25 high low tech re-scape. "Angel scape"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
spiraling
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

25 high low tech re-scape. "Angel scape"

I have my 25 high that is somewhat neglected. The inhabitant is my angel fish "sanchez". I didn't plan to keep him in this tank, but since he didn't do well in the larger community tank I want to make this tank a nice home for him for now (larger tank in the plans for him later).

tank: 25 high (24" x 12" x 18")
lighting: coralife 48 W T5HO
filter: aqueon hob
CO2: none (do not want to add any)
Ferts: none (but plan to change that)
Substrate: play sand and petrified wood (gonna stick with this for now)

Current fauna:
a bunch of broken up marimo balls with hair algae on them
a little bit of java fern widelov glued to the rocks that isn't growing.
anubis (behind the rocks)
the green plant on the right - I don't know what it is but its one of the few I haven't killed regardless of my bad plant-keeping habits
amazon sword (small and behind the rocks, currently wilting)
new crypts - balanese

current fish:
1 angelfish
2 otos

It had an aluminum foil background, which wasn't bad, but I would like to try something new.

The plan:
1 - rearrange the rocks. I added tape crosses to see where a focal point should be. So far I haven't hit any of them
2 - add healthy plants. I think I will keep the crypts and java fern, but get rid of the rest. The crypts shoud get tall so I will move them to the background. I'm looking for a nice leafy midground - maybe some Ludwigia repen. Then I want some pigmy chain sword around the rocks as a foreground plant. KISS with 4 plant types. That should be enough for now.
3 - add bottom dwellers. Sanchez always swims up high. Maybe a few peacock gudgeons would be fun.
4 - get a brighter background to show off the rocks. maybe light blue?
5 - Keep lots of swimming room for Sanchez, and open areas and caves below.

I don't have very good local selection so I will have to mail order most plants and fish. Wish me luck!
spiraling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
spiraling
Algae Grower

I worked on the background this weekend. I coated a piece of acrylic with the glass frosting paint. Then I added a piece of fabric to give a little color.

I took out all of the petrified wood and scrubbed it down to get the algae off. It looks better but is still green in spots. I'm not sure I love this arrangement. Maybe with plants it will look better? I ordered my plants and they will hopefully arrive next week.

My camera is adding the light splash on the tank. Sorry about that
Old 09-26-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
spiraling
Algae Grower

Default 25h low tech 'Angel Scape'

The plants arrived today.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
Nestle_
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

whats the rating on the bulbs? 6500? For how deep a 20high is I would say 6500 is a minimum, especially with those plants who are also going to need ferts and co2. I highly suggest DIY co2, cheap and easy and very very helpful to all plants.
Consider adding a branch like driftwood piece or two just to add some height to the tank, and help your angel like the place better with some cover. this also gives you more options for more plants/moss. Consider maybe anubius to try and grow on the rocks? It grows slow generally, and won't consume the rock making it impossible to see over time.
Also with only having play sand as the substrate you'll need to keep giving root tabs or something similar fairly often. If you like the look of the play sand then consider using a plant substrate below the sand, since you just put the plants in this would be a good time to do it before they try and get established. If you go this route then get something that won't float, scum up your water, etc. Most flourite's are good for this an easy to find at most LFS. EcoComplete is another option, but mine tends to turn the play sand a black color. Avoid light substrates like fluval's, though they look good and could actually cap over the sand.

PM me info and what happened with trying to move the angel to your community, I'm curious about that.

Last edited by Nestle_; 09-26-2013 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: weeeeeeee
Nestle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

That's a beautiful angel!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
spiraling
Algae Grower

Thanks GMYukon!
Its my first angel and I really like his personality.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
spiraling
Algae Grower

Default 25g low tech 'angel scape'

The plants have been growing nicely. Then I ordered some fish from wet spot tropical and I needed more quarentine space. I moved Sanchez to the QT and added the new fish in here for a couple of weeks. 12 congos, 10 rhombo barbs and a pair of apisto.

Yes I added plastic plants and bio balls from the heavily cycled QT tank. I figured this tank has more space but might be light on bio filtration. They have been in a week and all are doing well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.