Build Your Own Spectrum
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Build My LED

Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Build My LED
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Build Your Own Spectrum

Good news!!! Our LED Configurator is now back online with a dedicated website! Build your custom LED spectrum today!

http://www.bmlcustom.com/

Nick
Build My LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Thanks for putting this up, I've been playing with this all morning! Wondering what the led mixes are for your other lights? Is that on the website anywhere? I made a custom for maxing out CRI closest to 5000K, it's all 3500K's with a Royal Blue and two Cyans.

http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-repo...FFOFFFLFFFOFFF
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Build My LED
Sponsor

Yes, all of the LED configurations are listed on the product pages. Scroll down an click on the 'Product Info' tab. The LEDs selections are listed on this tab. I also have 3D models of the various configurations. As an example, here is the Dutch Planted Spectrum 6300K.

Nick

PS - Be careful when using CRI as the main driver when configuring a custom spectrum. There are some inherent problems with the CRI scale, and this can lead to a sub-optimized lighting system for an aquarium.

Nick
Old 11-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Thanks Nick! Can you point me to some reading material detailing CRI drawbacks? I figured if I had a high CRI and a color temp that I liked I'd be doing well.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Build My LED
Sponsor

No problem :-) There are two big drawbacks to chasing a high CRI value. Number 1, to get the highest CRI values, you need to use green and cyan LEDs which have low quantum/radiometric efficiencies. This means they do not produce as much light as red/blue LEDs for a given amount of electricity. Hence, the PAR values in your tank will be lower than using more efficient LEDs (white, red, blue). Number 2, there are many studies that show that people actually prefer lights with lower CRI values. This is because the CRI scale punishes a light for saturating any of the individual test colors. In blind studies, people tend to like saturated colors (i.e. brighter red plants), so the CRI value on these lights are low. We manufacture lights for the architectural/commercial market, and this is a topic we address on a regular basis. For instance, a retailer really wants their apples to look stunning in the produce department, so we add more red content to slightly saturate the red colors on the produce. This leads to a lower CRI, but higher produce sales. Dr. Yoshi Ohno at NIST has published many great articles on the subject.

Hope this helps,
Nick