92 gallon Corner Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

92 gallon Corner Tank

Good Day everyone,

After years of having fish only, with a few basic plants - i've recently purchased a 92 gallon corner tank and plan to have it heavily planted.

After reading around here, I decided to use Miracle Gro Organic Potting mix for the bottom (about 1 inch) with a 2 inch cap of Flourite/Carib Sea mix.

Here are the first pics

http://imgur.com/rjit3M4

http://imgur.com/AjxTomd

http://imgur.com/4peEcpT

Initial stocking plans are Otos and Congo Tetras, still deciding what else to add after that.

Any thoughts and ideas are great!

thanks!
Veritas is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Erichenderson02
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm really impressed with the color coordination (intentional, or not) that you have going on between the stand and the substrate. Looks really cool!! I also like the wood centerpiece you have

My recommendation would be to check out the For sale/WTB/RAOK sections of the forum to source some plants grown by members.

I just bought plants from 3 members and saved a TON of money than if I bought them anywhere else.

Looks good so far, hope to see more soon!

Good luck

-Eric
Old 09-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks! I'd love to claim credit for the color coordination - but it happened by chance. I definitely was pleased with the outcome of it though
Old 11-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://i.imgur.com/eItsCwf.jpg

Update time! Everything is going smoothly so far. co2 system has reallllly helped with plant growth.

Fish Include:
10 Black Neon Tetras
9 Neon Tetras
8 Diamond Tetras
6 Otos
5 Congo Tetras
3 Fancy Guppies
1 Siamese Algae Eater

Inverts:
10 Ghost Shrimp
10-20 misc snail hitchhikers

Plants:
Dwarf Hairgrass, Ludwigia, Rotala, Amazon Sword, Myrio, and a couple others that I can't remember.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

looking good.

How is your DHG doing? You tank doesnt look super bright and I wondering if you are finding it is spreading well, It usually likes some more intense light for it to spread.

Keep trimming and replanting your stems if you want them to be fuller.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
looking good.

How is your DHG doing? You tank doesnt look super bright and I wondering if you are finding it is spreading well, It usually likes some more intense light for it to spread.

Keep trimming and replanting your stems if you want them to be fuller.
It's growing, but not spreading out quite yet. I've only had co2 going for about a week, the co2 definitely made it come alive.

Lighting wise - I have 4 x T5HO, (4 x 39w) so I thought that would be enough, but the fixture ( Aquasun Quad T5HO) doesn't seem to have a great reflector. Should I add another fixture?
Old 11-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
It's growing, but not spreading out quite yet. I've only had co2 going for about a week, the co2 definitely made it come alive.

Lighting wise - I have 4 x T5HO, (4 x 39w) so I thought that would be enough, but the fixture ( Aquasun Quad T5HO) doesn't seem to have a great reflector. Should I add another fixture?

Well you dont want to get carried away as you will end up with algae issues. Really the DHG is the only thing that really requires additional light to really spread. Maybe if you could get a really focused light for the foreground, that way you would be getting it where you need it. The rotala and stem plants are probably getting good light from your existing fixture.

A 92 gallon corner is pretty deep so its tough to get strong light all the way to the substrate. I have a 55 gallon corner and its tough to get a light that has enough intensity 24" inches away from the substrate. I have a finnex ray II directly over my dhg and its sprouting new shoots like crazy.
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
Well you dont want to get carried away as you will end up with algae issues. Really the DHG is the only thing that really requires additional light to really spread. Maybe if you could get a really focused light for the foreground, that way you would be getting it where you need it. The rotala and stem plants are probably getting good light from your existing fixture.

A 92 gallon corner is pretty deep so its tough to get strong light all the way to the substrate. I have a 55 gallon corner and its tough to get a light that has enough intensity 24" inches away from the substrate. I have a finnex ray II directly over my dhg and its sprouting new shoots like crazy.
Yeah, The shape of a corner tank definitely makes things more difficult.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

3 Month Update time!

http://i.imgur.com/2e9H6f9.jpg

The DHG has exploded with growth - and the Rotalla/Ludwigia are needing weekly trims. I think i'm going to have to start selling or RAOKing out some of it.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
Veritas
Planted Tank Obsessed

5 Month update! Added a 36 inch Finnex Ray2, and 36 inch Planted+, loving the light from these fixtures.