New 40 gallon breeder
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
CDNeon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New 40 gallon breeder

I've been away from the hobby for about a year. My old landlord came by for an unexpected visit and I abruptly discovered I couldn't keep aquariums, so I bought a house. (I kid. I've been in the market for a house for a couple of years and everything finally came together.)

In any case, here is my brand new 40 gallon breeder! It's currenly 5 days after planting, all plants were added at the same time.

Filtration: Marineland Magnum 350 and Fluval 204 (mainly for extra media space)

Lighting: A work in progress. 2x39w T5HO @ 5000k (30" on 36" fixture)
2x24w T5HO @ 6700k (20" on 24" fixture)
I currently have the big lights up front for carpeting, and the small lights in back for the taller plants. Currently running a 9 hour light cycle as I figure things out.

Substrate: Flourite base; Eco Complete for main layer; capped with fine aquarium sand (to keep the DHG firmly planted). Root tabs added under bigger plants.

CO2: Pressurized. Too many BPS to count. Fed directly into the intake of the Magnum 350. This is the first time I've seen pearling in my plants! Even the Hair Grass has tiny bubbles at the tips. You can really see it going on the java fern at the far left of the wood (I just wish I could link a higher quality photo...) (again, see photoperiod mentioned above. Will adjust as needed)

Plants: from small to big: Dwarf Hair Grass; Staurogyne Repens; Pogostemon Helferi; Cyperus Helferi; Narrow Leaf Java Fern; Regular Java Fern; C. Wendtii (Red and Green); Alternanthera Reineckii "cardinalis;" C. Balansae; Amazon Sword (I already want to pull this out, but my Balansae is still oh so small, so I needed some height in the back.) Oh, and moss. Not sure what kind of moss, just the mossy kind of moss.

Fetilizer: EI dosing

Fish: 5 Otoncilus; 5 Nerite Snails; 5 Neon Tetras; 2 Albino Corydoras (better match to sand color); 1 Betta. Coming soon: 15 Harlequin Rasboras.

Decor: Local River driftwood (literally the very first piece of approriately sized wood I found on the beach. It was pretty amazing.) River rocks (which very closely match the color of the sand, which I'm happy for.)

Thoughts and criticisms greatly appreciated! Discussion points I'd especially love to hear: are the conditions appropriate for DHG? This is my first real attempt at carpeting plants. In the past, I've had a bare foreground leading straight into some low growing Crypts. Also, how about 2 angelfish to go with the schooling rasboras? The Betta is content and has many areas where he can float lazily, so I assume the angels will be content. Lastly, I know I need shrimps for inevitable cleanup, but none of use are sold in my area (unless I want to spend TEN DOLLARS on ONE cherry red shrimp!!!) and I'll have to order them online.

Lastly, the giant boulder on the driftwood is temporary. It is merely weighing the wood down as the wood become waterlogged!

Thanks for looking!
CDNeon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

wow, that looks nice! it will be quite the looker once it fills in.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

That's a nice looking tank. I think you have a great start and I'm guessing you'll have good luck with the DHG in there, but I'm not an expert on it.

The only off think is that my eye jumps to that rock that looks like it's floating. Is it sitting on the stump? Are you just using it to hold the stump down for now? I don't know that it's a very natural placement, but maybe it looks different from another angle.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
CDNeon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
The only off think is that my eye jumps to that rock that looks like it's floating. Is it sitting on the stump? Are you just using it to hold the stump down for now? I don't know that it's a very natural placement, but maybe it looks different from another angle.
Yep. The boulder is entirely utilitarian. The wood is not yet waterlogged and I - having all he materials ready to setup and plant - decided to just weigh the thing down and force it to waterlog over the course of a few (days, weeks, months?) It will be gone as soon as the wood stays sunk
Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNeon View Post
Yep. The boulder is entirely utilitarian. The wood is not yet waterlogged and I - having all he materials ready to setup and plant - decided to just weigh the thing down and force it to waterlog over the course of a few (days, weeks, months?) It will be gone as soon as the wood stays sunk
That's what I figured/hoped. I kept staring at it thinking it made no sense to me because the rest of your scape was so well done.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
CDNeon
Algae Grower

Default 3 week photo update

Well, 3 weeks since the last photo, but tank has been up for about a month.

Fell off the grid for a bit, but I have some updated photos to show tank progress. So far, I'm happy. I've moved some things around, as you can see. Small algae issues, but overall I enjoy the tank more than I fuss over it.

My favorite angle:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by CDNeon; 09-26-2013 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: timeline clarification
Old 09-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
fishtank
Algae Grower

Nice looking tank!
fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
tizzite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I like it a lot, I think it's gonna look great when everything fills in.

I want to eventually get a big tank with corys and tetras that spawn. ember tetras or galaxy rasboras would be cool too.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
CDNeon
Algae Grower

Talking

Thanks FishTank!

Thanks Tizzite! I agree, and I'm super anxious to see the DHG carpet and for the java fern and crypts in the wood to really bush out. Hopefully we'll see more plants than wood in the end.

... "super anxious"... I'm probably the worst person to keep a planted aquarium.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #10
CDNeon
Algae Grower

Default 1 month update

A quick update of my full tank shots. setup, 2 weeks, 3 weeks and just over a month:

and today's detail shot:

Thanks for looking and, as always, I love feedback!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.