Planning stages of 30 gallon baseball themed aquarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 09-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planning stages of 30 gallon baseball themed aquarium

So my buddy knows I've been into aquariums past 2 years and he and his wife want me to design a small tank for their 2 year old in a baseball theme. Wanted to share my ideas and ask for advice in this thread as it relates to fish selection, plant selection, and aquascape! I have posted a thread before (her: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...951&highlight=) but the title was misleading since I've upgraded to 30 gallon. Thanks for looking!

Inspiration: The family is into baseball and she being from Chicago, wants the design to look like Wrigley. So far, I found a plastic Wrigley scoreboard and purchased two McFarlane 6" action figures for the decoration. The "scene" will be Sosa batting and Halladay pitching. I am looking for a background that will give tank depth so was thinking I can add plants in the back to resemble the ivy (probably moneywort rather than a moss wall) and have a picture of the bleachers for the back. I was thinking the fish can be a school of cardinals (like the cubs colors - blue and red) and school of candycane/peppermint tetras since they are red and white. I have 2 emperor tetras in my discus tank that I would like to rehome to this tank and they could be umpires. I would add another 1 or 2 to increase the school.

Tank - 30 gallon (36.3" x 12.7" x 16.8")
Lighting - Marineland Doublebright LED 36"
Substrate - brown play sand, maybe green gravel to replicate a field

I am attaching a picture of what the tank looks like with 2 figures (Halladay coming in mail so I used another for now) with proposed background idea looking down 3rd line base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9-22-13 sm.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	212161  

Fish from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Any advice on mosses to use?

I am thinking a dark green small leaved moss like weeping moss for the back wall to look like the ivy at Wrigley field

I am thinking a lush green moss for the actual baseball field. Any suggestions?

The light will be LED and no CO2 injection. The tank is 18" high (standard 30 gallon)

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Are the the people getting the tank well versed in aquarium care? I would consider plants/moss that will be user friendly. I would hate to see this tank come together and then just get neglected b/c the new owners don't know what it's going to take to maintain the tank.
Italionstallion888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italionstallion888 View Post
Are the the people getting the tank well versed in aquarium care? I would consider plants/moss that will be user friendly. I would hate to see this tank come together and then just get neglected b/c the new owners don't know what it's going to take to maintain the tank.

They are not but I visit enough where I won't let it get bad. I get haircuts from the wife every 3 weeks or so.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

Moss lawn to hopefully grow in as a field

sponge covered plastic canvas tied with cotton thread

http://imgur.com/a/e027X#0
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

This is a pretty awesome idea, IMO. I personally wanted to emulate a golf course at one time, for not other reason than I thought it would look cool to take the idea of natural scaping on something man made. Needless to say, as I started planning it out, I realized I am not into golf and it would take a lot to do so. Another idea I had was to make a fish less tank, recreating a favorite/famous skate spot but realized I didn't have the time to make tons of concrete forms.

Sorry, long back story, I just like the idea, even as someone who has never been into fake plants, castles, shipwrecks, etc. Just saying that with a real plan, very cool.

If you are using moss, I would almost consider doing a bare bottom tank so you can maintain the brown sand more easily. With proper trimming, fissidens fontanus could probably look like grass but it is a bit dark. HC may be a better color but would also be much more involved.

Another idea that could be really cool is a shadow box background. You could take an image and have it printed on something transparent, almost like an old school projector slide. Here is one of many examples, search "shadow box aquarium background"
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

You can back light it with LED strips, I am a huge fan of RGB but you don't really need that, but it could be cool.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 gallon, aquascape, baseball, depth