Brian's ADA 60P (Ver. 2.5) + Ecoxotic E-Series (Starts Pg 34) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #31
keats
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

It's looking good Brian! I like the sand around the front, although I'm afraid that the stones might get lost in the UG. It will look awesome with a splash of red from the AR mini.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #32
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Thanks Joey.. yeah we'll see about the stones. Luckily I grabbed some GLA aquascaping wave scissors before they disappeared from that sale. I have no excuses to not keep the UG maintained

I have a lot of stems that turned green under wack lighting, like L. Aromatica, Rotala magenta, and r. colorata. Hopefully they'll color up after I move them.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #33
keats
Planted Member

I didn't get anything. I'm broke from setting up my tank lol. I like the look of all those stems. One I want to get is Ludwigia Senegalensis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #34
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Update: Day 1 Planted!

I'm not sure if I'm feeling the "collectoritis" aspect of it... I just decided to plant heavy to help getting the tank cycled and to help with the AS ammonia leaching. I'll probably start subtracting species of plants here and there... I might get mini AR so I'll definitely need room for that.

Also, I decided to plant some HC throughout the front until I get some UG. I'm in no particular rush so I just wanted to get something going in the meantime.

Here are some pics:

More fun with the LED colors... this one was taken at night on the sunset mode and my moodlighting set to purple

Here's a close-up of the sunsun 301 skimming... it works like a charm with just a couple slight modifications. I had a load of brown stuff floating on the surface after flooding the tank from the substrate... after I ran this little surface skimmer, it cleared it up like in 10 to 15 minutes (maybe less, I wasn't really timing it):

Video of the surface skimmer in action.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 PM   #35
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I don't think it looks too collectoritis. I think that as long as you keep the wood in mind as you trim, you can very easily achieve a nice background without it being over kill. When I saw the first sentence on my phone, I was like "oh no, not another natural scape with every species on the planet." But I think you did well so far, it will be more telling when it grows in. The background does make the wood's character show up more as well, which is a good thing.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #36
keats
Planted Member

Looks good Brian. The AR Mini will give a nice accent to the other plants. Excited to see it fill in. When you get that AR Mini going maybe we can trade some plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #37
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I don't think it looks too collectoritis. I think that as long as you keep the wood in mind as you trim, you can very easily achieve a nice background without it being over kill. When I saw the first sentence on my phone, I was like "oh no, not another natural scape with every species on the planet." But I think you did well so far, it will be more telling when it grows in. The background does make the wood's character show up more as well, which is a good thing.
Thank you for the reassurance that I just didn't blow the scape. You're right, I'll see how I feel after it grows out a bit. Yeah...I'm actually liking the black background. I honestly didn't think I'd like it because the majority of rimless tanks either have no background or a frosty opaque one. My other rimless tanks are that way, so I guess that's why I went this route with the 60p. Plus it's saving me $100+ on not having to buy a canister (yet)! Maybe Black Friday might change my mind? Lol
Old 10-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #38
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Joey! No doubt, if I get them, I'll hook you up.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #39
bud29
Planted Member

PTrader: (31/100%)

That scape definitely has potential Now comes the ever-present wait in planted tanks for things to fill in...

^Click banner to view group!

The few. The proud. The shrimpkeepers
RAOK Club Member #82

"Adding aquarium salt to improve slime coat is like pouring lemon juice in your eye to make it water."
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #40
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

man those lights are cool, I wish they could produce the par I need, if they did they would be mine!!!
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #41
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
man those lights are cool, I wish they could produce the par I need, if they did they would be mine!!!
Curious... what PAR are you looking for?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #42
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Curious... what PAR are you looking for?
40-50 but my tank is 22 inches deep plus the distance off the water, its a long way for those little LEDs to go.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #43
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

I don't have a PAR meter so I go by the advertised numbers... but it seems like you'd be able to achieve that if you consider a few inches in substrate height. You'll need to fixtures though like me.

PAR (source):
18” 28
24” 21
Old 10-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #44
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
I don't have a PAR meter so I go by the advertised numbers... but it seems like you'd be able to achieve that if you consider a few inches in substrate height. You'll need to fixtures though like me.

PAR (source):
18 28
24 21
ya im not sure two would quite cut it, that would give me the par i need in a few spots not the whole tank. I think im going with the finnex ray 2, for now anyway, maybe if they come out with something alittle more powerful I will switch, love the remote and the different modes. too cool.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #45
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Cool... well I know both Current and Finnex are in the works for a more powerful plant specific LED system. Might be worth waiting. But if you're in need now of a high PAR LED lighting solution, I'd go with a BML (buildmyled) fixture as my first choice -- I like the Dutch version personally... or the Marineland Aquatic Plant LED or 2x Finnex Fugeray Planted+. These have red diodes in the them to supplement the red wavelength (~620–740nm). Going with Ray 2's only, you'd have washed-out colors (it's very blue spectrum heavy). Red plants eventually fade to green... well that was my experience anyway, running Ray 2's on my 26g bow front (18" distance from light to sub). Go with full spectrum!