trapezoid 1 gal shrimp tank. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #16
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Imo, it's more humane to cycle the tank before adding living creatures. You'll also find that using a little filter will keep you from having to be on top of always doing water changes (still have to do them, just not as often and not as large of an amount), it will keep the water more parameters more stable and aerated. I've used Tom's mini internal filters from Petsmart in my small tank, they're really quiet.
trixella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #17
calebkraft
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
Imo, it's more humane to cycle the tank before adding living creatures. You'll also find that using a little filter will keep you from having to be on top of always doing water changes (still have to do them, just not as often and not as large of an amount), it will keep the water more parameters more stable and aerated. I've used Tom's mini internal filters from Petsmart in my small tank, they're really quiet.
I can't imagine a filter being small enough for this tank. Then again, I haven't seen that one you mentioned yet. I plan on finding a tiny one for my son's betta tank.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Say Car Ramrod
Algae Grower

A lot of people use hagen mini filters. You would just need to find a way to reduce the flow though.

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk
Say Car Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
epiphany
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Since you're just doing shrimp, I would consider using a really small sponge filter as you shouldn't need much filtration at all in there. Anything else would likely take up half your tank.
epiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
Basil
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Get a tiny filter, I think cheapest/smallest is the Hagen Elite Mini @ around $7. Get or find some extra black sponges and glue it to the pre-filter so the shrimps don't get sucked in, also stick some in the output area. The flow is fairly strong.
Xenxes got that Hagen Mini to fit in a Marina 0.5gal 'tank' so it should fit this. Also if you don't want to go the desk lamp route I've got a brand new LED light from my Spec I'm not using if you're interested.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
calebkraft
Planted Member

Thanks for the offer on the LED, but I've already got the desk lamp set up and it seems to be doing ok. Tat is, unless you think your LED will fit inside my lid.

I got my shrimp in the mail and put a few in this tank. They seem fairly happy.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 AM   #22
zacheyp
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebkraft View Post
Thanks for the offer on the LED, but I've already got the desk lamp set up and it seems to be doing ok. Tat is, unless you think your LED will fit inside my lid.

I got my shrimp in the mail and put a few in this tank. They seem fairly happy.

nice shrimp!
zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
calebkraft
Planted Member

Full tank shot for good measure.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
calebkraft
Planted Member

Dwarf hairgrass has grown in quite well. If my scissors would fit in there I could trim it down, but I'm not too worried about it.

I just put that Hagen mini-elite filter in there since I really didn't have enough plants to keep the water clean. The flow out of that is pretty strong. I need to figure out a way to slow it down even more.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #25
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Foam at the intake will be your best friend to slow it down.. I found that out recently and am using it more and more often for strong flow issues...
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
calebkraft
Planted Member

Foam at the intake? It has foam in the intake. Are you saying to stuff more in there to try to restrict flow?

I saw Xenxe stuffed some foam in the output.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #27
vvDO
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I think he meant placing a piece of foam on the intake. You can also place foam over the outtake to reduce flow even further.
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
vvDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #28
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Depending on how it is set up, stuffing foam in the intake or "on" the intake can reduce the flow, does it have an inflow pipe? I have a small HOB filter where I put some foam inside the tube and that helped a lot, on another I put the foam around the intake... The extra foam is what reduces the flow
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #29
calebkraft
Planted Member

Ah, I see. No, the hagen mini elite is basically a powerhead that sucks water in through a sponge, even though the sponge is encased in plastic. I wrapped the inlet area in pantyhose to avoid sucking in any shrimplets and reduce flow, as well as added a little more material to the intake area. I suspect I'll have to shove some inside the outlet to really reduce the flow.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #30
cjstl
Planted Tank Obsessed

Curious, do you still have this tank going? I have one of these too. I managed to cram a 5 watt LED 5500K bulb into the existing fixture. Made the tank very bright and sparkly, but I had a hair algae explosion and my shrimp and snails couldn't keep up. Then moisture or something got under the plastic and the bulb went out. Was out for about a week, which took care of the hair algae. I just got a 3 watt replacement bulb, which seems more reasonable. I'm hoping my HC will grow out. It was doing pretty well with the old bulb, but withered quite a bit during the blackout period.

I have one tiny little yellow shrimp in there currently. He is an adult, but just never grew. My wife killed all the others by overfeeding when I was out of town, but this one is a survivor.

And FYI for anyone who finds this thread, I use the TOM Mini filter in this tank. Very quiet and works great. I found that by dumping the tiny bit of carbon that comes with the filter and cutting a piece of carbon filter pad, I could fit it in the holder. Works great for such a small tank, and I change it about once a month. One sheet of the carbon pad will last a lifetime for this filter.
cjstl is online now   Reply With Quote