What happens to flies in my apartment - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 09-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #16
bassistjon112
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a sundew pop up from some moss and I use my plant for this very thing. No more stupid little gnats.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Here's a fairly recent pic of the full setup. Switched everything over to larger pots and changed up the media to just LFS for the dews and Neps. Trying out some live Sphagnum as a top dressing but it's already starting to brown at the tips...may need a higher water level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.koi.maiden View Post
Great to see another CP-er here! I agree; a lot of these plants are rather hardy and easy. For anyone who is thinking about trying them out, go for it!

I love feeding mine flies and mosquitoes (man, that is so satisfying). I also have Sarracenia outside and they catch so many bugs, the pitchers will actually rot!
Share some pics! I'm hoping to find a new place next year with some outside space. Would love to get some Sarrs and others native to FL since I've got the perfect climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Great, my friend Jason (it is Jason, isn't it ?) - I love it ! Just what I need at my house !
Thanks for posting that info.
It's Josh

But I'm glad I could be of use! I definitely recommend them to people as interesting but fairly easy plants. I probably wouldn't recommend them as the most efficient way to get rid of insect pests, but they're quite possibly the most fun method!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassistjon112 View Post
I had a sundew pop up from some moss and I use my plant for this very thing. No more stupid little gnats.
They certainly do like hitchhiking!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #18
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
Here's a fairly recent pic of the full setup. Switched everything over to larger pots and changed up the media to just LFS for the dews and Neps. Trying out some live Sphagnum as a top dressing but it's already starting to brown at the tips...may need a higher water level.

Share some pics! I'm hoping to find a new place next year with some outside space. Would love to get some Sarrs and others native to FL since I've got the perfect climate.

It's Josh

But I'm glad I could be of use! I definitely recommend them to people as interesting but fairly easy plants. I probably wouldn't recommend them as the most efficient way to get rid of insect pests, but they're quite possibly the most fun method!

They certainly do like hitchhiking!
Darn it - sorry - I knew it was Josh - I just knew it - why I went for something else is a mystery. I won't make that mistake again - LOL
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #19
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Haha no worries Paul
Old 10-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #20
ruuuey
Algae Grower

I really want to try these kind of plants out but since I can only grow them indoors, my main concern is how to feed them. How often and how do you feed your plants?
ruuuey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruuuey View Post
I really want to try these kind of plants out but since I can only grow them indoors, my main concern is how to feed them. How often and how do you feed your plants?
Hardly at all. Maybe an occasional fly that I get a hold of and want to torture

Trapping mechanisms, although necessary for their survival, are actually not very efficient anyways which is why they aren't the best pest removal tools out there. But I love the plants anyways!

You can manually feed if you want, and some people have used "fish food" before like some liquified bloodworms...but I've never done that and my plants seem to do just fine with what they get sitting in water on a grow rack. There are also ways to safely fertilize the growing medium without going overboard, which would otherwise kill the plants, but I can't say I know of any off the top of my head that are safe for Drosera...some Nepenthes growers use coffee beans.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I always wanted these type plants...do they also eat "stink bugs" ?
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

I suppose if one wandered into a trap then they'd likely get stuck depending on the size and the plant...but like I said, not the most efficient way to get rid of insects.