Hillstream/Borneo Loach Refuge - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #46
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

its been running like for month with no ill effects. i think it is at equialibrum

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #47
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

so its been three months since i gave the rock to my friend, and everytime i ask him about it he says something about, how the rock is hard and its taking a long time to get it done. blah blah blah.

i'm getting irritated, and i don't know what to say to him about my rock...i really want to put this tank together, but i can't do anything until i get the rock from him. ugh! i thought about just using some of the river rocks from home depot just so i can have this tank, or using flagstone scrape from a landscape store. its not how i want the tank, but i want the tank running...

Old 09-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #48
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

well i said screw it, i'm gonna set up the tank with rocks i have in other tanks, and things i can get from fellow planted tank people here in San Antonio. so last week i ordered my light, the Current Satellite Freshwater LED +. i wanted the coolest toy that is out there.

i really wanted it for the controller. i work in a LFS here in SA, i see all those awesome lights on Saltwater and i am very jealous. i'm not concerned with the PAR value of the light, which i know there is some concern over, because that tank will be full of anubias and other low light plants that can handle high flow.

i noticed that with the new light i was finally able to get a photo of the stand that shows the color of it.

then i bought my bottle of spray paint and painted the back of the tank.

after tank dried i took it up stairs a put the light on it....look how deep the tank looks now.

i went ahead and ordered the sand today aswell. i went with caribsea super naturals. i looked into play sand and blasting, but i was not confident that the grains were small enough, or that they were smooth enough for the safety of all of my bottom dwellers. the caribsea stuff (on bag at least) says it is great for rays, and sand sifting bottom dwellers. that sounds perfect for what i am doing.

i have a 50lb bag coming at some point....sooner the better.

Last edited by Aquatic Delight; 09-04-2013 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: sand delivery changed
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #49
Harrisgo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Boooo!! I say you hunt that dude down and forcefully make him cut your stone! I was really looking forward to your original plan.
Harrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #50
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

the original idea is still in play, and will happen whenever he finishes the rock. i still call him about it every week or so. but i'm tired of waiting, i want this tank set up. in my mind this tank is going to be the most beautiful tank i have, and i want to stare at it.

anyway i picked up this massive thing at a granite store the other day for nothing.

its a little thinner than i want, and not the color i wanted. i wanted a black granite, but this piece is almost exactly the dimensions i wanted. i think its gonna look great.

my plan is to lay some egg crate under it to get it up to the height i need it, so that sand won't fall on it and get blown around, and i can have a proper substrate depth. i'm going to pick up some PVC to run the spray bar down to the rock, instead of hose. That way i can paint it black and hide some of the pipe.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #51
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Default It is done!!!!!

i finally got off the bits together!

i got my pieces all put together, the intake and outflow with spraybar. i was going to build one with PVC, but i lucked out and we happended to have a black already made spray bar
i went with the black tubing to keep everything clean. i used krylon fusion to paint everything, I even painted the surface skimmer (that was grey) and the j tube that was blue.

(the spray bar)

then there is the 50lb bag of sand, which turned out to be over kill, i have about 10lbs leftover, and all the sand still in the old tank.

i just now realized that i didn't take any photos as things went together so whoops on that one. but here is the equip running over the back of the tank

i had a hell of a time priming one of the canisters. it took me about 30mins to realize that i could turn the inside of the tank tube part upward and fill it from there

so i finally got the canister primed and running. at which point i found a leak.....right here
it took 4 sealings to get the leak to stop. it was amazingly annoying. finally i just covered the freaking thing in PVC glue and it worked.

anyway it took about 5 or 6 hours get the tank all put together and not leaking. like i said this isn't what i had planned in my head but it looks great

all of that actually came from this bad boy who had been running for a year and 7 months.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #52
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

The Current inhabitants of this tank are as follows.

2 Hillstream loaches (Sewellia lineolata)
1 Spiney-headed hillstream loach (Gastromyzon punctulatus)
8 white cloud mountain minnows
3 double red agassizi (1 male 2 female)
4 assorted corys
4 panda corys
3 bamboo shrimp

The Equipment on this tank is
1 Rena Filstar XP 2
1 Rena Filstar XP L
and the Current Satellite LED+

Old 09-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #53
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

i am in love with this tank. it is the biggest tank i've had.

all my fish love it, and i have to say i am shocked at how many of my fish play in the high flow areas of the tank. of course the loaches play in it, and the white clouds, but the female agassizis hang out in it, and even the cories love swimming it.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #54
Fishumms
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I want to do this now.
Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #55
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Dude this is bad ass!! And that apisto in the pic is gorgeous.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #56
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

thanks guys. i appreciate the kind words.

fishumms, you should do it. this build is a lot of fun, i really enjoyed planning this out, and thinking about current, and how it is going to be affected by the rocks, and the objects in the current, and figuring out how to get as much flow as possible.

thanks tattooed, i love that guy (almost as much as my borelli) he has been with me for almost a year. hes got two females that he loves to chase around.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #57
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

okay so i had a very long post typed up about my trip to pick up my Gastromyzon myersi, but then i some how clicked the back button on my browser and lost it all. so the short version is this.

i bought 5 Gastromyzon myersi, as is par for the course only 2 are actually myersi.

i think on is Gastromyzon stellatus, but i'm not postive, because the photos of stellatus show them as a brown of cream color, and mine is dark black. but he does have the body shape and size, so who knows.

another one is Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, which is also the common name for Gastromyzon ocellatus, but the common name for Gastromyzon ctenocephalus is Gastromyzon punctulatus.

i think one may be Gastromyzon cornusaccus, but again i'm not certain. there is only a couple photos out there i have found that are good and clear, but this one has been hiding since i put them in i'm going off memory on this one.

and one i'm pretty sure is a undescribed species. sadly i don't have photos of the new ones they aren't spending much time in areas i can get good photos, but i'm keeping my eyes on them for a good photo op.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #58
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I really enjoyed reading your build, those loaches are awesome fish and I think it turned out great. I've got high flow in my 12 and it's fun to watch the fish hang out in the current.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #59
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
I really enjoyed reading your build, those loaches are awesome fish and I think it turned out great. I've got high flow in my 12 and it's fun to watch the fish hang out in the current.

thanks zodd. your tank is fantastic! i wish i could keep a scape like that, i have plantitis where i want everything and i will stuff it whereever i can find space.

i was able to get a couple photos of the new guys today.

the tail of the above

its been very hard to get photos of these guys, they are very shy right now, and only seem to come out when the light is dim, which makes photos harder than they already are. i still have 3 more not pictured, two are very large and maybe larger than my Sewellia lineolata. i'm hoping for a good photo of them tomorrow.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #60
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Doing some water parameter testing today
In Tank
PH:
GH: 8
KH: 3
Nitrate: 40
TDS: 174

Ro/DI water before adding to tank
PH:6
GH: 4
KH: 1
Nitrate: 0
TDS: 2

after remineralizing in jug (1/2tea per 5g)
PH:7.4
GH:
KH:5
Nitrate:
TDS: 220

i got hungry so i will have to finish this stuff on another W/C. but i am going to increase the amount of water i am removing during w/c as my nirAtes are too high. i will now do 10g instead of 5g

Tags
borneo loach, gastromyzon, hillstream loach, hypergastromyzon, sewellia