose a cap a day of excel. I have a dual shop light 1-6500k and 1-5000k at 8hrs a day. I use to do weekly water changes but found that due to the fluctuating co2 it gave me algae problems.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't want to do pressurized. I don't have the money to invest into a nice regulator and tank. So would I have to be dosing excel every day or what? Right now I'm not seeing a ton of algae but its mainly Hair and thread algae. Would EI dosing get rid of the algae?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

For me personally I started using excel at water changes as it recommended and then started using a cap a day. My tank was algae ridden and then after a few days if excel the algae turned red, then grey and then disappeared. As got ei dosing I have no idea, I'm actual looking at going pressurized. I was looking at an aqua tek regulator with a fitting for a paintball tank. Worst case if I don't like it I can easily sell the regulator and u was planning on using it on a 20l to try it out.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Well, Excel gives you carbon but no macro or minor nutrients IIRC. Also, swords appreciate root tabs. Even with moderate lighting you might benefit from all the above.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Excel really needs to be dosed every day for it to be worth using. It's not a fertilizer and is gone from the tank within 24 hrs, "used up" or not.

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...-planted-tank/
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

My substrate is good to go. I have root tabs and oscomote caps throughout... Is there any way I can keep my weekly water change gallons between 10-15 gallons? I have a bad well. The well pump puts out 1/4 an hour, which is terrible. I buy my water from a nearby pet shop. I use these big 5 gal. jugs. Can I still do EI dosing with small water changes?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

EI is essentially a guide line. The reason 50% water changes are required is because you are purposefully overdosing to ensure that the plants get absolutely everything they need with leftovers. You can dose less and water change less, add more change more. The challenge is finding what works for you through trial
Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
badassone
Algae Grower

get some pondcare plant stimulator it will give you the best growth for both plants i have the same ones and i use that and alaska seaweed extract for hydroponics (terrestrial ferts found at homedepot) i usually half dose both to give best results.i also put pond root tabs but havent seen much in the result category on the root tabs. excell is a waste of money doesnt help root feeders much and the lotus will suck up ferts like crazy. do your research though your shrimp dont give off much co2 and the lotus is probably depleting the tank of nutrients. add more ferts or add more fish. you can also try to lower the filter output to let the water retain more co2 sounds bad but the plants will boom and clean it up after a week or so.
badassone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

from what you described, i bet you are lacking macros badly. either test for nitrates and phosphates or just dose them and see what happens after few weeks
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #11
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here are some pics to give you guys a better understanding of what I'm talking about.
I'm defiantly going to purchase the gla EI fert package, seems like a pretty good deal only $15! Can someone show me how to calculate the dosings, I have no idea where to start

So is this a nutrient deficiency of macros?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	217001  

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	217009  

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	217017  

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	217025  

Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #12
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I did some research on ei dosing and for me to do this I'd have to do 50% water changes weekly. There's no way I can do that. But I'm using excel everyday now but I have no source of nutrients. I'm considering going the complete seachem line, anybody have success with that on a larger tank? If I go down the seachem flourish route which bottles should I get?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecFish View Post
So I did some research on ei dosing and for me to do this I'd have to do 50% water changes weekly. There's no way I can do that. But I'm using excel everyday now but I have no source of nutrients. I'm considering going the complete seachem line, anybody have success with that on a larger tank? If I go down the seachem flourish route which bottles should I get?
Get the Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement.
For macros, you might also consider getting Nutrafin's Plant-Gro NPK.

I use nothing but a carbon source (a fluval mini 88 pressurized CO2 kit, but Excel will do in your case), along with the Plant-Gro NPK in this small tank, and am very pleased with the results over the past year:

Ignore the first pic, which is of a 40 gal discus grow out tank.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...uspaul/Anubias

Oh, and here's a low tech 75 gal discus tank, using nothing but Excel, along with Flourish Comprehensive Supplement twice weekly, and root tabs replaced every 5-6 months:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...spaul/Sept2011
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #14
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright sweet. That makes things so much easier. So, just follow the instructions on the label? Are the flourish comprehensive and the Nutrafin the same thing or can I use them in conjunction with each other?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

No, they're not quite the same thing - Flourish C.S. is more about micros, while Plant-Grow NPK is the 3 main macros that plants need, along with light & a CO2 source. You can use them in conjunction with each other.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote