dirt questions - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
TraceyW
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: FT Collins,CO
Posts: 150
Default

As far as your fish go while switching, you can always get a cheap 20 gallon plastic pail, take some water from the tank to fill it up, move whatever fish you need to into it. Fry love it. I throw some plants in there and have an outside tub on my patio for my guppies in the summer and they thrive well. You'd only need to use a submersible heater if we were having temp swings that were getting a bit low at night. You should be good for a few weeks still though. Just another thing to consider. =)
TraceyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mojo028's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyW View Post
As far as your fish go while switching, you can always get a cheap 20 gallon plastic pail, take some water from the tank to fill it up, move whatever fish you need to into it. Fry love it. I throw some plants in there and have an outside tub on my patio for my guppies in the summer and they thrive well. You'd only need to use a submersible heater if we were having temp swings that were getting a bit low at night. You should be good for a few weeks still though. Just another thing to consider. =)
That's not a bad idea, maybe i'll just fill up my 29 G project tank and put them in there while everything settles.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mojo028's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 319
Default

Well the transformation has begun, and I couldn't be happier with the tank.

So I ended up using miracle-grow, since I couldn't justify an hour drive to denver to buy dirt, and we live five minutes from home depot.

I also bought some clay for iron for the rotala colorata, and capped it with some black Tahitian sand I already had.

I then took some trimmings from my son's tank and put them in there, I will be making a DIY CO2 system for this tank as well.

So here's some pictures of the tank, it's still not finished but I'm not putting the driftwood in until the babies go back in, since they like hiding around it in their temporary home.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378168169407.jpg (46.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378168200517.jpg (43.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378168213553.jpg (41.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378168228811.jpg (39.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378168245117.jpg (44.1 KB, 9 views)
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #19
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mojo028's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 319
Default

I'm open to suggestions, and I have a lot of clay and half a bag of dirt still if anybody wants to trade some trimmings for either or both.

I will also share them if you don't have any trimmings to offer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #20
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 890
Default

After seeing alot of people going with dirt tanks it's made me want to set up another dirt tank lol... I think I'm going the mineralized topsoil route with my Evolve 4 nano tank, glad because I still have a bag of the earth essentials organic topsoil that's already been sifted and just sitting around...
__________________
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #21
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mojo028's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
After seeing alot of people going with dirt tanks it's made me want to set up another dirt tank lol... I think I'm going the mineralized topsoil route with my Evolve 4 nano tank, glad because I still have a bag of the earth essentials organic topsoil that's already been sifted and just sitting around...
I thought about doing my evolve tank as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 AM   #22
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 890
Default

I say go for it!!!

I'm thinking of tearing down my topless 6 gallon edge, and making it a dirt tank as well. But that won't happen til next weekend since it's time I focus on my 55 gallon tank, since I finally got a replacement 55 gallon because my original 55 gallon tank got a un-repairable chip in the glass. So all this week is dedicated to tearing down the old 55 gallon tank, and getting the new one ready to set up.
__________________
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #23
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mojo028's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
I say go for it!!!

I'm thinking of tearing down my topless 6 gallon edge, and making it a dirt tank as well. But that won't happen til next weekend since it's time I focus on my 55 gallon tank, since I finally got a replacement 55 gallon because my original 55 gallon tank got a un-repairable chip in the glass. So all this week is dedicated to tearing down the old 55 gallon tank, and getting the new one ready to set up.
Oh that sucks!

But at least you got a new one already.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #24
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mojo028's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 319
Default

Here's a update on the tank.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1378696332431.jpg (60.2 KB, 11 views)
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
BruceF
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Centennial,Co
Posts: 1,146
Default

Looks like the plants are doing well! Nice progress.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mojo028's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Looks like the plants are doing well! Nice progress.
Yeah everything is looking great I added some more stuff, so i'll update the picture later today.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #27
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Mojo028's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 319
Default

Ok so I finished the tank, and the babies have been in there for a week now.

I still have to dip the back and re make the CO2, my last batch didn't work for some reason.

I just wanted to do an update for now.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1380146732755.jpg (70.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1380146752632.jpg (67.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1380146794239.jpg (66.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1380146807942.jpg (74.7 KB, 5 views)
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012