Ammonia from breaking Chloramine Bond
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Asu1776
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (32/100%)

Ammonia from breaking Chloramine Bond

Hi all,

My tap water comes with chloramines, which I am breaking apart with Stress Coast plus. My question is, if anyone knows how to remove the ammonia as well, or do you guys add conditioners that lock up the ammonia and wait for the biological filter to take care of it.

Thanks!
Asu1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
ccar2000
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use Seachem Prime
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Prime.html
PrimeŽ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. PrimeŽ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter
Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Asu1776
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (32/100%)

Do you eyeball the amount you need for a water change?
Asu1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
ccar2000
Planted Member

Yeah, I pretty much eyeball it. I add it to the tank before adding water.

"Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose."
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

If you add the prime (or whatever) to the tank, you're completely negating the effects of the additive. You need to add the prime (or whatever you're using) to a container of water BEFORE you put it in the tank.

I use a 5gal water jug for fills and top offs. I fill with tap water, add prime, shake it up, smell it (if it smells like chlorine, add more prime) then dump it into the aquarium.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
lipadj46
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
If you add the prime (or whatever) to the tank, you're completely negating the effects of the additive. You need to add the prime (or whatever you're using) to a container of water BEFORE you put it in the tank.

I use a 5gal water jug for fills and top offs. I fill with tap water, add prime, shake it up, smell it (if it smells like chlorine, add more prime) then dump it into the aquarium.
Not true. You can dose either way. When adding prime to tank dose for full tank volume

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
thelub

Ok, you can do that, but why would you? That would be a huge waste of prime. You can use a far less amount if you just treat what you're adding.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
ccar2000
Planted Member

Whatever, at like 12 cents a mL I would rather treat my whole tank for 60 cents than to add it then sniff check it.

By the way, Prime smells bad too.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
ccar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
thelub

If you're working with a small tank, treating it all would be like me adding it to my 5g water jug to fill up my bigger tank
Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Read the ingredients and actions of your dechlor (stress coat plus)
and compare it to something like Prime, or Chloramine Buster.
Compare the price, too.

I use Chloramine Buster. It is about the same price as Prime (few cents to treat 10 gallons) and does not smell.
No added things that my fish do not need.
No slime coat enhancer (healthy fish produce plenty of slime coat- no need to irritate them into producing more)
No electrolytes (fertilizers are actually electrolytes)
No enzymes, or other microbial life related things. A healthy tank maintains a good, balanced population of these things. I do not want to mess up that balance.
I do not have a problem with heavy metals, but I could buy a chelator (powdered) if needed.

Prime and Chloramine Buster:
Break apart the chlorine-ammonia bond.
Lock up chlorine.
Lock up ammonia.

And that is what I buy them to do.

From Drs F&S:
Stress Coat Plus
16 oz treats 960 gallons cost 6.59 + shipping. Ignoring shipping this comes out to almost 7 cents per 10 gallons of treated water.
Many of the similar dechlorinators with 'extra stuff' cost about this or more.

Prime
500 ml treats 5,000 gallons cost 11.69 + shipping. Ignoring shipping this comes out to a little over 2 cents per 10 gallons of treated water.

Chloramine Buster (Clear Pond web site)
16 oz treats 8,000 gallons - $13.50 + shipping. Ignoring shipping this comes out to
a little under 2 cents per 10 gallons of treated water.
If I wanted to buy dry chelator, there is one site that sells small amounts (2 oz dry weight) that translates to 600 doses for 10 gallons for 12.95 (plus shipping). So, if I had to add this to the cost of Chloramine Plus then I would have to double the price: To 4 cents per 10 gallons of treated water.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post

It's going to be rather difficult to add Prime to a python hose while you are adding water back to the tank......
Old 10-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Nu2Plants
Algae Grower

I don't know, coming from more of a saltwater background, the idea of adding water directly from your tap to your tank is almost horrifying for me. I know people do it all the time with a python. But the idea to run it right in without aging it, without adjusting things like temp, conditioning it first, testing the parameters first before adding it, sounds almost wreckless. I don't think I'd ever do it that way.
Nu2Plants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
ccar2000
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Plants View Post
I don't know, coming from more of a saltwater background, the idea of adding water directly from your tap to your tank is almost horrifying for me. I know people do it all the time with a python. But the idea to run it right in without aging it, without adjusting things like temp, conditioning it first, testing the parameters first before adding it, sounds almost wreckless. I don't think I'd ever do it that way.
When doing a large change out I adjust the faucet to temper the water, add Prime to the tank and pour the water in a 5g bucket at a time. When adding a half gallon or so for make up, I just pour it into the tank overflow without treatment. I have never kept a saltwater or reef tank but I believe that freshwater is more forgiving like that. My planted aquarium is a 46g bowfront with a 10g wet/dry sump.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
roadmaster
Wannabe Guru

Been running water from tap to tank after feeling it for temp for 40 yrs.
Used to add Prime only for amount of water removed until...water company began increasing chlorine,chloramine content a couple times a year ,often without warning.
I now add enough prime to the tank for entire volume just before new water goes in.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
ccar2000
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Been running water from tap to tank after feeling it for temp for 40 yrs.
Used to add Prime only for amount of water removed until...water company began increasing chlorine,chloramine content a couple times a year ,often without warning.
I now add enough prime to the tank for entire volume just before new water goes in.
+1 likewise