fluval Ebi opinions.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
guatomallin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

fluval Ebi opinions.

Hello,
I am going to start my third planted aquarium. I don't have much space to work with so taller cube will do the trick. I have an eye on the Fluval Ebi. Would this be a wise choice? Do you guys have any criticisms? Maybe concerns? Could you please share your experiences with it?

Thank you!!
Guatomallin
guatomallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

I have a fluval flora myself, basically the same set up, just different substrate, a few planting tools ect ect.

I wasnt fond of the CO2 unit, better off without it IMO. Also if you plan to house shrimp in it it's best not to run CO2, espeically when you cant monitor it closely. An abundance of CO2 can and will kill your inverts, and fish, yet inverts are far more sensitive.

I liked the filter well enough, the spray bar was nice, but I did upgrade to a HOB Cannister filter, just to better off the tank. ATM I still have the stock lighting but will be upgrading soon. The light isn't bad, its just def low light. So keep that in mind when choosing plants.

A thing to be mindful of.... the 3-d background looks killer!!! But I awoke one morning after my tank had been set up about 2 months to find half my water on the floor, along with a few fish and the background floating. They do not attach it well enough. So be sure to resiclione it on if you intend to use it.

Besides upgrading a few things, or wanting to (since ive yet to get another light) I am happy with that tank. My only regret is I didnt know about the background before hand :P
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
primo
Algae Grower

Seconded on the 3D background. Pull it off and re-attach it yourself if you want to keep it in or it will come off.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Ainevar
Algae Grower

I started up an EBI myself about 3 weeks ago. So far it's been flourishing rather well. I have 8 new crypt sprouts. Still haven't found any shrimp for my tank yet because I haven't had any luck finding some at my LFS's. My tetras and zebra nerites are thriving though. Have 2 fry and half a dozen baby snails cruising the glass. All in all, I've been rather happy with the setup and equipment that came with it (I did decide to use CaribSea FloraMax substrate with some SeaChem Flourish tabs though) I did follow a lot of people's suggestions and silicone'd the hell out of the background just to make sure it doesn't pop off
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
guatomallin
Algae Grower

Thanks! Yes, thanks for the heads up on the background. I'm in my university dorm so I don't want to damage anything. I've also read that some tanks leak from the bottom. Is this true? What replacement lighting system would you recommend? I might just buy an other light fixture.

Thanks again!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mine hasnt ever leaked. Hope it doesnt ever!!! Eeep!

Im waiting until Finnex releases their Planted+ LED Fixture in early November. The 12' Finnex Fugreray or the Finnex Fugeray-R are also good choices.

Im waiting though as the Planted+ will have BOTH red & blue LEDs. The two mentioned above you have to choose between one or the other, Fugeray has moonlights, the Fugeray-r has Red LEDs.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Since you're not going to be using most of the stuff the "kit" comes with, IMO, you'd be better off buying a tank and equipment separately.

Check out the high clarity low iron rimless glass tanks from truaqua.com. They sell Aquatop cubes that are excellent quality at a good price (ADA quality, without the hefty price).

You can get any filter and light you want. Piece the stuff together, it's much better. Do you want to go low tech or high tech? What type of plants are you thinking of growing?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

I'd get this over the EBI any day...

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-high...be-hcc-12.html

Then get a Finnex Fugeray-r clip light... or wait for the Fugeray planted plus if you want more intensity.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
ivan.f
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I love my Fluval Ebi. I have HOB filter(s) with a 60watt CFL lamp that's attached to it.

It's under going a bit of a change. I am going to make a journal soon
ivan.f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats actually a really good idea. If I would start over with my Fluval, Id go this route myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
I'd get this over the EBI any day...

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-high...be-hcc-12.html

Then get a Finnex Fugeray-r clip light... or wait for the Fugeray planted plus if you want more intensity.
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
guatomallin
Algae Grower

Yes, I just ordered one. Now that I'm getting a bare tank. What other products from TruAgua do you recommend? A quiet filter maybe? I'm setting this up in my college dorm!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im not too familar with thier products. But if you're open to other companies filters I really like my Tom Rapid's Mini Cannister Filter. Super quiet and has a spray bar. Also loads of room for media, to add in whatever you want. I run Purigen and the media thingys (forget what theyre called.. lol) in mine. Also it's rated for up to 20g.
IMO can't beat it for the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Rapids-Canister-hang-tank/dp/B000YJ0M1E http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Rapids-Canister-hang-tank/dp/B000YJ0M1E

And as far as heaters go I use the Hydor Theo Heater 50w. Its small, being only 7'' & has an adjustable temp control. Which, for me, was hard to find in a smaller heater.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-50W-Submersible-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B00061UQ6G http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-50W-Submersible-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B00061UQ6G
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

I've used the hydor Theo 25w in my 6g. It keeps temps stable.

For filter, depends on the looks your going for. Can't go wrong with an Aqua Clear 20 if you don't mind the looks of a HOB in the back. Otherwise, the mini canisters (as recommended by I<3<*))))><) are nice too... you can even attach nano glass Lily pipes if you'd like. I'd get the cheap ones from China though. Lol

What light did you decide on?

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 10-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: typo
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Also... substrate?

ADG shop has a clearance on ADA Aqua Soil. Most of it is cleared out but there's still a 3 liter bag of Amazonia left.

http://www.adgshop.com/Aqua_Soil_Amazonia_p/104-031.htm
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan.f View Post
I love my Fluval Ebi. I have HOB filter(s) with a 60watt CFL lamp that's attached to it.

It's under going a bit of a change. I am going to make a journal soon
What kind of filters are you using? Brand/model?
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote